ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: For those using active speakers  (Read 21079 times)

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Re: For those using active speakers
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 12:10:10 PM »

One of these days I'll post a picture of a 250' 54 pair snake running under/next to/on top of the 10/5 AC service to FOH... and the 50' part of the run where it's on top of the 4/0 lighting feeder and the #2 audio feeder.  Not a hum or buzz to be heard.

Funny, a few years ago we had some Art Institute  students helping with set up at a gig.  They were appalled when they saw me running AC cables next to signal cables and told me how they had been taught differently.  I said "welcome to the real world" and continued on with my set up.

I run powered subs with unpowered tops and monitors.  I simply cannot afford powered tops that would equal the performance of my SRX 722's or powered monitors equal to my SRX 712's, and I'm not totally convinced about any advantage in set up time/convenience.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:15:40 PM by Chuck Simon »

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 12:11:55 PM »

I'm particularly sold on powered monitors for my rig. If I needed to buy a bigger FOH system (which I don't), I would consider unpowered FOH alongside powered options, but I'm pretty sold on powered monitors because of the sheer number of them. For a 6 mix 6 wedge biamp'd rig I'd need 12 amp channels and 6 DSP channels. This could be ~15U of rack. With something expensive you could get it down to less RUs, but powered wedges makes it lighter and smaller for me. RCF NX12s are 36 lbs a piece.

Damn it. Just when I was thinking about selling my powered wedges. >:(

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
For those using active speakers
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 12:27:55 PM »

Damn it. Just when I was thinking about selling my powered wedges. >:(

Haha well don't take me TOO seriously. Certain boxes like the SRX712 sound great on a single amp channel,  so it's not exactly apples to apples. What boxes are you running again, Jamin?

PS - my biggest complaint of powered monitors is at rider venues because you can't put two boxes on one amp channel per artist request. With JBL VP wedges, it's pretty damn expensive to buy extra boxes just to satisfy the artists who demand a wall of speakers at every position.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:33:01 PM by Samuel Rees »

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 12:57:25 PM »

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EC950

This is a power/signal cable. Price is a little steep here, but this is the product being referred to.

Wow, that's a game changer.   I can run that as fast as I can run a speaker cord.  From aux send and rack mounted power straight to monitor.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 01:12:30 PM »

Haha well don't take me TOO seriously. Certain boxes like the SRX712 sound great on a single amp channel,  so it's not exactly apples to apples. What boxes are you running again, Jamin?

PS - my biggest complaint of powered monitors is at rider venues because you can't put two boxes on one amp channel per artist request. With JBL VP wedges, it's pretty damn expensive to buy extra boxes just to satisfy the artists who demand a wall of speakers at every position.

I have 5 VP wedges. 4 across the front and 1 on top of a VRX powered sub for drum monitor. Pretty good and simple set up. It's those multiple band events where no two set ups are the same that are a problem. Moving monitors all over the stage...nothing really major though.

I guess the advantages of self powered monitors, which are many, out weighs the few disadvantages.

It's that one time disadvantage that you remember most.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 02:31:54 PM »

And having to keep the power cabling away from the signal cables.

No real need.  The signal cables are balanced and symmetrical so any pickup of noise is cancelled out by common mode rejection and the power cables sort of do the same thing in reverse.  Anything coming from the live conductor is cancelled out by the reverse coming from the neutral.

Steve.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 03:35:58 PM »

Wow, that's a game changer.   I can run that as fast as I can run a speaker cord.  From aux send and rack mounted power straight to monitor.

Just use electrical tape to bind power leads to xlr cables.  Same result, less $$$.  If you don't like it, just pull the tape off.

Peter Morris

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 04:34:52 PM »

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EC950

This is a power/signal cable. Price is a little steep here, but this is the product being referred to.

If you are running an all active/powered rig, combined signal and power cable is a must - separate power and signal cables will drive you crazy!

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 04:42:13 PM »

I have 5 VP wedges. 4 across the front and 1 on top of a VRX powered sub for drum monitor. Pretty good and simple set up. It's those multiple band events where no two set ups are the same that are a problem. Moving monitors all over the stage...nothing really major though.

I guess the advantages of self powered monitors, which are many, out weighs the few disadvantages.

It's that one time disadvantage that you remember most.

VP wedges always sound awesome to me! I work with them at one of my venues.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 04:51:06 PM »

If you are running an all active/powered rig, combined signal and power cable is a must - separate power and signal cables will drive you crazy!

Maybe for a static setup, but for my summer/fall stages I need more flexibility.  I go with a power drop across the front of the stage, one on each side and two in the rear.  There's power immediately available everywhere.  Monitors can be fed/daisy-chained as needed.

Wedges can be re-positioned and re-cabled quickly and easily.  Having to deal with dual-purpose cables in this case makes less sense.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 04:51:06 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.