ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI issues...  (Read 10293 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
HDMI issues...
« on: January 31, 2014, 09:29:54 PM »

So I help out(mix FOH) in the youth room at a local church that my friend is a youth minister at. Anyway at youth tonight one of the 70 inch Sharp TVs we use for lyrics/videos has stopped passing video from it's HDMI inputs. I think something had physically failed in the TV as I bypassed all the cable in the ceiling and plugged my laptop(MacBook Pro with mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter) directly into the TVs HDMI inputs and didn't get any signal.

Anyway the normal signal flow is an iMac with mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to a 4-way HDMI splitter which feeds 2 TVs beside the stage with ~50ft cables to each and a 3rd TV at FOH for people on stage to see.

Any ideas? Can the HDMI inputs fail on a TV leaving the other inputs working (I tested the VGA and it's fine)?

Sent from my Nexus 4 running OmniROM 4.4 KitKat using Tapatalk Pro

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
Re: HDMI issues...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 10:50:13 PM »

Yes. They can. They all get scaled and processed differently.

You've bypassed all of the signal chain and tried a known working source to test it. I think it's got to be the TV.

Can you go through the menus at all? You could try a factory default and a firmware update but I'd guess its toast.

If it's under warranty then sharp will send someone out to fix it. If not, I would bet good money that the repair would be worth the money.
Ryan Davis

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 10:56:41 PM »

Yes. They can. They all get scaled and processed differently.

You've bypassed all of the signal chain and tried a known working source to test it. I think it's got to be the TV.

Can you go through the menus at all? You could try a factory default and a firmware update but I'd guess its toast.

If it's under warranty then sharp will send someone out to fix it. If not, I would bet good money that the repair would be worth the money.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. I took my laptop with the HDMI adapter and a short  cable and it wouldn't work, I then I took the laptop rig to the other TV and it worked fine. Also the problem TV's menus and VGA input ate working fine.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 01:21:08 PM »

One of the sets in house routinely has it's HDMI inputs lock up and fails to produce a picture.  Unplugging the monitor as well as the sources from power for a few minutes, resulting in a basic reset, generally brings it back around.  I usually also have to reset various menu parameters as well.  It won't cost you anything to try.  If it continues to happen, you'll need to weigh the PITA/reliability factor verses repair or replacing.
This space for rent

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 02:02:19 PM »

One of the sets in house routinely has it's HDMI inputs lock up and fails to produce a picture.  Unplugging the monitor as well as the sources from power for a few minutes, resulting in a basic reset, generally brings it back around.  I usually also have to reset various menu parameters as well.  It won't cost you anything to try.  If it continues to happen, you'll need to weigh the PITA/reliability factor verses repair or replacing.

Thanks for the suggestion, I passed it on to one of the youth ministers at the church so he can try it Sunday before the youth service that night.

Robert Sims

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 04:04:28 PM »

I'm curious, did anything change or is any part new to the setup? MacBook Pro? 70" ? Splitter?
Did you figure out the problem. My first thought is you could be having an HDCP issue. The newer Macs have HDCP built in to their hardware, so their outputs are always looking for an HDCP compliant device. I'm not sure how many HDCP keys the Mac will issue but if it's less than the monitors you are trying to drive it will shut down the video outputs from the Mac. If it has enough keys you're ok as long as nothing in the signal chain strips the HDCP handshake. Some video switchers don't pass HDCP. Some twisted pair and splitters don't. You might try plugging in each display one at a time, it could be getting hit with key request at the same time. Sort of like 2 devices with the same IP address.

So I help out(mix FOH) in the youth room at a local church that my friend is a youth minister at. Anyway at youth tonight one of the 70 inch Sharp TVs we use for lyrics/videos has stopped passing video from it's HDMI inputs. I think something had physically failed in the TV as I bypassed all the cable in the ceiling and plugged my laptop(MacBook Pro with mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter) directly into the TVs HDMI inputs and didn't get any signal.

Anyway the normal signal flow is an iMac with mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to a 4-way HDMI splitter which feeds 2 TVs beside the stage with ~50ft cables to each and a 3rd TV at FOH for people on stage to see.

Any ideas? Can the HDMI inputs fail on a TV leaving the other inputs working (I tested the VGA and it's fine)?

Robert

I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 04:13:22 PM »

I'm curious, did anything change or is any part new to the setup? MacBook Pro? 70" ? Splitter?
Did you figure out the problem. My first thought is you could be having an HDCP issue. The newer Macs have HDCP built in to their hardware, so their outputs are always looking for an HDCP compliant device. I'm not sure how many HDCP keys the Mac will issue but if it's less than the monitors you are trying to drive it will shut down the video outputs from the Mac. If it has enough keys you're ok as long as nothing in the signal chain strips the HDCP handshake. Some video switchers don't pass HDCP. Some twisted pair and splitters don't. You might try plugging in each display one at a time, it could be getting hit with key request at the same time. Sort of like 2 devices with the same IP address.

I think that the youth director did a factory reset of the TV and it started working with the existing splitter and cables. I'm pretty sure we still have some issues with the cables and/or splitter though as we get some intermittent cut outs on one TV or another. I think they plan to pull all the cable and the splitter and replace it all in the future. They'll probably do it along with some other A/V upgrades/additions they have planned for this year.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 12:29:38 AM »

50 foot is pushing the limits for reliable direct HDMI operation.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 01:30:10 AM »

50 foot is pushing the limits for reliable direct HDMI operation.

Not doubting your experience here, but I helped with an install at another church where we used a 75ft HDMI run. So far there's been no problems and they're running at 1080p. The 75ft cable runs from FOH to a splitter behind one TV where it splits to the 2 TVs. I know Monoprice sells 100ft HDMI cables too which apparently work according to the many decent reviews they have.

Anyway that's been my experience, currently the setup this thread is about has been working fine though the splitter at FOH is a little unreliable.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 09:16:48 AM »

Not doubting your experience here, but I helped with an install at another church where we used a 75ft HDMI run. So far there's been no problems and they're running at 1080p. The 75ft cable runs from FOH to a splitter behind one TV where it splits to the 2 TVs. I know Monoprice sells 100ft HDMI cables too which apparently work according to the many decent reviews they have.
One possible factor in how well it works may be whether it is an active or passive cable, Monorpice sells both.

What concerns me in commercial applications how many times longer cables may be run through paths that might require in-wall, riser or even plenum rated cable, for example above a drop acoustical tile ceiling where the area above the ceiling is used for return air and thus is a plenum space.  Because they sell direct to consumers and most of their sales are for residential applications, many of the cables monoprice sels are CL2 rated for in-wall installation but few are CMR, CMP or similar rated for riser or plenum applications.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 09:16:48 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.