ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixer Rack Case Power Distribution  (Read 17242 times)

Taylor Hall

Re: Mixer Rack Case Power Distribution
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 12:15:51 PM »

Yeah I may have to pick some of those up. Monoprice is pretty cheap.  More of a problem than the power cords though are the 10ft 4ch insert snake, 2-10ft insert cables and 4-10ft trs cables... I bought all of those when the outboard was in a separate rack and haven't replaced them with short ones yet. Does anybody know a source of cheap, short(~18in) 1/4in insert cables? Monoprice doesn't carry them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running OmniROM 4.4 KitKat using Tapatalk Pro

We've had good luck with their small patch cables (both XLR and TRS) and they've served us well. We have a bunch of their 3ft XLRs that we use for our DSP patching to amps and they've been rock solid. Only downside is that they're a bit fiddly when it comes to servicing as they put in some electric putty/goop to seal everything together. Great for keeping connections solid, bad for when you need to rewire it on the fly. That being said, these never get moved around so YMMV.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 12:38:22 PM »

We've had good luck with their small patch cables (both XLR and TRS) and they've served us well. We have a bunch of their 3ft XLRs that we use for our DSP patching to amps and they've been rock solid. Only downside is that they're a bit fiddly when it comes to servicing as they put in some electric putty/goop to seal everything together. Great for keeping connections solid, bad for when you need to rewire it on the fly. That being said, these never get moved around so YMMV.

Yeah, I've got a few of their short patch cables in that rack(along with the other too long ones). They work fairly well, but I don't like their mic and instrument cables. They're too thick and don't seem to hold up well. I just wish they made a 1/4in TRS to dual TS cable for my inserts. 6-2ft(instead of the 10ft ones I have now) insert cables would clean that rack up a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running OmniROM 4.4 KitKat using Tapatalk Pro

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 01:15:00 PM »

Perfect opportunity to polish your soldering skills.  If you have no soldering experience to start with, poke around your church.  someone there knows how to solder.

For those of you interested in learning how to solder, here's a primer I wrote on the subject for PSW a few years ago:

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/church_sound_maintenance_dont_be_afraid_soldering_isnt_scary/

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 01:34:05 PM »

For those of you interested in learning how to solder, here's a primer I wrote on the subject for PSW a few years ago:

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/church_sound_maintenance_dont_be_afraid_soldering_isnt_scary/

Let me add to that good article, if you are going to solder more then 3 or 4 times a year then buy a temperature controlled soldering station.  It is one of those tools that I waited to long to buy.  My reaction the first time I used it was How about that, I really do know how to solder.  How much difference does it make?  I have a soldering pencil in my tool bag.  but if I know I am going to be soldering I will pack up the soldering station and take that with me.

One other trick.  Use small diameter solder. (.031 inch is good)

You can get a off brand soldering station starting at about $30
Not to Code

Taylor Hall

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 12:06:27 PM »

Why go off-brand when you can get a Weller for $39?

http://www.parts-express.com/weller-wlc100-soldering-station--372-120
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 12:06:27 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.