ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless DMX on a budget  (Read 24007 times)

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
Re: Wireless DMX on a budget
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 09:16:22 AM »

Martin Lightjockey has it built in. You just turn it on and use a browser to go to the assigned IP. You can create a custom html page or use the automatically created one. You can set everything to be controlled through the browser. I have used my ipad and iphone to control it many times.
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 12:12:17 PM »

I'd like that at some point Scott. thank you for the offer. I'd definitely prefer to not have to lug around my macbook if possible so I'm still looking at other options.
My thing is that I'm mainly into sound and not that interested in lights really but I have 'aquired' a decent  array of LED's and might as well have some fun with them.  I don't even use all what I have due to the time constraints in some of these places round here. I hardly get enough time to set up and sound check the PA so the last thing I need is something complicated you know???

I think Luminaire is about as simple as it gets, especially because it's sending the commands directly from the iPad, no computer required.  It can also record DMX snapshots from your current program, although I haven't tried this yet. 

One thing to note, it does require a wi-fi network.  I'd recommend bringing your own rather than depending on the venue.  A $99 Airport Express works great.  It also has an audio out, so you could theoretically use the iPad to play music wirelessly via Airplay in between sets. 

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 07:36:03 PM »

I think Luminaire is about as simple as it gets, especially because it's sending the commands directly from the iPad, no computer required.  It can also record DMX snapshots from your current program, although I haven't tried this yet. 

One thing to note, it does require a wi-fi network.  I'd recommend bringing your own rather than depending on the venue.  A $99 Airport Express works great.  It also has an audio out, so you could theoretically use the iPad to play music wirelessly via Airplay in between sets.

I'm already using a Cisco router for the QU16 and ipad and Dick Rees had mentioned to me he has the Airport Express and the fact he can play break music from the iPad. I love that idea.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 07:36:35 PM »

Martin Lightjockey has it built in. You just turn it on and use a browser to go to the assigned IP. You can create a custom html page or use the automatically created one. You can set everything to be controlled through the browser. I have used my ipad and iphone to control it many times.

This sounds like it would keep things very simple....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 07:39:54 PM »

I use DMXIS to control my lights, and then I use TouchOSC to control DMXIS via iPad or even from my iPhone. For a simple gig, I'll have one light on each main lighting up the band. This app gives me control over each light independently. 

I make up a number of scenes and I can move up or down a scene, strobe and blackout along with RGBAW and dimmer control for each light.

The good thing is you create your own interface.

The bad thing is staring at a blank screen, trying to create your own interface.

I have been using QLC on my macbook. I must admit I really enjoyed setting up my 'virtual board' from scratch allowing me to choose exactly what I want to control and to what extent. It allows for customization. Although I agree there is a certain amount of work necessary to get going.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 05:31:43 PM »

Another thing to keep in mind on some of these apps is that they call back to a server of sort.  This means the wifi has to be running and connecting to the internet.  Using data plans could be heavy expense.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 06:30:52 PM »

Another thing to keep in mind on some of these apps is that they call back to a server of sort.  This means the wifi has to be running and connecting to the internet.  Using data plans could be heavy expense.
Thank you Jerome- something to consider - I did not know that !

Jano Svitok

• SR Forums
  • Bratislava, Slovakia
    • zvukari.sk
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 11:54:39 AM »

I have been using QLC on my macbook.

QLC+ (the successor of the QLC) now supports web access and runs on raspberry pi, if that helps... http://qlcplus.sourceforge.net/raspberry.html

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 07:48:20 PM »

QLC+ (the successor of the QLC) now supports web access and runs on raspberry pi, if that helps... http://qlcplus.sourceforge.net/raspberry.html

Not sure....not that savvy....

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 10:14:14 PM »

So to keep things simple, I could get one of these:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/420401.html?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&gclid=CIP2h7Pl47wCFW3NOgod5SMAUg

.....and connect it to my router. Then connect it out to my lights via DMX cable. Right??

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 10:14:14 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.