ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pete Seeger, RIP  (Read 2895 times)

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
Pete Seeger, RIP
« on: January 28, 2014, 07:28:44 AM »

Life-long "liberal", folk-singer, protester and advocate for the 5-string banjo passed away last night at age 94. What a life. RIP

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/29/arts/music/pete-seeger-songwriter-and-champion-of-folk-music-dies-at-94.html?_r=0
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Pete Seeger, RIP
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 08:29:01 AM »

Life-long "liberal", folk-singer, protester and advocate for the 5-string banjo passed away last night at age 94. What a life. RIP

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/29/arts/music/pete-seeger-songwriter-and-champion-of-folk-music-dies-at-94.html?_r=0

My friend Jim Lovell who was killed in the train derailment last month was a longtime friend of Pete's, and I first met him in the 1950s because my family moved in the same political circle. He was a part of my life for almost all of it. He may have been the last of the great political folksingers. His wife Toshi died last year. RIP Pete.

Mac
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:28:28 PM by Mac Kerr »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 09:30:02 AM »

Pete Seeger and Woody Guthrie were my introduction to folk music, especially with a people-oriented political slant.

RIP, Pete.

ps. not to swerve this memorial topic too far, but Si Kahn, John McCutcheon and Tom Chapin are among the many songwriters influenced by Seeger and I think they well represent his traditions. :)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 11:02:37 AM »

A bright star in my musical life.
RIP, Pete.  The world will miss you!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 09:44:18 PM »

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber

Lee Brenkman

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 12:08:16 AM »

Long, long ago in a galaxy far away…

Okay Denver Colorado in the 1960s a teenager was charged with setting up the microphones (all three of them) for a concert organized by some organization or another at a high school auditorium.

In those days the "sound check" as we now know it was unknown.  There were no monitors so things WERE pretty basic.  People just walked out on stage and played.

At one point I was told to go backstage and talk to Pete Seeger because he wanted to talk with the person handling the microphones.

When I walked into the room he was standing, banjo in the playing position and motioned me to come right up close.  He pointed to the place on my torso where the center of the banjo was and the place on my forehead where he wanted the vocal mic.  Then he said, "put the two microphones at those heights and I can just start singing without having to fiddle with the hardware".

Can't tell you how many times, when setting microphones for a performer without a sound check I've walked up to them and "gotten their measure" that way.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 12:08:16 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 25 queries.