ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Socapex speaker runs  (Read 15353 times)

Josh Hana

Re: Socapex speaker runs
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 09:22:25 AM »

I see socapex runs for speakers on touring Broadway shows all the time.

We use Socapex fairly often for our monitor rig when running biamped wedges. 1 trunk breaks to 4x nl4. We have socapex> NL8 as our B rig fly looms too.

All the audio connectors are painted blue, all the lighting is painted red, we make sure to mention that to stagehands if both are being used.

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 10:05:55 AM »

It is pretty standard.

You just need to be aware of what cables are going where. 

With any cable you should not be "randomly" plugging it in.  Know what it is and where it goes.
I see it all the time too.  In a perfect world it's fine.  In a tour situation it's probably not as big of problem.  In this case it was a corporate show with different departments not communicating all that well.

In the OP's case he is starting out with a new cable system.  I was trying to dissuade the use of an AC connector for speakers.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

John Penkala

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 10:51:31 AM »

Why not just use NL8.  That would give you what you need.  I assume you are running the tops passive (not biamped) so you would get a separate feed to each box with the right conductors and it us a lot less weight than Soco.  You can make a short squid that is NL8 to four NL4s and use a coupler to connect them so that you won't lose the versatility of the NL8 cable.

+1

However, I would use NL8 to whichever of these Whirlwind SBNL boxes you need. In my small rig I use NL8's to to both sides for bi-amped tops and subs and another NL8 that carries 4 passive wedge mixes. It's a very versitile system. I think Socapex might be overkill for you. And, the Socapex connectors/cable will cost more if you don't already own it.

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/snakes-splitters-and-multiwiring-systems/splitters/sbnl-series-nl-splitter-breakouts

-JP
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 11:06:28 PM by John Penkala »

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 07:01:53 PM »

In my small rig I use NL8's to to both sides for bi-amped tops and subs and another NL8 that carries 4 passive wedge mixes. It's very versitile system. I think Socapex might be overkill for you. And, the Socapex connectors/cable will cost more if you don't already own it.

I agree with this approach. I use NL8 for tri-amped tops and also NL8 for 4 passive wedge mixes the daisy chaining works like a charm and saves a bunch of cable runs. Using socapex for this small a set up seems like waaaay overkill. There are easier (and lighter) ways to accomplish the same thing.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Taylor Holden

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 04:59:56 PM »

originally i was going to use NL8 but i stumbled upon a pre made 19 pin socapex with nl4 fanout and break out box already pre made. This later will allow me to bi amp and add speakers for future flexibility. I also have 0 NL cables right now and literally just bought these speakers. I used to only have a 1/4" system.

So this is a completely new system to me. The cable is already made correctly I metered it all just need to buy a custom rack panel now. Does anyone suggestions on custom panels?

This cable actually was previously used by DB sound. Also my system is used for one offs that i do on my own. No other lighting companies or audio companies are involved so the confusing the cable thing will never be an issue.

For touring this is a very normal thing but companies have different cables that they use to do it. I say this just from working for a touring company as of recently.

These pre made ones are pretty nice and not wired for lighting.

Neil White

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 06:06:08 PM »

So this is a completely new system to me. The cable is already made correctly I metered it all just need to buy a custom rack panel now. Does anyone suggestions on custom panels?

From the picture, that cable looks to be 4 x NL4 to a Socapex Female connector. This would normally be a break in cable rather than a break out.

A socapex panel for an amp rack would normally have a female connector on it and the break out cable for the speaker end would be a male socapex to 4 x NL4. This means you don't have exposed pins with speaker voltage on anywhere in the system.

Neil

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 05:11:15 AM »

Don't use SOCA for speakers!  I just now got home from a gig where a helpful stage hand or audio guy connected to a random "extra" SOCA on the truss.  Fortunately we caught it before powering up the 208V moving light distro and 120V dimmers.  We were very close to frying some speakers.

2 things:

1) Soca is the industry standard for a good reason. It works and its ubiquitous. Good labelling and competent crew fixes these problems. Lots of companies over here (EU) actually use non-shorted ground soca for lighting so that it is interchangeable.

2) I've seen a hang of D&B Q1 be connected to a 240v lighting soca and livened up. It made a nasty noise, but it worked fine, no damage.
Riedel Communications

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 03:52:21 PM »

Years ago I worked on a "Soca-Rig", and the connectors were reversed (as compared to the lighting rig). You couldn't patch audio to lights even if you wanted to...
Our inventory didn't have the shorting rings, so the same cables could be used for the whole set-up.
In the "old days", soca was real time saver when you were screwing with 20-30 boxes a side. Soca to EP-6 was the "standard" breakout, with soca patch panels at the amps.

I would not hesitate to use it today, if I had the need.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 03:52:21 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 25 queries.