ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha CL5 or M7CL?  (Read 20218 times)

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
Re: Yamaha CL5 or M7CL?
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 01:10:02 AM »

What I can't figure out is why is Yamaha pushing the CL5 so hard. (Not that I'm complaining)

My church purchased a CL5 for our broadcast mix during the November promo and we've had our eye's on a second one for PA so we could share the RIO boxes using Gain Compensation. This current promo sure got our attention.

I'm sure Yamaha knows some thing we don't. I'd just like to know if I would care if I knew what they know.

Philip

What Yamaha knows, better than anyone, is how to gain market share in a very competitive business.  If they can get a client set up with a CL5 then hopefully that client will continue to expand with the brand.  The better the products network together, the more possibilities there are to continue to build customer loyalty.  To me, this promo looks like it is directly aimed at Houses of a Worship and Performing Arts Centers more so than production companies. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 01:22:10 AM »

What Yamaha knows, better than anyone, is how to gain market share in a very competitive business.  If they can get a client set up with a CL5 then hopefully that client will continue to expand with the brand.  The better the products network together, the more possibilities there are to continue to build customer loyalty.  To me, this promo looks like it is directly aimed at Houses of a Worship and Performing Arts Centers more so than production companies.

In the trade in blurb it says "we will send a road case for your M7..." so it's certainly install-friendly.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 02:57:29 AM »

In the trade in blurb it says "we will send a road case for your M7..." so it's certainly install-friendly.
The problem for many installs is the turn around time. They say "less than two weeks" but that's still one and likely two weekends with out a console if my church were to take advantage of this deal. Obviously my dealer could rent me a loaner but that is extra complication and expense.

Philip

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 06:58:16 AM »

We have 3 venues/systems.  One with a cl1, one with a cl3 and one with an M7cl-Es.  It's is incredibly tempting to possibly have the same interoperable hardware and networking in each of our systems/venues.   

Can we assume Yamaha is trying amass repair parts for m7s and the console is about to be EOL'd?

Scott Helmke

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 10:08:46 AM »

I doubt Yamaha is worried about needing to salvage repair parts from old M7CL's. This is just a promotion to push the CL series and hasten the demise of some of those too-reliable M7CL consoles. Brain share more than market share, I would guess - it's a limited time and limited quantity promotion. They would want more BE's requesting CL consoles with the premium effects, and more churches networking multiple consoles together.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 11:31:14 AM »

This could have a much more prosaic answer as well.  Yamaha could have a substantial inventory of CL5s sitting in California and more importantly in dealers warehouses and that inventory costs money.  Dealers in particular would be very anxious to move big chunks of cold inventory that have been gathering dust for perhaps a year or more and may be pushing Yamaha to support the product harder.  I wouldn't be surprised if this move has as much to do with accounting rules as marketing plans.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 11:31:33 AM »

I didn't ever want to part with my Yamaha 2408M until I got my Soundcraft 500M-40

And so it goes...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 11:38:42 AM »

This could have a much more prosaic answer as well.  Yamaha could have a substantial inventory of CL5s sitting in California and more importantly in dealers warehouses and that inventory costs money.  Dealers in particular would be very anxious to move big chunks of cold inventory that have been gathering dust for perhaps a year or more and may be pushing Yamaha to support the product harder.  I wouldn't be surprised if this move has as much to do with accounting rules as marketing plans.

Also note that the trade-in does this:

You send a functional, stand alone mixer to Yamaha and you get a big discount on the CL5 SURFACE.  No Rio units are included.  The Rio3224 streets for around $7200 (more or less).  The discount is nice, but for folks that are lured into thinking they'll replace the functionality of their M7 for ~$13,000 are not reading between the lines.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Heinz

• Concert Quality Sound
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 01:04:03 PM »

I agree 100%. The build schedule is way beyond the sell schedule. I'm sure it also has a lot to do with customer retention. Rather than a client considering another brand or path because the current console is end of life, entice them to keep it in the family. Selling this upgrade to a church board or school board it a little more palletable that shifting gears to another brand with additional cost. On a personal note, I think there was a big miss not adding the 5D card slot to the CL series. I know it's not designed to replace a 5D, but it could have been a more accepted subsitute if it had the capability. On a regional level, we don't have time day of show to do file conversions and that's why visiting engineers want the console they want. I've seen this first hand with Avid Profiles and SC48's. We do not reward promoters with resticted budgets, if the band wants a Profile, and the promoter only wants to pay for an SC48, at least after evaluating the BE concerns, we generally can get them to take the SC48. The difference is $300-$400 of console cost, multiply that by 2 and it can be why you get the gig. The problem with Yamaha is ,there is no middle ground. Inter console operability within the brand is going to be key for future success.

John Heinz
Concert Quality

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 02:08:01 PM »

We have 3 venues/systems.  One with a cl1, one with a cl3 and one with an M7cl-Es.  It's is incredibly tempting to possibly have the same interoperable hardware and networking in each of our systems/venues.
I don't think the M7CL-ES qualifies, only the M7CL-48.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 02:08:01 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.