ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: For those using active speakers  (Read 17244 times)

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
For those using active speakers
« on: January 14, 2014, 06:32:54 pm »

Question for anyone who has switched from totally passive to totally active.  How do you really feel about now?

While I've been using active subs I can't seem to get past the need to run twice as much cabling (power and signal) should I decide switch to active monitors and tops. And what if an amp or horn fails? Do you guys carry one extra of every active speaker model you use?  Of just pray nothing breaks during a show? 

Just wondering if anyone who's switched is thinking of going back before i switch over?
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: For those using active speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 06:49:17 pm »

Question for anyone who has switched from totally passive to totally active.  How do you really feel about now?

While I've been using active subs I can't seem to get past the need to run twice as much cabling (power and signal) should I decide switch to active monitors and tops. And what if an amp or horn fails? Do you guys carry one extra of every active speaker model you use?  Of just pray nothing breaks during a show? 

Just wondering if anyone who's switched is thinking of going back before i switch over?

We have DB Technologies DVA T4 and VerTec 4887 (closest product to the T4).  If a horn driver goes in either one, what do we do?  It's hanging in the air.  Even if ground stacked, would we break the stack down to replace the diaphragm during the show?  Probably not.  You keep going as best you can.  If a T4 amp were to die, it's only 1 box.  If an amp powering the VerTec 4887 goes down, up to 4 speakers could be affected.

We don't have any powered conventional speakers and the redundancy vectors are different.

But the real deal, Scott, is that speakers (and usually amps) don't die at random, for mysterious reasons.  If you kill one box, amp, or pass band you're probably about to kill another.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 07:12:27 pm »

Come over to the active side Luke...I mean Scott, put the NL4s' in stasis. 

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 07:33:19 pm »

My entire inventory is powered, and so is the inventory of a venue I system tech. I wouldn't go back at all.

Having a large number of small powered subs allowed me to play with various directional sub techniques long before anyone else in my area could.

You also get past the idea that you have have to run 2 cables to every speaker. Wedge power can be looped along the downstage edge. It can come from the opposite side of the stage. Wedges buried in the band can feed from backline power.

Another flexibility advantage: It used to be common to inventory 2 wedges per mix (8 wedges+4 channel amp rack). Now you can do as many mixes as you have boxes when necessary. You can also easily distribute speakers around a venue as necessary when doing higher-value events. Some events I do involve little powered boxes on tripods plugged into any available wall outlet, and fed with audio from an IEM receiver.

No, I'm not going back.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Bob Kidd

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 07:46:34 pm »

I actually have both in my inventory and what is used is based on situation. I was going to go all active but had a hard time finding active that sounded as good as my srx system. I guess It is a personal thing with me. Lol.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 07:56:55 pm »

I've been 100% active for a few years now. Not having an amp rack is nice. Depending on your set up, you can get the power/signal cables. They come in handy.

I'm still on the fence for monitors though. Active is good if your using 3-4 wedges for only one band on a smaller stage. Sometimes they can be a bit of a hassle for multiple bands who need the wedges in deferent locations from the previous band. The power/signal cables makes that easier but to me not as easy as a single speaker wire to the monitors.
MAGA-Make Audio Great Again

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 08:46:11 pm »

We too are 100% active and have only had two boxes with issues over the years. We run T4's  , T12's, S20's NX12SMA's, S10's all from dB tech and RCF, also forgot to mention the TT11A and TT26A subs...the amps with all SMPS power sip electricity...we have done the same event over the years on 4 - 20A circuits in an outdoor venue and have run the full T4 rig with 4 S20's and stage power and have not tripped a breaker (yet), but the power is fed with #10's from the distro panel in the venue. But having said that, not sorry, very pleased and don't look back on loosing the amp racks...we do all our processing with the speakers and the digital boards...best thing is we can take out the rig or just a few and get the same power output of each box for every event...don't need to worry about impedance's between boxes, drivers etc. any longer...
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 09:59:54 pm »

I actually have both in my inventory and what is used is based on situation. I was going to go all active but had a hard time finding active that sounded as good as my srx system. I guess It is a personal thing with me. Lol.

Same here....used active for a while but got tired of running the extra power cords and +1 on  SRX comment...I LOVE my SRX's too....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 10:42:19 pm »

How do you really feel about now?

+1 to the other responses.  Been running active since 2001, on my 5th generation of active boxes.  Currently running QSC KW181, RCF NX-12sma and Fulcrum Acoustic FA12ac, waiting on the Fulcrum TS215ac subs.  I do carry a spare box on most shows, or have a fast reconfiguration plan, but haven't ever needed to activate it: they've been that reliable, and I get better quality, lower weight, simpler operations and maintenance and a smaller footprint in the venue and the truck.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
Re: For those using SELF POWERED speakers
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 11:44:00 pm »

Pedantic rant [on]

The term should be "self powered" or even more technically correct "self amplified." Any multiway speaker box that doesn't use internal passive crossovers and uses analog or digital processing to divide up the band passes is an "active" speaker whether or not the amps are built into the speaker. We can thank Mackie for confusing the naming convention when they shipped the 1st SRM450s, drenching the industry with the the term "active" advertising their self amplified boxes. It stuck like glue, right or wrong.

Pedantic rant [over]
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: For those using SELF POWERED speakers
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 11:44:00 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.