ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound Board to Camera Audio Setup  (Read 10440 times)

Spencer McPeake

Sound Board to Camera Audio Setup
« on: January 12, 2014, 07:58:35 PM »

Hello, I am new to this forum, seeing as this is my first post.

My question is, I am wanting to run a Carvin C3244 32 channel analog mixer into a Panasonic AG-HMC40 (with the XLR adaptor). I am a bit stumped as to how to do this. As it sits now, I am running audio signal from the tape out ports on the board to the camera via RCA audio cable > 1/4" adaptor > XLR. My problem is that with this setup my audio has a weird hum noise in the background, and that when the music comes in, it overpowers the speaker. is there any solve to this problem?

The Mono XLR port is open and the LR stereo XLR ports are being used.

If this post was posted in the wrong section, please inform me as to where I should ask this.

Thanks!
Spencer McPeake
Grace Point Church

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Sound Board to Camera Audio Setup
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 08:10:48 PM »

Hello, I am new to this forum, seeing as this is my first post.

My question is, I am wanting to run a Carvin C3244 32 channel analog mixer into a Panasonic AG-HMC40 (with the XLR adaptor). I am a bit stumped as to how to do this. As it sits now, I am running audio signal from the tape out ports on the board to the camera via RCA audio cable > 1/4" adaptor > XLR. My problem is that with this setup my audio has a weird hum noise in the background, and that when the music comes in, it overpowers the speaker. is there any solve to this problem?

The Mono XLR port is open and the LR stereo XLR ports are being used.

If this post was posted in the wrong section, please inform me as to where I should ask this.

Thanks!

Welcome aboard. 

A little more info would help with your overall application.  What exactly do you need to get into the camera?  Often any such audio feed will have a bit of a different composition than the live sound, so if you're doing both from one mixer you'll want a way to get a specific record mix.  This can be done several ways, but first lets hook you up to the camera.

I always use transformer isolation between the sound desk and anything like a camera or a media connection.  You can use one of these:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/349963.html

This not only will help eliminate noise/interference, but it will also allow you to use your RCA outs to feed the device and continue with a balanced XLR connection to the camera.

You should also have a way to control the level of the output signal to the camera and may also want to have some kind of multi-band compression available for the record feed.  But this depends on the dynamic range of the program you're sending to the camera.  This is another reason why I mention knowing what kind of program material you want to send to the camera.

That's a start.  The more info you can give, the better the answers will be for you.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Spencer McPeake

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 08:48:20 PM »

Welcome aboard. 

A little more info would help with your overall application.  What exactly do you need to get into the camera?  Often any such audio feed will have a bit of a different composition than the live sound, so if you're doing both from one mixer you'll want a way to get a specific record mix.  This can be done several ways, but first lets hook you up to the camera.

I always use transformer isolation between the sound desk and anything like a camera or a media connection.  You can use one of these:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/349963.html

This not only will help eliminate noise/interference, but it will also allow you to use your RCA outs to feed the device and continue with a balanced XLR connection to the camera.

You should also have a way to control the level of the output signal to the camera and may also want to have some kind of multi-band compression available for the record feed.  But this depends on the dynamic range of the program you're sending to the camera.  This is another reason why I mention knowing what kind of program material you want to send to the camera.

That's a start.  The more info you can give, the better the answers will be for you.

I am wanting to get all of the mics (singers/preachers) and the instrument inputs into the camera.

so basically,

x4 wired mics
x1 handheld wireless
x1 wireless (goes on your head)
x1 choir mic
x1 drums (running stereo)
x1 piano (running stereo)
x1 bass
x1 lead guitar

This all running straight from the mixer into the camera, if possible.

If this does not answer your question, please elaborate more because I am not sure I fully understand what you're asking.
Spencer McPeake
Grace Point Church

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 09:05:28 PM »

I am wanting to get all of the mics (singers/preachers) and the instrument inputs into the camera.

so basically,

x4 wired mics
x1 handheld wireless
x1 wireless (goes on your head)
x1 choir mic
x1 drums (running stereo)
x1 piano (running stereo)
x1 bass
x1 lead guitar

This all running straight from the mixer into the camera, if possible.

If this does not answer your question, please elaborate more because I am not sure I fully understand what you're asking.

Thanks for the info.  Here's the deal:

If you're mixing the musicians through your console for the house PA, anything with any appreciable volume from the stage such as drums, guitar amps, keyboard amps, etc. will have a lower level in the PA than things like voices and acoustic instruments which depend more upon the PA for their presence in the mix.  This results in the typical "board dub" type of audio feed with nice levels for vocal and acoustic but lower levels for drums and amplified instruments.

