ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not all 575's are equal.  (Read 1941 times)

Montez Carter

Not all 575's are equal.
« on: January 24, 2014, 04:10:37 am »

Hello all I am a sound and backline provider mainly and am heavy on traditional pre rig lighting with some LED fixtures to compliment. I had purchased a few of  some Chinese 575  moving heads about two years ago suprisingly all are still functioning. Last week to meet a rider I rented some Elation 575E's to fulfill the LD's request.  Right off of the bat I noticed that these things cut a lot better with haze while working with 1000 watt lamps on the pars. The chinese fixtures kind of get out run when you get a couple of the traditional washes going but these seemed to cut right down to the positions on stage they were about 19 feet above my decks on genies. My question is would it be worth picking up an older 575's such as the Mac 500's or such as the ticket on the Elations is more than I want to spend. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DanGlass

Re: Not all 575's are equal.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 08:31:05 am »

My thought would be that you already know what you get for buying the cheaper light.  If your concern is meeting riders than you may have to bite the bullet and purchase the Elation lights, or something else that is rider friendly.  Anytime you buy older lights no matter who makes them you have to be mindful that the fixtures will need some repair.  If you ignore the rider friendly part of selecting a light for a moment you have to take into consideration that older/used lights will need some maintenance and repairs done sooner than later.  Make sure that parts are available and the company has a good reputation for customer support, buying inexspensive lights from overseas will save you money in the short term but you will sacrifice quality and when the fixture breaks they may not have parts or simply may not make that fixture anymore.  Buying the older/used fixtures is not a bad choice at all as long as you do a little homework on the fixture, find out what other people have experienced using them, call the manufacturer and find out if parts are still available, rent one if you can and see what it looks like or at the very least see if anyone put a video on YouTube using it.  Also consider the fact that you will want a fixture that you can buy several of over time meaning that if you only bought 4 of them today then 6 months from now you wanted to buy 4 more make sure there are enough used ones around to fulfill your needs.  Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 07:34:24 pm »

One of the biggest differences between fixtures (and not just the knock-offs) is the optical efficiency. Compare Trackspot to any other fixture using the same lamp. Compare  any of the cheaper fixtures that uses an MSD250 to a Technobeam. It's not just the lamp that makes it brighter....
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jeff Baumgartner

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 12:48:46 pm »

As Duane stated, Optics are basically everything in a fixture. Cheap reflectors and cheap lenses kill the output of a fixture

Make sure you lamps are optimized (bench focused) in the reflector as well. That alone can make a HUGE difference.
Jeff Baumgartner

Show Technologies Audio Visual

Montez Carter

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 07:11:12 pm »

One of the biggest differences between fixtures (and not just the knock-offs) is the optical efficiency. Compare Trackspot to any other fixture using the same lamp. Compare  any of the cheaper fixtures that uses an MSD250 to a Technobeam. It's not just the lamp that makes it brighter....

I have to agree with you as a local sound co here uses the old Trackspots and I am constantly amazed at the the output of those things even when compared with some of the newer 250 output movers and such.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 01:42:34 pm »

We dumped/sold off our MAC500s because they were a pain in the ass and wallet to keep running.  We're selling off our 600s for the same reasons.  We'll be selling off our MAC2000s after this summer because they begin to shit mother boards after 5 years of use.

I wish our market would support the necessary rental prices of brand new (with warranty), specified-on-riders, moving lights.  We'd keep them until the warranty ran out and then replace them.  Unfortunately the promoters and producers here think a $8,000 light should rent for $10/day and the $30,000 Grand MA+ should rent for $25.

I've gotten very, very cynical about moving lights from a business aspect.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 01:42:34 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 23 queries.