ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas Unveils M32 Digital Mixing Console  (Read 37316 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Midas Unveils M32 Digital Mixing Console
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 10:16:05 AM »

Midas Pro Faders, Midas Pro Preamps, Better ergonomics for the case (tilt), perhaps a better screen in daylight, perhaps better support/warranty,...  Useless higher sample rates implies more processing power for additional features/routing/busses/ for expandability, maybe better algorithms one day,...

Either the X32 is too good for the price or the M32 isn't different enough.  I sincerely doubt there is an audible difference in preamps when operated within their linear range.  The more robust fader and perhaps rotary controls/buttons are a longevity improvement, not necessarily a functional one.

The 96k operation and internal 192k processing may or may not be worth $2000 down the road, but it will ensure connectivity with the rest of the Midas/KT line.

The feature set, otherwise, appears to be largely identical to X32 v2.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 11:08:36 AM »

I sincerely doubt there is an audible difference in preamps when operated within their linear range. 
Yes, but IIRC Midas has a proprietary mic preamp overload (limiter) that encourages running the front end hotter and trades some relatively benign limiting for more apparent headroom/dynamic range. I am not a fan of the concept but some users appear to like it.
The more robust fader and perhaps rotary controls/buttons are a longevity improvement, not necessarily a functional one.
More expensive controls seems like an expected feature enhancement on a higher priced model.
The 96k operation and internal 192k processing may or may not be worth $2000 down the road, but it will ensure connectivity with the rest of the Midas/KT line.
Probably more perceived than real benefit, but the higher sample rate was apparently reserved for the Midas version to deliver some differentiation from the lower priced spread.
The feature set, otherwise, appears to be largely identical to X32 v2.
More expensive controls and voodoo preamps are actual features, while functionally the consoles may be similar.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 11:48:35 AM »

Fader issues are a common X32 complaint, as there is no calibration protocol. Is this same situation with M32?

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 02:17:19 PM »

Fader issues are a common X32 complaint, as there is no calibration protocol. Is this same situation with M32?

They talk about the faders a lot early in the brochure :) haha. They're implying better at least.

If it has similar I/O latency to the X32 (which is very low), but @ 96k, it could have REALLY low latency.

Imagining a bigger company with A bunch of Midas Pro1-9, it could totally be worth it to them having a few extra features plus "Midas" not Berry on the front, just for a few Gs. Not a significant price difference in a company with $200k worth of consoles. Very interesting though, just thinking aloud...

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 02:26:25 PM »

They talk about the faders a lot early in the brochure :) haha. They're implying better at least.

If it has similar I/O latency to the X32 (which is very low), but @ 96k, it could have REALLY low latency.

Imagining a bigger company with A bunch of Midas Pro1-9, it could totally be worth it to them having a few extra features plus "Midas" not Berry on the front, just for a few Gs. Not a significant price difference in a company with $200k worth of consoles. Very interesting though, just thinking aloud...

I've already shared this announcement with a few of my sound Co. owning brethren that i have spoken with in the past about the X32.  None of them could put a X32 out on a show simply because of Behringer's past reputation for low-end gear as it would reflect poorly on their company.  But to get an X32 with the Midas name on it at this price point will appeal to many of them.  The X32 has already proven to be a good performer with a good reliability track record at this point.  And most clients won't really know or care where the pedigree comes from.  They'll just see a familiar brand name on a nice looking desk and think 'awesome, my vendor is using the latest and greatest equipment on my show.  They really ARE worth what i pay them'.  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 02:37:22 PM »

I've already shared this announcement with a few of my sound Co. owning brethren that i have spoken with in the past about the X32.  None of them could put a X32 out on a show simply because of Behringer's past reputation for low-end gear as it would reflect poorly on their company.  But to get an X32 with the Midas name on it at this price point will appeal to many of them.  The X32 has already proven to be a good performer with a good reliability track record at this point.  And most clients won't really know or care where the pedigree comes from.  They'll just see a familiar brand name on a nice looking desk and think 'awesome, my vendor is using the latest and greatest equipment on my show.  They really ARE worth what i pay them'.  :)

I used a piece of purple gaff tape and a gold Sharpie to "midas-ize" my X32.  It's very handsome.  8)

This is a cynical (but expected and marginally brilliant) move by Behringer to utilize the X platform and use the brand differentiation to see exactly where brand loyalty/price points converge or diverge.

If one needs the 96k 'feature' then Midas is the brand.  If you can't have "Berry" on the badge, M32 is an answer.  If you need the utility of interfacing with your existing Midas/KT inventory, the M32 is the answer. If you don't have those issues, save $2k and get the X32 or a Soundcraft.

Really, though, I think we're seeing the continuation of the distributed i/o & non-mix processing that will further blur brand and market-position distinctions in mixers.

It's a great time to be in live audio. :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 02:52:07 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Chiara

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 04:29:54 PM »

Yes, but IIRC Midas has a proprietary mic preamp overload (limiter) that encourages running the front end hotter and trades some relatively benign limiting for more apparent headroom/dynamic range. I am not a fan of the concept but some users appear to like it. More expensive controls seems like an expected feature enhancement on a higher priced model. Probably more perceived than real benefit, but the higher sample rate was apparently reserved for the Midas version to deliver some differentiation from the lower priced spread. More expensive controls and voodoo preamps are actual features, while functionally the consoles may be similar.

JR

I know a local monitor desk...a Midas 200 series...and the techs regularly crank the preamps until the channel clip lights are flashing or on....and it does NOT make for any useful results...IMO.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 06:21:26 PM »

There have been a lot of posts in the various forums from recording folk complaining about the X32 only being 48k. The M32 may end up giving them something they can use while still being affordable though a bit more than the x32.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 06:22:57 PM »

If the M32 was available when I was buying my GLD, I might have a different desk today. It will be interesting how this plays out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 08:01:31 PM »

I really wanted the X32 to work for me for musical theater but the limited cue capabilities wouldn’t work for me. I haven’t been following the X32 software updates so I don’t know if it is only on the M32 but it looks like it handles 500 cues. It is worded a little bit interestingly it says it handles 100 scenes and 500 cues. So I am real interested in how they implement that.

Does anyone know when this is supposed to be available and who will be selling it? Will a dealer that currently sells the X32 be allowed to sell the M32?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 08:01:31 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.