ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Code Clusters  (Read 20105 times)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Re: Code Clusters
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 12:06:57 PM »

... the only concern would be when the zip ties break, though likely the tree will grow around them. Trees don't grow "upwards" like most people think - essentially branches at the top grow together, but if you put a mark in the tree at 4 feet up (or it grows around a fence board, or whatnot), that will still be 4 feet off the ground 20 years from now.

I'm not saying what they did there was right, but EC&M's concern for the tree growing up and taking the box with it are unfounded.

True that.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 02:53:00 PM »

The picture below came from the State of Washington Labor & Industries (the department responsible for both workplace safety and electrical inspections in the State of Washington).

The company that posted the picture on Facebook said "this was used to energize an isolated circuit. A toddler pulled the energized male end out of the receptacle and stuck it in his mouth. Fortunately, the toddler survived a very dangerous electrical shock with minor burn."
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 03:17:04 PM »

The picture below came from the State of Washington Labor & Industries (the department responsible for both workplace safety and electrical inspections in the State of Washington).

The company that posted the picture on Facebook said "this was used to energize an isolated circuit. A toddler pulled the energized male end out of the receptacle and stuck it in his mouth. Fortunately, the toddler survived a very dangerous electrical shock with minor burn."

This makes me feel a little sick... :-[

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 04:25:23 PM »

This makes me feel a little sick... :-[

I just don't get why someone would ever think that is OK.....

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Doug Hammel

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 04:28:09 PM »

Good luck filing an insurance claim on that one. Never underestimate the stupidity of people!

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 04:32:13 PM »

I just don't get why someone would ever think that is OK.....

-Ray

Hey, there is a 50/50 chance that nobody will get hurt under the circumstances.  ::)!  Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 04:39:44 PM »

Good luck filing an insurance claim on that one. Never underestimate the stupidity of people!
Well, that would depend on who did it. If it was the owner/facility/whatever, then yeah, probably not going to fly with insurance. But if an electrical contractor did so (and presuming that they are properly licensed, etc) then you could certainly go after them.

None of this would, of course, preclude a lawsuit being filed by the parents of the toddler against everyone involved regardless of who is to blame!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 05:26:05 PM »

The answer to that question is a big, fat, "it depends."

First of all, there is the matter of the injury. If the toddler is covered under health insurance, that insurance will likely cover the cost of treatment. HOWEVER, the health insurance company is likely to seek recompensation from the responsible party or their insurance company. The responsible party's insurance may very well deny the claim, at which point the health insurance company will likely go after the responsible party themselves.

But that's just for direct compensation of the health insurance company's costs incurred in treatment of the injury. The parents of the toddler also will likely have a claim against the responsible party in the form of a lawsuit seeking remedial damages; the cost of those damages will be borne against the responsible party's liability insurance. Unless they have no insurance, in which case other assets may be up for grabs.

On the other hand, if a parent of the toddler is the responsible party, all bets are off. Their own insurance may still pay for the immediate medical care, but probably will deny any additional coverage and cancel the policy.

I am not a lawyer, but any time you have a liability involved, insurance is a very, very messy business that only lawyers seem to be able to untangle.

Bottom line: do it right the first time.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Lyle Williams

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 03:33:40 AM »

I see that after the accident someone was smart enough to plug it back in.  :-(

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 06:38:48 AM »

I see that after the accident someone was smart enough to plug it back in.  :-(

The sad thing is there must be many more thousands of dangerous wiring situations that have existed for years or even decades. While they seem to work, it only takes the right set of circumstances to set disaster in motion. I noticed something I'm sure is an electrical code violation at my local post office yesterday, but didn't say anything at the time. Think I'm going to take a picture of it next week and send it to our county inspectors. I'm sure it's been like that for decades, but it's not only potentially dangerous, it's also a bad example to the public since this is in plain view of customers at the main counter. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 06:38:48 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 26 queries.