You can certainly just feed the camera a split of the house mix, but it will not sound right.  There is a way to route things through the board you have and get a balanced stereo feed to your camera and a mono mix to the house.  You should be running the house mix in mono at any rate, so this is no sacrifice.

But the routing is a bit esoteric due to the rather limited capability of your mixer.  You will feed the house system via one of your auxes, the camera feed from the main stereo outs.  But one more question:

Are you running monitors and if so how many auxes do they take up???? 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 09:26:10 PM by dick rees »

Spencer McPeake

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 09:37:34 PM »

Thanks for the info.  Here's the deal:

If you're mixing the musicians through your console for the house PA, anything with any appreciable volume from the stage such as drums, guitar amps, keyboard amps, etc. will have a lower level in the PA than things like voices and acoustic instruments which depend more upon the PA for their presence in the mix.  This results in the typical "board dub" type of audio feed with nice levels for vocal and acoustic but lower levels for drums and amplified instruments.

You can certainly just feed the camera a split of the house mix, but it will not sound right.  There is a way to route things through the board you have and get a balanced stereo feed to your camera and a mono mix to the house.  You should be running the house mix in mono at any rate, so this is no sacrifice.

But the routing is a bit esoteric due to the rather limited capability of your mixer.  You will feed the house system via one of your auxes, the camera feed from the main stereo outs.  But one more question:

Are you running monitors and if so how many auxes do they take up????

We are running 2 monitors (which are run off amps on stage and I'm not sure how many auxs they take up). One of the Amps is controlled by the main sound board and the other is controlled via an Aviom CS Personal Mixer. All the Musicians are using Avioms also.
Spencer McPeake
Grace Point Church

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 09:49:09 PM »

We are running 2 monitors (which are run off amps on stage and I'm not sure how many auxs they take up). One of the Amps is controlled by the main sound board and the other is controlled via an Aviom CS Personal Mixer. All the Musicians are using Avioms also.

OK.  You have auxes available for use.

With the Carvin mixer you have there is a sort of work-around that will let you do two mixes, one for the house (mono) and one for the recording (stereo) and have both be properly balanced.  It is a bit involved, so I won't get into it right now.

Alternatively, you might accomplish the desired result by utilizing another smaller auxiliary mixer to take several "stems" from your main mixer and re-balancing them for the recording.  This would generally involve a second person to assist, but after the initial setup might be covered by a single technician along with the house mix.

There's a lot more to doing it properly than simply hooking things together so that there's no signal degradation or added noise...

Spencer McPeake

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 09:49:46 AM »

OK.  You have auxes available for use.

With the Carvin mixer you have there is a sort of work-around that will let you do two mixes, one for the house (mono) and one for the recording (stereo) and have both be properly balanced.  It is a bit involved, so I won't get into it right now.

Alternatively, you might accomplish the desired result by utilizing another smaller auxiliary mixer to take several "stems" from your main mixer and re-balancing them for the recording.  This would generally involve a second person to assist, but after the initial setup might be covered by a single technician along with the house mix.

There's a lot more to doing it properly than simply hooking things together so that there's no signal degradation or added noise...

Thanks for the help!
Spencer McPeake
Grace Point Church

Spencer McPeake

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 10:59:11 AM »

Also, if it helps, here is a picture of the board and how it's configured:
Spencer McPeake
Grace Point Church

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 11:17:55 AM »

Thanks for the help!

Since you have the Aviom, you could simply do a camera mix with one extra personal monitor module.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 08:56:16 AM »

My problem is that with this setup my audio has a weird hum noise in the background, and that when the music comes in, it overpowers the speaker. is there any solve to this problem?
The XLR input to you camera may be mic level not line level.
Check in the camera software if you can set the XLR input from "mic" to "line" or if there is a pad available.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 03:40:48 PM »

The XLR input to you camera may be mic level not line level.
Check in the camera software if you can set the XLR input from "mic" to "line" or if there is a pad available.

The camera he has will accept either mic or line inputs.  The switch is a physical one on the camera and is clearly labeled.  I feed to this camera often.

The hum is a balanced/unbalanced problem coming from trying to simply hardwire from the RCA outs to the camera.  The Ebtech unit I linked in the first response will solve this problem.

Edit for the OP:

The transformer iso (Ebtech) unit is fed from the board using RCA > 1/4" TS cables, then run your long cables to the camera using XLR (mic) cables.  This should eliminate the noise you're hearing now. 

As I said before, this will likely not yield a sonically balanced program to your camera, neither will it enable you to set the output level from the board to a stable level.  Any changes in the masters on the board will affect the RCA outs and you may well need to have separate level control for the camera feed which does NOT follow the main mix fader levels.

It's easy to get a quiet feed to the camera.  But to get a decent mix at a usable level is a whole 'nother thing.     
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 04:02:25 PM by dick rees »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 03:40:48 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.