ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Flown subs, ground stacked, or both? Pros/cons?  (Read 11880 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Flown subs, ground stacked, or both? Pros/cons?
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 09:05:52 PM »

You probably don't know how much I've learned from you in the past two years.

I once almost said "Because Ivan said so" once. lol

But as for the "theory" vs application thing -- I think back to when learned how to use a compressor. I'd twist knobs around and not notice much of a difference. Compression only made sense after I had been shown what each knob does. Of course the value of the person showing me how to use a compressor wasn't that I suddenly understood compression, rather that I learned how to learn compression.

Does that make sense?

Either way I'll go download a modeling program.
I remember when I TRULY learned  how to use a digital reverb.

And it was NOT in a class about digital reverbs.

It was in a TEF measurement class and the discussion was about where to put the cursers to get a valid RT60 measurement.

It was during the discussion that "all of a sudden" it came to me.  Things like a large room sound the way it does-what the initial time gap really tells you and so forth.

After that "all the light bulbs" went off and it became much easier to "twist the knobs" to get the particular sound I want. 

IT is not just the reverb time that says it is a large room.  Heck you can get long reverb times (like 10 seconds) in small rooms.

But when you have a long ITG (Initial Time Gap) and the reverb sound has a lot of HF rolloff-those are dead giveaways.  A small room of equal RT60 will have a very small ITG and lots of HF in the "tail".

All this "audio stuff" is related, so  learning about how something behaves can give insight into something else.

BTW I got a lot of my "learning" by simple "knob twisting" and "seeing what happens when we do this" and "OOPS I don't need to do THAT again"  Now for the repair bill------.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 12:24:48 PM »

I had a similar revelation when I was shown how to 'ring out' a system with a graphic equaliser by an engineer/salesman from Peavey.

It suddenly made perfect sense and made all previous efforts of pushing frequencies up and down appear ridiculous.

Steve.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 01:20:53 PM »

I had a similar revelation when I was shown how to 'ring out' a system with a graphic equaliser by an engineer/salesman from Peavey.

It suddenly made perfect sense and made all previous efforts of pushing frequencies up and down appear ridiculous.

Steve.
And the way we "raise the bar" is to share experiences and knowledge with others.

If we don't then the next generation is doomed to have to start all over.

But it is truly sad that there is so much bad and misinformation out there-often from sources that people look up to-that they simply "pass it on" without either trying it or questioning it.

Whenever I hear something that does not seem right-the first thing I do is question it.

They may be right or wrong-but it deserves a deeper look into what is right and what is REALLY going on.

I question myself and what I am measuring and doing all the time.  Does it make sense?  Is what I am measuring correct? and so forth.

Sometimes (even this last week) I ran into a situation that just did not make sense-until I looked a bit deeper and then it did make sense.

It is REAL easy to go out on a tangent in this business.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

duane massey

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 08:32:38 PM »

Well said, Ivan, but I would add:

If it seems right, question it as well, as it's easy to make something false seem true if you word it carefully.

It is in true in this industry as well in other aspects of life. Blind or lazy acceptance can be habit-forming.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 09:00:54 PM »

Well said, Ivan, but I would add:

If it seems right, question it as well, as it's easy to make something false seem true if you word it carefully.

It is in true in this industry as well in other aspects of life. Blind or lazy acceptance can be habit-forming.

YES.  as as evidence-just look at all the bad audio out there-and the people that think "Well that's the way IT'S SUPPOSED to be!"

NO IT ISN'T.  It is just that you are so used to BAD sound-it now appears "normal".

A sound system is NOT supposed to sound THAT way----------

But when your reference is so low-------  Well that explains a lot.

There is so much cheap gear that makes a lot of noise available these days.  I did not say a GOOD noise-just lots of BAD noise.  And so many people are using it-it is hard to get away from it.

At one trade show a guy cam running into our demo room saying PLEASE PLEASE play SOMETHING-ANYTHING-QUICKLY!!!!!!!!!!!

We asked why and what did he want to hear.  He said he didn't care but we needed to do it QUICK!!!!!!!!!

He said "I was just at the XYZ demo and I think it has ruined my tastes-so I need something good to wash it away"

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 09:00:54 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.