ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Induced voltage from high-tension lines  (Read 21209 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: Induced voltage from high-tension lines
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 06:50:38 PM »

And you can do this: http://www.larkinweb.co.uk/miscellany/fluorescent_tubes_under_power_lines.html

I have a friend who wanted to do something similar, except rig up a device that would self-climb a wood power pole by pulling on ropes from the bottom. Said device would transport a decorative array of fluorescent tubes up to near the power lines.

My friend never quite dared to rig this up, because he figured the local public power utility would only need one guess to figure out who did it. The irony is that this friend was a past chairman of the board of that utility.  :o
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

John Sabine

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 09:10:45 AM »

My Ex Father in Law had a pond with High Tension power lines running over part of it. When the water was clear you could see that the area under the lines had no life, not even vegetation.
"I think it needs more barn"

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 10:52:42 AM »

My brother has a friend who replaces high tension power lines.  One day, miles from anywhere civilised, he found someone living in a shack in the middle of a wood with his own transformer connected to the overhead line.  The person he found used to do the same job and knew what he was doing. He had just decided to escape from civilisation and live on his own.
My brother's friend just replaced the lines and re-connected the transformer figuring that no one else will ever stumble upon it so he wasn't doing any harm.

Steve.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 10:57:34 AM »

My brother has a friend who replaces high tension power lines.  One day, miles from anywhere civilised, he found someone living in a shack in the middle of a wood with his own transformer connected to the overhead line.  The person he found used to do the same job and knew what he was doing. He had just decided to escape from civilisation and live on his own.
My brother's friend just replaced the lines and re-connected the transformer figuring that no one else will ever stumble upon it so he wasn't doing any harm.

Steve.

Stealing is stealing...  So he probably stole the transformer too. 

He is in effect stealing from everybody who does pay their electric bills.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Chris Clark

• Jack of many trades, Master of few.
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 07:12:29 PM »

...figuring that no one else will ever stumble upon it...
Except the next person to inspect or perform work on the line.

On another note, the guy just happened to be able to acquire a transformer capable of dropping the voltage to a usable level? Either had a lot of money saved up or used some "inside sources"... Not many companies who would sell something like that to a single consumer, though I suppose anything is possible.

To clarify, I'm guessing these were medium voltage (1kV to 33kV) not the "high tension" pylons we usually think along the lines of hundreds of kV, since I highly doubt there's a single transformer capable of dropping from 100kV all the way to 208 or 240 in one go.
Technical Services Coordinator
Entertainment System Designer
Darien Lake Theme Park, Darien Center NY

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 01:53:20 AM »

Except the next person to inspect or perform work on the line.

Probably won't happen for another ten years

On another note, the guy just happened to be able to acquire a transformer capable of dropping the voltage to a usable level? Either had a lot of money saved up or used some "inside sources"...

Inside sources I think as this used to be his line of work.

To clarify, I'm guessing these were medium voltage (1kV to 33kV) not the "high tension" pylons we usually think along the lines of hundreds of kV, since I highly doubt there's a single transformer capable of dropping from 100kV all the way to 208 or 240 in one go.

Probably from 11,000v to 240v.  Definitely not from 132,000v which is the initial distribution voltage here (UK).

I'm just passing on a third hand rendition of the story but don't know the details.  I just like the fact that they just re-connected him and left him alone.

Steve.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 10:43:43 AM »

I'm just passing on a third hand rendition of the story but don't know the details.  I just like the fact that they just re-connected him and left him alone.

Steve.
Sorry I still can't get enthusiastic about an employee who detects theft from his employer and not only looks the other way but helps the thief continue. Disconnecting the unauthorized drop without reporting him to authorities would be less offensive IMO.

I can understand the argument for re-connecting it to keep amateurs away from the dangerous lines, but imagine the drama if he should get hurt while working on that outlaw drop...  how do you explain that?

Stealing anything is wrong. 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 10:43:43 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.