ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you call three hot legs?  (Read 22530 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: What do you call three hot legs?
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2014, 08:49:23 AM »

It sounds like the whole of the power distribution system in the US needs to be scrapped and you should use a simple system like ours!

Steve.

I am not sure that would help-the system works fine as long as you make an effort to learn it and do things properly.  The problem is people that think "anybody can hook up wires, its simple".  It is easy and anybody can-if they take a few minutes to learn.

A customer had an employee (presumably one who "knew" wiring) wire up a simple add-on j-box on an industrial material handler earlier this week.  Ten wires, 4 white with a number 2 on them, 2 red with a number 3 on them, a couple red and a black with a 29, and an oddball black with another number.  Anyone who has been around industrial controls knows all you had to do was match the numbers-and for sure all the whites would go together.  They had me check it before they tried it.  Not to be mean, but I could have come as close to right as he did with my eyes closed.

How would remaking the system fix that kind of stuff? I have a great deal of respect for someone who says, "I don't know" and asks someone who knows.  I used to try to do everything myself.  The older I get, the more inclined I am to defer to someone else in various areas.  Laziness-or wisdom?
Steve Swaffer

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2014, 09:16:02 AM »

I am not sure that would help-the system works fine as long as you make an effort to learn it and do things properly.  The problem is people that think "anybody can hook up wires, its simple".  It is easy and anybody can-if they take a few minutes to learn.

Quite true - but the beauty of our system is its simplicity.  You can either have one phase and neutral at 230 volts or all three phases at 415 volts... that's it... no other options.

Steve.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2014, 01:07:09 PM »

It sounds like the whole of the power distribution system in the US needs to be scrapped and you should use a simple system like ours!

Steve.

Two words: installed base.

The expense of scrapping an entire system to make everything match the Euro standard would be immense, and few people would be willing to accept the cost. Just look at the conversion to metric in the US.

The truth is, we ARE standardizing. It just takes a long time, and rather than obsoleting perfectly good stuff, we just phase it out as it dies. Over a hundred years into the project so far, another hundred or few to go.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2014, 05:08:12 PM »

Steve.
the cost would exceed the 17+ trillion national debt. i am a commercial electrician. its not an issue.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2014, 05:08:12 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.