ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: For those using active speakers  (Read 17227 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: For those using active speakers
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2014, 11:31:47 pm »

It was my understanding that running a/c along with the snake was not permissible. Can anyone confirm this?

We routinely (as in "every time") run 8/5 (120/208v, 30 amps) right next to, on top of, or beneath a 54 pair mic snake and 12 ch drive snake.  It's 250 feet, and in one venue about 60' of that run is on top of the 3 phase 4/0 lighting feeder and 3 phase #2 audio feeder.

No hum, no buzz.

I've run FOH power with the input snake for 30 years.  It's not the issue it was 40 years ago... ;)
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Mark McFarlane

• Middle East
    • Arkose Records
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2014, 04:06:06 am »

It was my understanding that running a/c along with the snake was not permissible. Can anyone confirm this?

There is a lot of empirical evidence that this is a non-issue, but I can't help but wonder if the quality of the shield on the snake and the individual pairs is a factor.  Theoretically any noise picked up in the balanced run will be cancelled out when the polarity of one of the two signal cables is flipped and added.  Again, with good quality equipment probably not an issue, but on the margins.... I don't know.
Mark McFarlane
ARKOSERECORDS
Turn down what's too loud.

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2014, 05:32:17 pm »

There is a lot of empirical evidence that this is a non-issue, but I can't help but wonder if the quality of the shield on the snake and the individual pairs is a factor. 
If you are running balanced interfaces up your input snake and down your drive snake, it is absolutely a non-issue.
1. This is why the cable is made from a twisted pair.
2. This is what balanced interfaces are for, canceling out common mode noise.

The balanced input interface cancels out any interference that your cable is picking up from the power cables.

Also, note that the conductors in your power cables are twisted. This greatly reduces the radiated field from your SO type power cables.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

Lyle Williams

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2014, 08:16:34 pm »

If I was building a studio I'd run power and signal separately.  Live audio, no problem.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2014, 12:08:55 pm »

If I was building a studio I'd run power and signal separately.  Live audio, no problem.

Yeah but we're not building studios in these forums...
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Lyle Williams

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2014, 05:16:23 pm »

Yeah but we're not building studios in these forums...

100% my point. :-)  In an empty room with amps cranked to 11 standing right in front of the speakers can I hear a slight buzz?  Yes, but when the show is on that buzz will be buried under 60dB+ of music.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2014, 05:16:23 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.