ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fees for console multitracks  (Read 11710 times)

James A. Griffin

Re: Fees for console multitracks
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 10:59:39 pm »

How about just a stereo board recording on usb or CD. What should that cost?

That should pretty much come with the gig if artist requests it... charge for the media and that's it.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 11:07:27 pm »

That should pretty much come with the gig if artist requests it... charge for the media and that's it.

Agreed. I do it gratis. I have a Zoom H1 I have connected up all the time. The one stipulation is that I advise bands to have someone be in charge of hitting the record button because it seems 90% of the time I forget to hit the damn thing when the band gets on stage. Too busy concentrating on my actual job of the live mix and paying attention to what's in front of me.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

James A. Griffin

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 11:08:05 pm »

How do you fit it on a little DVD?
My 24 track recordings of a gig can easily get over 20gb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Recording 48K / 24-bit requires approximately 8.24MB per track minute.   That works out to about 12G for a one hour 24-track set.       You can always spread the tracks out amongst multiple discs.   The DL give you 8.5G per disc.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 09:24:04 am »

If the recording is important enough to request, it has value and a fee should be charged accordingly.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 12:10:24 pm »

If the recording is important enough to request, it has value and a fee should be charged accordingly.
+1. Yeah, if you don't charge, and you mess something up on it, no harm no foul, but I would rather do it right, do it well, and be paid for the time and effort. Even if I am just punching it into the side of the LS9 and hitting record, I am still going to test it during their sound check, including a playback of the recording, to make sure it's sounding like it should. If it's missing something (like audience noise, for example, or maybe something that's high in stage volume isn't very present in the recording) this gives me time to alter my configuration to make sure it's going to be there in the final product.

Your mileage may very on short-turnover gigs like any typical festival.  :o

Edit: And you are asking about multi-tracks, anyways, not stereo board recordings... so ... awkward.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 04:46:37 pm »

If you are a venue and own additional equipment that is solely used to record, then I understand a fee.  But if you are a sound company provider who brings in an LS9 or SC48 as per the rider/advance, how do you justify additional charges to use the same gear in a different way?

Some venues have a fee that goes to the stage hands, which is a different argument.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 05:19:00 pm »

No question here - I'm talking about a venue purchasing additional equipment and media for this purpose, and a second operator for the redundant recording situations mentioned above.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 05:38:32 pm »

If you are a venue and own additional equipment that is solely used to record, then I understand a fee.  But if you are a sound company provider who brings in an LS9 or SC48 as per the rider/advance, how do you justify additional charges to use the same gear in a different way?

Some venues have a fee that goes to the stage hands, which is a different argument.

We don't provide a recording computer with our SC48 unless ordered in advance.  For free I'll put your USB stick in the LS/9 and push record.  I'll make double sure to push record if you incentivize me with a bottle of water or soda.  If you want more than a straight 2 track L/R mix, you better bring dinner and flowers.  Or cash. ;)
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 10:42:25 pm »

Here is a perspective...... I used to be in a band about 12 years ago that was unfortunate enough to have the luxury of booking a gig at the Roxy in LA. We opted to have it recorded and hit them up ahead of time what the cost and needed media was to be recorded. The media we needed was DAT tape and at the time a 60 min reel went for $20 and the cost for a two track mix was $80. Needless to say it was the most worthless recording I have ever heard in my life. The gig was a pain in the butt in just about every way and the one thing we really wanted out of it was useless. I spent $100 for something I wouldn't make my neighbors dog listen to.....

As long as you don't produce anything like that you should be fine. I have noticed that once you get to about $150 it becomes a hard sell for most bands. I charge between $200-$300 for a similar service depending on level of involvement for the production. In your case I would shoot for at least $100 just to acquire tracks. An extra charge for any needed media and of course an hourly rate for the time needed to mix tracks if required. I would plan on putting up a website with links so that bands can hear your work. It's a tough sale when you have kids running around producing band demos for pennies and actually getting good results.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 10:42:25 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 25 queries.