ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad weather craziness today  (Read 18644 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Bad weather craziness today
« on: February 12, 2014, 08:15:00 PM »

So we are not that used to a lot of snow in these here parts Raleigh area- NC), but this afternoon has been rather a worry for me. Hubby was working at Duke university demonstrating equipment this morning and after numerous warnings on local radio and TV realized he needed to get out of there by noon. Didn't make it in time and the snow arrived in a big way.
The good news is he just called and is 2 miles from home - which might take another 30 -45 minutes....we live in a rural area.
Here in lies the problem. He finally got loaded up at 1.00pm because there was an announcement made  to evacuate the school so everyone panicked and rushed to leave at the same time. He then couldn't bring his van to where he needed to from where it was parked to load his equipment due to all the vehicles leaving the parking lot and didn't actually leave till 1.00pm.
Apparently by the time he got out of the parking lot to the major highway, the police had closed every exit to allow emergency vehicles through. So although I get that access has to be kept clear for emergency vehicles, if all exits and major roads are closed, how does anyone get anywhere?
Add to that no-one knows how to drive in the snow here.
He then drove at 2-5 miles per hour to RDU airport to drop off his colleague and a journey of 36 miles in total has taken him over 7 hours - He saw upwards of 60 accidents on his way home !!- I hope no-one has been seriously hurt today........What a day.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Bob Kidd

Re: Bad weather craziness today
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 08:19:43 PM »

So we are not that used to a lot of snow in these here parts Raleigh area- NC), but this afternoon has been rather a worry for me. Hubby was working at Duke university demonstrating equipment this morning and after numerous warnings on local radio and TV realized he needed to get out of there by noon. Didn't make it in time and the snow arrived in a big way.
The good news is he just called and is 2 miles from home - which might take another 30 -45 minutes....we live in a rural area.
Here in lies the problem. He finally got loaded up at 1.00pm because there was an announcement made  to evacuate the school so everyone panicked and rushed to leave at the same time. He then couldn't bring his van to where he needed to from where it was parked to load his equipment due to all the vehicles leaving the parking lot and didn't actually leave till 1.00pm.
Apparently by the time he got out of the parking lot to the major highway, the police had closed every exit to allow emergency vehicles through. So although I get that access has to be kept clear for emergency vehicles, if all exits and major roads are closed, how does anyone get anywhere?
Add to that no-one knows how to drive in the snow here.
He then drove at 2-5 miles per hour to RDU airport to drop off his colleague and a journey of 36 miles in total has taken him over 7 hours - He saw upwards of 60 accidents on his way home !!- I hope no-one has been seriously hurt today........What a day.....

Yeah, just hitting us now. Expecting up to 15 inches!

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 08:30:16 PM »

Safe travels from tropical Montana @ 50 degrees fahrenheit.
Folks talk big up here but they really don't drive much better when we get the first few snow falls...

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 08:37:50 PM »

My brother called from Wausau Wisconsin area and they are at -25 still.  DC has just started getting it.
Hope all are well.  I will be going to hospital in AM to pick up wife from work.  Again another bad drive. 

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 08:43:59 PM »

Had cnf call 10AM with Atlanta - already people working from home, power and cell outages widespread.

Drove back from gig on Sunday AM through Franconia Notch NH, White Mt National Forest - god's country, god mountains, and god's weather. Ice, greasy, snow, wind, 15 degrees.

Fishtailed trailer only once then slowed to 45 and engaged 4WD. Only saw one mass-hole off the road being hauled out. Took this flatlander 3hrs to get home, dark green GMC is white covered with road salt.

The first dusting in December brings back all those winter driving skills, then we are set for the season.

Hope everyone is safe!

Mike

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 08:47:32 PM »

Yeah, just hitting us now. Expecting up to 15 inches!

Where are you Bob ?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 08:56:20 PM »

Around here we had roads before there were interstates :-)
When it snows I avoid highways at all costs. Even if it is twice as far by back road I don't get stranded between exits.

I hope he gets home safely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 09:07:49 PM »

So, what you are really saying, is that the next time your husband says he wants to buy a 4WD Tacoma and put some big ass tires on it, you will say yes?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 09:21:18 PM »

Around here we had roads before there were interstates :-)
When it snows I avoid highways at all costs. Even if it is twice as far by back road I don't get stranded between exits.

I hope he gets home safely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

He normally does just that but that was a problem too. Everyone else did the same thing and all the surface streets were blocked and worse than the highways. In the end ihe finally found  the one highway he could  that wasn't technically blocked because at least traffic was moving at 2 miles an hour.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 09:24:21 PM »

So, what you are really saying, is that the next time your husband says he wants to buy a 4WD Tacoma and put some big ass tires on it, you will say yes?

Ha ha... I wish ! Problem is he has to use a van for work and it has to be one approved by the company. Yes...he drives a mini van - don't judge too harshly. He loves that thing - 230k and still going strong. Toyota Sienna. Fortunately it was so loaded down with gear, it stayed on the road - empty it wouldn't have stood a chance.

Now...back to that Tacoma....mmmmmmm

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 09:24:21 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.