ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless mic upgrade  (Read 6991 times)

Jamie Chappa

• Arsenic Promotion and Production
Wireless mic upgrade
« on: February 12, 2014, 04:23:18 PM »

I am looking to upgrade my wireless mic. If given the choice between a shure ulxs24 with a 58 capsule or the line 6 xd-v75 which would you choose. This will be used in a live setting with a female country singer and female rock singer usually on small stages. Neither singer has great mic technique. Neither singer has a strong loud voice. Other recommendation are welcome budget is 700 looking to purchase and use this weekend. Kind a rush I know but got to make people happy. Thanks in advance for the help.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Wireless mic upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 05:14:45 PM »

The ULX line is the bottom level of Shure wireless systems that I would like to use based on sound quality of the system. With a female voice, I've had better luck with the Beta87A head, but that comes down to personal preference. The little antennas that come with them restrict the range, but using a set of paddle antennas, they work wonderfully everywhere I've used them.  You do need to pay attention to the frequency that you select, as you can't overlap any TV broadcast channels in the area, but once you find a clean set of frequencies, you're usually set to go. (unless someone decides to put up a new TV station without warning on you...)

The Line6 stuff has gotten great reviews.  However, something that scares me about it is that it runs at 2.4ghz.  They claim that they can run interference free, even alongside things like WIFI.  However, there is SO much stuff that operates at that range that it's cause for concern.  The RF noise floor at 2.4 GHZ is going to look very different in an empty room than when 1000 people with phones in their pocket with WIFI enabled come to the party.  On the flip side, I've also read reports that the line6 wireless systems can cause trouble with WIFI devices, resulting in poor bandwidth for your WIFI devices operating in the same range.  I haven't personally experienced this with a line6 mic, but with other wireless devices, such as a set of wireless headphones, a 2.4ghz WIFI network was rendered almost completely unusable as soon as it was turned on in the room.

The point there is that there are a lot more devices that could be brought into your 2.4 GHz RF environment that you didn't account for, increasing the risk for problems.  While the same could happen with other frequencies, the chances of people bringing in devices at random in their pocket is far less.

Brian Jojade

Jamie Chappa

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 05:23:07 PM »

So because I'm using a wifi network with my mixer it 2.4/5 ghz the safe bet is the shure. Is there a noticeable difference between the ulxs and ulxp.  I am upgrading from the pgx so this will be a jump up I know. Normal wired I use heilpr35. I stopped using the pgx when I got the pr35.  Now the singers are begging for wireless and I have a show on Friday.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 05:26:29 PM »

So because I'm using a wifi network with my mixer it 2.4/5 ghz the safe bet is the shure. Is there a noticeable difference between the ulxs and ulxp.  I am upgrading from the pgx so this will be a jump up I know. Normal wired I use heilpr35. I stopped using the pgx when I got the pr35.  Now the singers are begging for wireless and I have a show on Friday.

There's no sonic difference between ULXP and ULXS, the only difference is in the physical design of the receivers. I have 7 channels of ULX, 4 P and 3 S, and they all sound the same.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Jamie Chappa

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 05:29:01 PM »

There's no sonic difference between ULXP and ULXS, the only difference is in the physical design of the receivers. I have 7 channels of ULX, 4 P and 3 S, and they all sound the same.
.   Thanks for the help.  I'll order the ulx

Thomas Le

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 06:23:35 PM »

$700 budget? Consider Sennheiser ew100 g3 series. Blows all Shure wireless out (except UHF-R, ULX-D & AXIENT).

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 06:26:19 PM »

I have 5 channels of ULX-s and never have a problem.

About 2.4gHz, it isn't that YOU are using it, it is that every smartphone that walks in the door is also trying to use it.

If you can, restrict your usage to 5gHz. That band us getting more use these days but no where near what the 2.4gHz is. I can and do turn off the 2.4gHz radio in my routers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 08:43:57 PM »

Having used both the ULX and Line 6 systems, I would put my money down for the Line 6. The ULX has shown to be finicky in certain situations for me. It seems that every show I get that is near an airport or not in my town, has some sort of bandwidth issue.......... Basically there is none of it for me to use! One time I had 5-6 ULX mic's all with antenna distribution and still couldn't get clean channels. It corresponded exactly as my Whitespace app had shown. Basically I had wireless that was not going to work for me 100% in the area I was at. The big issue is that I was simply hired to set up and do monitors, as well as run wireless ( we had a total of 16 ). I was the one getting yelled at because I couldn't find clean air on the only darn wireless that was left for the bands vocals. Not a fun situation to be in when I wasn't the provider, or system designer! Now I check the area ahead of time and tell the provider that I must have wireless in X range, or issues will arise. If the provider doesn't own in that range I tell them to rent, or acquire something that is, or it won't be a fun gig for anyone.

In contrast to that, the Line 6 units I have, never seem to have an issue. I use the channel scan feature and choose the one with little or no noise and have never had a dropout, or reduced performance. I own both a XD-V70 and an XD-V75. The earlier and oldest unit I have ( the V70 ) shows less noise on the channel scanner, but is also still using the old firmware. I run the V-75 using RF-1 encoding so I can use both mic's on each unit and not worry about which mic belongs to which unit when I head out the door. I will have to test RF-2 encoding and see if it changes performance. I have been in a rooms with 400 people all with cell phones and no direct L.O.S to the mic with no problems. I haven't ever had a problem with them no matter where I go. The mic is ok quality and sounds really good actually. To me it sounds much clearer than the SM-58 and holds it's own well against other brands. It has mic modeling which is cheesy, but does change the sound ( although it doesn't sound like the protested mic ) but I find the Line 6 custom model to be the best sounding choice. The handling noise of the mic is about the same as most mid range wireless mics ( could be much better ) , but where it really takes the cake is dynamic range! They are not kidding when they say it's just like a wired mic! It has no compression/companding and you can tell. They claim it has 120db dynamic range, which to me is enough to make the mic sound as if it is truly wired right to the board.

