ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you call three hot legs?  (Read 22530 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: What do you call three hot legs?
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 04:12:12 PM »

Prince's hot chicken is the famous one. There's about 10 other restaurants that basically copy them.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_chicken

- Tony Williams

Tony, that looks disgustingly delicious  ;D

Seriously, I'm going to try out Prince's Hot Chicken on my next drive through Nashville. I'll give you shout when I'm going to be in the area, and if you're available I'll even buy us both dinner. 

Now, back on topic...  :o

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 10:21:26 PM »

Tony, I may be driving thru Nashville early June. Let me know where to try one of those hot 3-legged chicken meals. Yum  8)

They haven't been able to catch one yet.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 10:55:14 PM »

They haven't been able to catch one yet.

It's crossing the road... ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Sokol

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 07:17:50 PM »

I just did a tech gig near Washington DC today, and one of the sound guys said he was raised in Nashville. So I told him that I was going to try Prince's Hot Chicken the next time I was in town. He got a little uppity with me and demanded to know how a Yankee knew about Prince's Hot Chicken.  >:(

So is Nashville Hot Chicken a big secret from northerners, or what? Yes, I'm from Maryland and south of the Mason-Dixon line, but I thought that border states were exempt.  :o

Who knew that a topic named "Three Hot Legs" could produce such a response...

TonyWilliams

• Nashville, TN
    • Blog
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 09:08:26 AM »

I just did a tech gig near Washington DC today, and one of the sound guys said he was raised in Nashville. So I told him that I was going to try Prince's Hot Chicken the next time I was in town. He got a little uppity with me and demanded to know how a Yankee knew about Prince's Hot Chicken.  >:(

So is Nashville Hot Chicken a big secret from northerners, or what? Yes, I'm from Maryland and south of the Mason-Dixon line, but I thought that border states were exempt.  :o

Who knew that a topic named "Three Hot Legs" could produce such a response...
Haha, we Nashvillians are a strange bunch.

- Tony Williams

Mike Sokol

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 05:29:11 PM »

So if you turn bad, do they call you Nash-villains?  :o

Mike Sokol

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 02:20:05 PM »

- Tony Williams

Hey Tony (and any other Nashvillians),

Looks like I'll be driving through Nashville on my way to San Diego on May 14th or 15th, and could meet you for some Prince's Hot Chicken. I'm buying, so let me know if you're available for lunch or diner and we'll see what all the brew-ha-ha is all about.  8)

Mike Sokol

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 01:18:36 AM »

Hey Tony (and any other Nashvillians),

Looks like I'll be driving through Nashville on my way to San Diego on May 14th or 15th, and could meet you for some Prince's Hot Chicken. I'm buying, so let me know if you're available for lunch or diner and we'll see what all the brew-ha-ha is all about.  8)

Update: I'll be in Nashville Wednesday evening, April 9th. Anybody want to meet me at Prince's for Hot Chicken?

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 06:25:21 AM »

in a transformer on the lug bus its labeled > L for the 120 side and H for the 480 side. XO is for the neutral. A=Black for 120 - Brown for 277 , B=Red for 120 - Orange for 277 , C=Blue - Yellow for 277. White is ALWAYS Neutral , Green is ALWAYS Ground. NEVER NEVER NEVER assume that GRAY is a Neutral. some idiots started using Gray for the Neutral on 277V lighting circuts. I have seen Gray used MANY times as a hot leg with a White Neutral. NATURAL GRAY in the code book refers to an old "Off White" color and Not the color Gray. an inspector made a crew pull All the Gray wire out of a 277 lighting circut and pull white back in for the Neutral. I never pulled Gray for Neutral , I always use White. My inspectors were Always happy with me for that. L also stands for Low gear in my F350 with a stick shift. I'm feeling might L right now !

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 09:01:53 AM »

The problem with using white for all neutrals is that the neutral for a 277 system is not he same as a neutral for a separately derived (transformer) 208 system.  I am dealing with a building now where a previous contractor ran both 277 V and 120 V lighting circuits in the same conduit.   If I cross a neutral in a box, I wind up with the current from the 120 V system getting back to the 277 V neutral via the associated bonding-not a good situation.  Code does require identifying  neutrals from different systems by using a white wire with a stripe-they can be pretty hard to find.

It seems like using gray has been a common industry practice, even though Jeff is right.  Interestingly, a code panel rejected allowing gray to be used because it felt that white and gray would not always be distinguishable in the same box.  That reasoning would seem to preclude using gray as a hot conductor as well, but what do I know?

Update:

Actually just looked at the 2011 NEC. The term "natural gray" is no longer used.  The 2011 NEC specifically allows Conductors with    200.6 (A) (1)"A continuous white outer finish"  and 200.6 (A)(1) "A continuous gray outer finish" to identify a neutral.

NEC 200.7 specifically prohibits using a conductor with a "gray covering" from being used as a hot.

The other discussions regarding a read about took place at least 4 code cycles ago.  I am still using the 2011.  2014 is "out" but not being used yet where I am. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:53:22 AM by Stephen Swaffer »
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 09:01:53 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.