ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie question about Sennheiser Antenna combiner  (Read 4954 times)

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
Newbie question about Sennheiser Antenna combiner
« on: February 03, 2014, 07:28:05 PM »

I'm just getting started on this wireless world and I use 5 Sennheiser wireless in ear systems and 2 wireless mic systems. I saw the Sennheiser Antenna Combiner and I really liked it cause it can transmit power up to 4 systems through the BNC cables, saving a lot of outlets. But what else a Combiner does? Lets say I run monitors from stage left and want to increase in ear levels in stage right. Could I get this combiner connected to one of those UHF giant antennas to this job? I mean, it combines 4 signals into one antenna, but are the signals kept individual or are they really mixed into one signal?
What about the antenna splitter? Could the FOH enginner get these signals from the stage and split them into the mic receivers?
Sorry if it's a dumb question
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
Re: Newbie question about Sennheiser Antenna combiner
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 07:41:08 PM »

I'm just getting started on this wireless world and I use 5 Sennheiser wireless in ear systems and 2 wireless mic systems. I saw the Sennheiser Antenna Combiner and I really liked it cause it can transmit power up to 4 systems through the BNC cables, saving a lot of outlets. But what else a Combiner does? Lets say I run monitors from stage left and want to increase in ear levels in stage right. Could I get this combiner connected to one of those UHF giant antennas to this job? I mean, it combines 4 signals into one antenna, but are the signals kept individual or are they really mixed into one signal?
What about the antenna splitter? Could the FOH enginner get these signals from the stage and split them into the mic receivers?
Sorry if it's a dumb question

Ears are transmitters. Mics are receivers. Two different rf directions. Combiners just allow less antennas. The frequencies are separate. The rf combiners have nothing to do with splitting mic signals between FOH and monitors. That is done in the audio side.

Read the articles on this page:

http://bestaudio.com/Freq_coord.htm

There are no dumb questions. After you digest the above info, please ask more.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 07:54:25 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 10:32:22 AM »

Nice articles. You answered my question about the Combiner. Signals are transmitted separated. But then what the use for a splitter?
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 11:05:48 AM »

Nice articles. You answered my question about the Combiner. Signals are transmitted separated. But then what the use for a splitter?

Combiners are used to put multiple transmitter signals to 1 antenna.

Splitters are use to distribute *received* RF to multiple receivers.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 12:03:07 PM »

Tim nails it right on the head (as always!).

Combiners are used to put multiple transmitter signals to 1 antenna.

Splitters are use to distribute *received* RF to multiple receivers.

So, in your case, you will need one combiner (well, actually two, if the combiner has the same 4 unit capacity that my splitter has) for the IEM transmitter system, and one splitter (ASP) for the handheld wireless microphones. With my 4-unit rack, I have four units mounted two-side by side, and the third 1U space I have the ASP and the front-panel antenna mounting kit, so the two main antennae are conveniently located on the front of the rack.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 12:03:07 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.