ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless DMX on a budget  (Read 23930 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Wireless DMX on a budget
« on: February 14, 2014, 05:31:11 PM »

I normally post in LAB regarding sound questions but I have a lighting question and was hoping someone could help me.
I think the answer will be "You cannot do this without investing some $$$'s"

My main focus is PA in small to medium sized venues but I like to offer lights as a bonus. I had a very nice easy set-up - snake from the stage to my mixer out front for sound and  DMX cable run along with snake to controller next to the mixer.
Then I replaced the controller with mac lighting software, connected through the enttec interface . All was good.

Recently I purchased an Allen & Heath QU 16 digital mixer which enables me to mix remotely from my iPad. This has allowed me to place the mixer near or on the stage and I can sit out in the audience to mix. So, now I no longer have the ability to control the lights from where I place the mixer and if I want to use the iPad for sound, I have to run back to the controller/laptop to change the lights.
I only really need to be able to blackout and maybe change the chase speed once in a while so I do not need anything elaborate. I usually only set up 8 Par 64 led cans.
Is there an inexpensive way to use my ipad and a free (or inexpensive) software program to have very basic control of my lights??
Thank you
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Ray Cerwinski

Re: Wireless DMX on a budget
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 05:36:24 PM »

Luminair and the appropriate ArtNet to DMX converter?
Ray Cerwinski

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 05:55:26 PM »

You might try using Splashtop or another remote desktop program to control your lighting software with your iPad. Also if the lighting software can accept MIDI inputs that opens up a lot of possibilities with network MIDI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 06:04:16 PM »

Luminair and the appropriate ArtNet to DMX converter?
Thanks for the response Ray.
So my investment is minimally $400 plus to do the job, right?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 07:45:56 PM »

Thanks for the response Ray.
So my investment is minimally $400 plus to do the job, right?
Try the various remote desktop applications to control your existing lighting computer from your Ipad.  I like the VNC variants of remote desktop.  Many are free or only a few $.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 08:11:52 PM »

Well - what Tommy and Tom said got me thinking and I came across a free app called Teamviewer. I installed it and VOILA !!! I just controlled my lights from my iPad...I am stoked!! Thanks all for your helpful suggestions......

To clarify...I controlled my macbook from my ipad which in turn controlled my lights...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:14:32 PM by Debbie Dunkley »

Chris Buford

• SR Forums
  • Richmond, VA
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 10:15:48 PM »

Well - what Tommy and Tom said got me thinking and I came across a free app called Teamviewer. I installed it and VOILA !!! I just controlled my lights from my iPad...I am stoked!! Thanks all for your helpful suggestions......

To clarify...I controlled my macbook from my ipad which in turn controlled my lights...

If you decide you need actual wireless DMX I've had great success with Blizzard's wireless systems. I have a Lightcaster as a transmitter and a WiCicle as a receiver. Cost me under $400

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 10:30:05 PM »

Debbie,

If I recall correctly, you're in Raleigh.  I have Luminaire on my iPad and an Enttec wifi-dmx dongle.  You're welcome to come check it out if you'd like.  I mostly use it for installed systems, but I've had great luck with it.  The newest software update also has a sound active mode using the iPad's mic input. 

Rob Gow

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 10:34:20 PM »

If you decide you need actual wireless DMX I've had great success with Blizzard's wireless systems. I have a Lightcaster as a transmitter and a WiCicle as a receiver. Cost me under $400

I use DMXIS to control my lights, and then I use TouchOSC to control DMXIS via iPad or even from my iPhone. For a simple gig, I'll have one light on each main lighting up the band. This app gives me control over each light independently. 

I make up a number of scenes and I can move up or down a scene, strobe and blackout along with RGBAW and dimmer control for each light.

The good thing is you create your own interface.

The bad thing is staring at a blank screen, trying to create your own interface.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 11:03:28 PM »

Debbie,

If I recall correctly, you're in Raleigh.  I have Luminaire on my iPad and an Enttec wifi-dmx dongle.  You're welcome to come check it out if you'd like.  I mostly use it for installed systems, but I've had great luck with it.  The newest software update also has a sound active mode using the iPad's mic input.

I'd like that at some point Scott. thank you for the offer. I'd definitely prefer to not have to lug around my macbook if possible so I'm still looking at other options.
My thing is that I'm mainly into sound and not that interested in lights really but I have 'aquired' a decent  array of LED's and might as well have some fun with them.  I don't even use all what I have due to the time constraints in some of these places round here. I hardly get enough time to set up and sound check the PA so the last thing I need is something complicated you know???

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 11:03:28 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.