ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad weather craziness today  (Read 18638 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Bad weather craziness today
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2014, 07:07:36 PM »

My favorite trick back when I worked regular hours (sorta) was to hang out at work for an hour or two after the mob left, then take the back roads. It was usually peaceful at work and I could get some reading done.  Sometimes I would get something to eat close by and then most of the mess on the back roads were cleared up and I could drive home.

I guess I never was one to follow the crowd :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2014, 07:31:43 PM »

I'm getting a little old for cold, but still not a big deal. My newest weapon is the Ariens Pro 28. Bought it 3 years ago after I wore out a tractor. 420cc and throws snow 50' or more all day long.

Oh, and it's got heated handle bars.

My neighbors chipped in and got one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Wolf-SW0310-Wheeled-Shovel/dp/B001I7JWTO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392337548&sr=8-1&keywords=snow+wolf+shovel

It allows you to clear a path as fast as you can walk, and with no motor and almost no moving parts, there is little to go wrong. Doesn't hurt your back, either, although your shoulders and neck muscles get a workout.

Not much maintenance either, although the leading edge of the shovel can wear out if you don't get the sacrificial blade edge protector and replace it when it wears down. It weighs 19#, according to the info, although it feels like less.

I used it over last weekend and cleared about 200' of street and a few pathways and driveways in about 2 hours. Only 3" of snow, though.

Good luck to those getting repeatedly hammered by the weather. I hope you get through it safely and with as little bother as possible.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2014, 08:11:04 PM »

I'm getting a little old for cold, but still not a big deal. My newest weapon is the Ariens Pro 28. Bought it 3 years ago after I wore out a tractor. 420cc and throws snow 50' or more all day long.

Oh, and it's got heated handle bars.

Nice Bob!

My old 1996 Toro Power Shift's trany died a few weeks ago so I picked up a MTD 357 snow blower. 30 inch cut. 13 HP .

http://www.mtdparts.com/equipment/mtdparts/equipment-outlet/mtd-snow-blowers-throwers/yard-machines-30-two-stage-snow-thrower

I wanted a large motor but light enough for the wife to handle as well. ( She does quite well I've found out. Says its fun? ... ) She just couldn't move the toro or gilson I have.  I've found the less powered steering,hand warmers, joy stick chute adjustments a machine has the less chance of it breaking down after a few years. Still Nice machine you have there!  ;)
Mine is rated at a 40 foot throw and the neighbors will attest to that. 
I've still haven't found anything that will touch my 1968 Gilson 8-35. From what I've heard Gilson made this snow blower from a Roto Tiller. I know it will throw just about anything I've ran into through the years. Bricks, lawn gnomes, dog toys and line...... etc....Shear pins are large spikes now.  8) Its an old rust bucket but its my go to blower for those all slush and solid ice type storms. Fun machine even after all these years.

Snow blowers are just a winter location kind of thing!

Douglas R. Allen

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2014, 09:17:22 PM »

Tonight's gig is cancelled and I am a happy camper. I really didn't want to have to drive in the snowy rainy icy mess out there, 14 inches of snow today, pouring rain right now, more snow coming in a few hours. Not to mention I spent over 2 hours moving snow today, my hands froze as the rain soaked through my gloves, and I really don't feel like playing right now. If I could have had some heated handlebars on my snowblower, I might feel differently! Maybe tomorrow if it is warm enough to work on my snowblower I can figure out a way to route the exhaust through the handlebars on its way to the muffler... Digital warmth!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2014, 01:01:08 AM »

George,
My driveway is 3 cars wide, 250' long, up a very steep hill, then winds around the back of the house to the shed and a door. I took out the beast, cleared over a foot of snow off the driveway and cleaned 3 trucks in less than an hour.

Douglas,

Sometimes less is more. The Ariens is a 28" blower, but the 420cc (18hp ??) engine just won't quit. I needed something that would withstand the abuse, but not abuse me. It's a little heavy, but has a limited slip differential which make turns easy. My biggest pain is the 2 decks and steps up to the front of the house. Rob Spence has been over so he knows what I'm talking about there. I bought a little Toro electric shovel for that job and leave it on the porch plugged in all winter long.

No news papers tonight. The delivery idiots threw them onto the driveway and they got covered with snow. I found them with the beast.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2014, 04:24:02 AM »

No news papers tonight. The delivery idiots threw them onto the driveway and they got covered with snow. I found them with the beast.

;D ;D ;D Just can't teach common sense!  A rough conversion of CC's to Hp.

123 cc = 4 hp
179 cc = 5 hp
208 cc = 5.5 to 6 hp
277 cc = 7 to 8 hp
291cc = 9hp
305 cc = 9 to 10 hp
342 cc = 11 to 12 hp
357 cc = 13 hp
420 cc = 13-15 hp

Douglas R. Allen

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2014, 09:10:40 AM »

Douglas, that Gilson reminds me of my grandfathers' Gravely setup.
Back in the 70's, 1 "Powerhead"' with many bolt-on attachements,
He had 100 acres on a mountainside, up in the Laurentians.
With the one power unit, he had a tiller, lawn mower, and 2 snow blowers. The larger one (probably 48" wide, and 36" high) was for regular snow, and the smaller one (maybe 24" wide, and only a foot and a half high) was for icey shit.
They worked.
Really worked.
I think it was a 15hp rig.
As a 12-17 year old, it was always a blast to be at their place when snow hit.
Dad had a 8hp Ariens. Somehow, our 2 car 20 foot driveway just didn't cut it after using Grandpa's "real" snowblower on a 400 foot long driveway.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2014, 03:16:55 PM »

Neighbor has a bobcat with a shovel on the front, He was out the last two nights and cleared the cul-de-sac we live on. 

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2014, 03:31:52 PM »

Meanwhile in Texas it's 70 and the sun is shining. :-)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2014, 05:05:04 PM »

Meanwhile in Texas it's 70 and the sun is shining. :-)

Ironically the forecast here in Raleigh, NC for wednesday is 70 - go figure?????????
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2014, 05:05:04 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.