The only Shure wireless product I would ever buy would be the UHF-R, or the new digital line. But if I had UHF-R money I would rather spend it on Sennheiser. Sennheiser really has the wireless thing nailed. Even the low end G3 stuff is BOSS compared to the Shure mid range stuff.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 09:00:58 PM »

Having used both the ULX and Line 6 systems, I would put my money down for the Line 6. The ULX has shown to be finicky in certain situations for me. It seems that every show I get that is near an airport or not in my town, has some sort of bandwidth issue.......... Basically there is none of it for me to use! One time I had 5-6 ULX mic's all with antenna distribution and still couldn't get clean channels. It corresponded exactly as my Whitespace app had shown. Basically I had wireless that was not going to work for me 100% in the area I was at. The big issue is that I was simply hired to set up and do monitors, as well as run wireless ( we had a total of 16 ). I was the one getting yelled at because I couldn't find clean air on the only darn wireless that was left for the bands vocals. Not a fun situation to be in when I wasn't the provider, or system designer! Now I check the area ahead of time and tell the provider that I must have wireless in X range, or issues will arise. If the provider doesn't own in that range I tell them to rent, or acquire something that is, or it won't be a fun gig for anyone.

The only Shure wireless product I would ever buy would be the UHF-R, or the new digital line. But if I had UHF-R money I would rather spend it on Sennheiser. Sennheiser really has the wireless thing nailed. Even the low end G3 stuff is BOSS compared to the Shure mid range stuff.

It isn't the ULX, I suspect it is the band you chose. They come in several models (J,M,G?). Any wireless will have problems if the chosen units are in a crowded band.

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

jim whitmer

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 01:37:58 PM »

I went from the cheap Shure's, to the Sennheiser G3. Tried Line 6 on a fluke. Wound up selling the Senny's and now have 6 of the Line 6 V70 and V75 mics.

You will not get interference to make the Line 6 drop out, but the Line 6 will slow or kill any 2.4 around it. Definitely use 5ghz for your wifi mixing.

Tomm Williams

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 02:38:10 PM »

A few days ago I spotted two V75 units (used) on GC's website for $299 each. Receiver and HH mic.

Jamie Chappa

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 11:38:42 PM »

Well I did purchase the shure, what a pleasant surprise this weekend was. The male lead purchased a head worn sennhieser g3 moving up from a pg head worn. Female lead was on the ulx. Drummer was on heil pr 35. Every member of the band came up and commented on how wonderful the ears sounded. FOH sounded great, with almost no work. Thanks for the responses. I think next time I'll watch for a sale on the line 6 and pick up one of those. This purchase was made hastily.

Luke Geis

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 10:21:41 PM »

It isn't the ULX, I suspect it is the band you chose. They come in several models (J,M,G?). Any wireless will have problems if the chosen units are in a crowded band.

That was my point. I am likely to never use UHF band gear again. I run a lot of other people stuff and I don't often get a choice on the bands ( J,G,M etc. ) and am stuck with what they give me. It seems that the companies ( that I have worked for ) don't look ahead and rent gear from other vendors to alleviate potential RF band issues. They book the gig and use what they have simply cause they assume not rent from another vendor. It seems that the space is getting smaller and smaller. But the ULX for me has shown to be more susceptible to the lack of it than other brands. My experience with the new digital stuff has been that it is plug and play. I would take a ULXD no problem.

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 06:06:12 PM »

That was my point. I am likely to never use UHF band gear again. I run a lot of other people stuff and I don't often get a choice on the bands ( J,G,M etc. ) and am stuck with what they give me. It seems that the companies ( that I have worked for ) don't look ahead and rent gear from other vendors to alleviate potential RF band issues. They book the gig and use what they have simply cause they assume not rent from another vendor. It seems that the space is getting smaller and smaller. But the ULX for me has shown to be more susceptible to the lack of it than other brands. My experience with the new digital stuff has been that it is plug and play. I would take a ULXD no problem.

Where else but UHF are you going?
I have some VHF gear that never has a problem.
2.4gHz is already over run by unregulated use. I won't use it for anything if I can.

There is another thread here about wifi issues.

Luke Geis

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 09:17:34 PM »

I'm sure that soon enough the 2.4ghz issues will non existent? I have had no such issues with it myself. Shure' higher end UHF-R model stuff is rock solid as well as anything Sennheiser. But I don't own any and I don't desire to either. I can say that there is a distinct and noticeable difference between the new " digital " stuff vs. the standard UHF ( ULX/G3 and the like ) stuff available. Keep in mind I'm comparing the middle of the road contenders here, not the top of the line models. The higher end stuff has less noticeable compression and companding and are of course very stable. The middle of the road " digital " ( 2.4ghz ) stuff is basically has full dynamics to the degree where you would be hard pressed to tell it from a wired mic and although it works in the 2.4ghz arena, seems to very stable and problem free.

In short to your question, I will probably only be purchasing the newer "digital " offerings of the different brands. The Line 6 units work very well and I have heard good things as well about the new ULX-D series from Shure. I believe Sennheiser also has a " digital " model out, but I have not looked it up?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 09:17:34 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.