ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Cat 6 Loom for Road Show tie-in  (Read 16586 times)

Kyle Van Sandt

Cat 6 Loom for Road Show tie-in
« on: February 13, 2014, 10:01:58 PM »

Just got done pulling a dozen cat 6 runs from FOH to stage.  Ideally I would like to use these lines to tie in road desks instead of pulling an FOH snake.  I want to build looms to drop to their stage box on the stage and to their consoles at FOH.  How many pair should these looms be to tie in most desks?  I'm a Midas house so 3 will do.  Is there a format that takes a lot more bandwidth then AES?  Most shows we are looking at are 56 input. We tie in drive lines at FOH.  Am I safe with 6?  5?  4?  Anything I can do to keep from killing 1 guy for an hour to tape a snake is an improvement.  Anyone carry looms for this purpose? 
Kyle Van Sandt
Production Coordinator
The Egg, Albany, NY
vansandtdesigns.com

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Cat 6 Loom for Road Show tie-in
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 10:26:08 PM »

Just got done pulling a dozen cat 6 runs from FOH to stage.  Ideally I would like to use these lines to tie in road desks instead of pulling an FOH snake.  I want to build looms to drop to their stage box on the stage and to their consoles at FOH.  How many pair should these looms be to tie in most desks?  I'm a Midas house so 3 will do.  Is there a format that takes a lot more bandwidth then AES?  Most shows we are looking at are 56 input. We tie in drive lines at FOH.  Am I safe with 6?  5?  4?  Anything I can do to keep from killing 1 guy for an hour to tape a snake is an improvement.  Anyone carry looms for this purpose?

How many coax runs did you put in for all the consoles that don't use CAT5? I would expect most of the consoles you are going to see in a touring venue will use coax. Avid and Digico are probably the most popular consoles out there, and they are both coax, or the Digico can be fiber. What are the consoles you have come into the venue in the past year?

For your Midas, or any other console with 3 AES50 ports, you should have 3 plus a spare. For Yamaha CL series, 2 plus a spare, for A&H iLive 1 plus a spare. Depending on how long the runs on each end are you may want to just keep it to individual cables for ease of coiling.

It will be interesting to see how installed infrastructure goes over with touring crews. Generally in the heat of short load ins it is safer to go with what you know worked last night rather than try to adapt your system to the venue's installed cable.

Let us know how it works out.

Mac

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 10:35:02 PM »

Avid S3L is 2, but I would most likely want to use my own.
The spec. is pretty strict for AVB.

Sorry.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 11:23:35 PM »

I don't know of any touring shows that will want to use installed house tie lines of any kind (ethernet, coax, fiber, copper) for their main system. They will often use dry lines to patch into house program or to get to the spot booth, but using house lines for the main drive is something that pretty much no touring engineer will want to do.

The rig that they carry is a known entity, and if something goes wrong mid week, they have their own spares built in. If something goes wrong mid week with your house tie lines who's going to pay to bring the 6 sound crew guys back to pull their touring snakes back out to FOH.

It's just not something that you can ever count on doing.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 12:37:42 AM »

"Cheap" Digico is on CAT5, also :) BEs have no aversion to your guys running their snake. Unless they're forced, you may find they are often not interested in your house lines. Using CAT6 helps, but still.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 08:05:58 AM »

When I was on tour, we pulled both audio and lighting snakes, every time, no exception.  What justice said.... No need toner type it.   Still - good luck. I would add some fiber and coax to have the most bases covered.

Josh Hana

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 09:25:20 AM »

I would suggest 6 lines between FOH and stage. For Midas, that's 2+1 redundant, 1 for something like aviom (we run these 4 lines for our rig), plus 1 for system controller/networking, and another spare line. That also gives you the ability to run 2 complete systems at once.

Like others have mentioned though, if you are looking for incoming consoles to patch into your snake, you're going to want some coax lines in there, too. And even then, you still want a few analog lines between stage and FOH for things like Comm/Shout

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 09:34:13 AM »

"Cheap" Digico is on CAT5, also :) BEs have no aversion to your guys running their snake. Unless they're forced, you may find they are often not interested in your house lines. Using CAT6 helps, but still.

For the "Cheap" Digico desks, it also specifies that this be ONE piece of CAT5 STP (no interconnect panels, patches, jumps, etc), and they have strict requirements as to the make/model of the cable, as well as the ferrite cores to go on each end.  Digico Tech Note #227, if you're looking for it.  So anyone running with the D-Racks likely wouldn't be able to use installed cable anyway.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 01:33:03 PM by Brian Bolly »

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 10:18:47 AM »

Anything I can do to keep from killing 1 guy for an hour to tape a snake is an improvement.
Put in a cable trough or other easy path to stage.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 11:49:46 AM »

For the "Cheap" Digico desks, it also specifies that this be ONE piece of CAT5 STP (no interconnect panels, patches, jumps, etc), and they have strict requirements as to the make/model of the cable, as well as the ferrite cores to go on each end.  Digico Tech Note #227, if you're looking for it.  So anyone running with the D-Racks likely wouldn't be able to installed cable anyway.

Wow. Amazing. I've broken than before. Will look that up ASAP....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 11:49:46 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.