ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How would you handle services with Photosentitive Epileptic in Audience  (Read 14554 times)

Peter Kolbe

Hi

I would just like some ideas on what your take on this is.

I have programmed a light sequence for praise where :

LED Parcans Fade between Colors about once a second.
LED Strip at foot of stage does likewise.
Parcans facing the stage are on Medium brightness (constant).
Chandeliers hanging on stage are on Dim (constant).
2 Florescent fittings in the seating area on (to allow people to find seats if they arrive late).
The OBY600U Stage Wash fitting (hanging from the center beam above the congregation) scans around the congregation itself (A nice fast pattern, changing color by rotating its color wheel - But not strobing or shuttering).

On 2 occasions During the Praise, i was informed by a steward that the Oby (Which they all seem to call the 'Strobe Light' - Don't ask me why), but he said that it was affecting this specific member that has photosensitive epilepsy.
I did not have any other sequence set, except for one that has all the lighting the same as above, but holds the OBY600 shuttered. So i had to change over to that sequence (to me it is very boring without the movement of the OBY).

Anybody else have issues with Photosensitive Epileptic members / visitors, and how did/would you handle the situation.

Thanks
P

Cailen Waddell

Re: How would you handle services with Photosentitive Epileptic in Audience
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 07:13:20 AM »

Everyone with photosensitive epilepsy has different triggers.  While there are some generally accepted ranges of sensitivity, there is no guarantee that this member falls in this range.  You could try slowing down or speeding up the color roll, but really, if you make a change it may bother someone else.  So, not to be insensitive,  but tell them if they can't handle a rock n roll style service, perhaps they should look into a traditional service.

~flame suit on~

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 10:45:16 AM »

Everyone with photosensitive epilepsy has different triggers.  While there are some generally accepted ranges of sensitivity, there is no guarantee that this member falls in this range.  You could try slowing down or speeding up the color roll, but really, if you make a change it may bother someone else.  So, not to be insensitive,  but tell them if they can't handle a rock n roll style service, perhaps they should look into a traditional service.

~flame suit on~
Cailen - I smell an ADA lawsuit.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 10:59:08 AM »

I don't. Respectfully. The ADA requires a reasonable accommodation. If the lighting is part of the service it would not be considered reasonable to not have lights move or change colors. For example, if I use fog or strobe lights, I post that we do so, the patron may then make a decision as to if they want to attend or not. This is different than wheelchair access for example.  It is reasonable to assume that providing wheel chair access would not materially change your artistic content.   What if an artist wanted to do a performance with an artist in a pool?  Would it be reasonable to require them to do it on dry land because someone who can't swim wanted to attend?

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 01:31:05 PM »

Any show I do that has strobes or fast moving lights gets a warning sign at the entrance.  Any visitor has been warned it is going to happen.

In the case of a member with a specific sensitivity I would request to talk to the person.  Find out the specific trigger and compromise if possible.  One such compromise may be an alternative service with little or no flash and glitz.  Working with the individual shows acceptance and is the right thing to do.

Having said that, some people are just complainers and should be asked to leave or ignored if they refuse to compromise.  Does the light really trigger a seizure or do they just not like blinky blinky?
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 01:36:24 PM »

I don't. Respectfully. The ADA requires a reasonable accommodation. If the lighting is part of the service it would not be considered reasonable to not have lights move or change colors. For example, if I use fog or strobe lights, I post that we do so, the patron may then make a decision as to if they want to attend or not. This is different than wheelchair access for example.  It is reasonable to assume that providing wheel chair access would not materially change your artistic content.   What if an artist wanted to do a performance with an artist in a pool?  Would it be reasonable to require them to do it on dry land because someone who can't swim wanted to attend?

Cailen, wherein you are absolutely correct (in my opinion, I am not a lawyer!) in regards to a reasonable accommodation, Frank is also right in that some lawyer somewhere will convince someone that they should pursue legal action. It's a sad world we live in sometimes. :(

For example... http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/02/palisades_park_family_sues_bronx_zoo_after_child_swallows_souvenir_penny.html

Specifically
Quote from: nj.com
Ethan's mother, Kelly Yi, said there was no warning about the dangers of swallowing the coins.

Seems everywhere you turn, people sue for whatever reason.

*clip*
One such compromise may be an alternative service with little or no flash and glitz.  Working with the individual shows acceptance and is the right thing to do.

I think that was what Cailen was thinking-- here's the traditional service, that gets the same message across, without the flash and glitz. Frank commented, though, that to deny access to the flashy service is what might trigger an ADA lawsuit.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 01:59:39 PM »

Ray - you are correct, someone will always sue.  The guideline that we use in our municipally operated venues is to make every effort to make an accommodation, and document your attempts, up to, but not including altering your program and or content.  For example, if someone requests a sign language interpreter 2 hours before an event, we have to attempt to find one. If we do not that is ok, but we must document the actions taken.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 02:00:38 PM »

And yes - denying entry is certainly wrong, suggesting you attend another service or 'offering an alternative' is not wrong.

Benjamin Gingerich

• LifeSound AV
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 02:54:44 PM »

Hi

2 Florescent fittings in the seating area on (to allow people to find seats if they arrive late).
The OBY600U Stage Wash fitting (hanging from the center beam above the congregation) scans around the congregation itself (A nice fast pattern, changing color by rotating its color wheel - But not strobing or shuttering).

On 2 occasions During the Praise, i was informed by a steward that the Oby (Which they all seem to call the 'Strobe Light' - Don't ask me why), but he said that it was affecting this specific member that has photosensitive epilepsy.
I did not have any other sequence set, except for one that has all the lighting the same as above, but holds the OBY600 shuttered. So i had to change over to that sequence (to me it is very boring without the movement of the OBY).

Anybody else have issues with Photosensitive Epileptic members / visitors, and how did/would you handle the situation.

Thanks
P

My wife has epilepsy thats triggered by lighting sometimes, and being that she is a vocalist on stages for conferences and services of all kinds I took it upon myself to figure out what would work for her but still look how I would want it too.

I have found that color changes over a longer duration (1sec+), I use more rotating lights and less flashes, and bringing the house lights up just a little bit really makes a difference. However over the last 6 years I have found this helps most people with similar conditions; it does not work for everyone. In those special cases I do what i can to accommodate them and if it doesn't help, point them to a more traditional service or to somewhere we broadcast the whole service/conference too.
Benjamin Gingerich
Project Manager - LifeSound Av - Macon, Georgia
Air Force Reserves- Electrical Power Production
AA Electrical & Mechanical Engineering

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 06:09:49 PM »

Hi

Thanks
P

Perhaps your church could supply this person with a free pair of dark sunglasses to wear during the service.  It's all supposed to be about receiving the word, anyway, right?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 06:12:04 PM by Jason Glass »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 06:09:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.