ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: speakers and lighting in high school hallways  (Read 19239 times)

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
Re: speakers and lighting in high school hallways
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 11:48:03 AM »

I wouldn't even waste money on a packaged speaker for something like this unless you have a lot of money. And the 24CT? what kind of low end levels do you think you will get? They are great for background/moderate foreground but not without subs and a crossover for what you want. I really think you are over thinking this. I would just go old school and use 8" speaker/transformer/ceiling baffle combos with a decent sized backbox. Space them every 12' right down the middle of the hallway. Use a quality speaker (actually look at the specs) and transformer and they will sound better than the 24CTs at a higher level and at a lower cost.

-Hal

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 11:56:18 AM »

These things are literally made for mounting on the wall or from the ceiling in hallways. It is dual sided and aims a loudspeaker down the hallway in each direction.

Atlas Sound 510-4

I would not put them up in the middle of the hallway or they would become a target for students to slap with their hands. I would mount them either from the ceiling or wall in the corner where the wall meets the ceiling.

The loudspeakers that go in these things are not made to make music sound good, they are made to make speech intelligible. You may want to install some 70V subwoofers along with these.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 12:52:30 PM »

These things are literally made for mounting on the wall or from the ceiling in hallways. It is dual sided and aims a loudspeaker down the hallway in each direction.

Atlas Sound 510-4

I remember those from the sixties.  ;D Don't think they would fit in with the "forward thinking" spec of this project.

-Hal

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 03:48:45 PM »

To be a bit of a curmudgeon, this sounds like are "Really Bad Fucking Idea."

Any system that gets loud enough to be heard over changing period kids will also be loud enough to mask any audible alarm or voice warning system.  I submit for that reason alone this project be reconsidered.

It also sounds like a private school with more money than sense.  Any public school principal that wanted this would be sacked for wasting funds that should go into the classroom.  Is it really necessary to entertain children for 5 minutes?

I agree with Tim on all points.

The fire alarm alone should stop you unless you build in a relay logic to drop audio when the alarm sounds.  Fire alarm annunciators must get to a
Certain dB level over ambient noise.  When you raise the ambient noise floor with music, then the alarm will have to be louder, however at some point you are just making peoples ears bleed so the code solution, at least in my AHJ, is that sound systems must stop passing audio at the moment the alarm sounds.  We have this in every theater, bar, music venue, and yes school, in town.  Some places have logic inputs to dsp modules, some have shunt trip breakers on the electrical supplies.  To do otherwise would out you and your company at risk of liability if an alarm went off and people didn't evacuate because they couldn't 'hear it'. Even if they could eat it you have interfered with the code required level of function of the alarm and thus open yourself to a lot of liability. 

Kyle Malenfant

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 05:39:56 PM »

I agree with Tim on all points.

The fire alarm alone should stop you unless you build in a relay logic to drop audio when the alarm sounds.  Fire alarm annunciators must get to a
Certain dB level over ambient noise.  When you raise the ambient noise floor with music, then the alarm will have to be louder, however at some point you are just making peoples ears bleed so the code solution, at least in my AHJ, is that sound systems must stop passing audio at the moment the alarm sounds.  We have this in every theater, bar, music venue, and yes school, in town.  Some places have logic inputs to dsp modules, some have shunt trip breakers on the electrical supplies.  To do otherwise would out you and your company at risk of liability if an alarm went off and people didn't evacuate because they couldn't 'hear it'. Even if they could eat it you have interfered with the code required level of function of the alarm and thus open yourself to a lot of liability.

This great Cailen, thanks.  What interface do you recommend I look at to achieve the ducking of the music?

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 05:43:27 PM »

Well - we use biamp products in most of our venues, but an audia with a logic box might be overkill.  Some other people might have better suggestions. 

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 06:14:44 PM »

I remember those from the sixties.  ;D Don't think they would fit in with the "forward thinking" spec of this project.

-Hal

Awww... come on Hal!

Those things are awesomely retro!

More importantly, they do exactly what the OP was looking for, and you can load them up with 70V loudspeakers.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »

The intention is to liven up the mood of the school, and help project it is as forward thinking and such.  The music should be played at a volume loud enough to hear, but not to overpower the halls in any way.

That being said, right now I'm looking at the Control 24 CT..the 130 degree pattern is appealing.
I will ask again-who chooses the music?  Not everybody likes all kinds of music.

There is one style (and other "effects") that any song that even starts to have it is like nails on a chaulkboard to me.

THat would not "liven me up", but rather make me MAD that I had no choice but to hear it.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Kyle Malenfant

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 07:34:27 PM »

I will ask again-who chooses the music?  Not everybody likes all kinds of music.

There is one style (and other "effects") that any song that even starts to have it is like nails on a chaulkboard to me.

THat would not "liven me up", but rather make me MAD that I had no choice but to hear it.

Agreed. All due respect to your point, that for the principal and powers that be to manage.

All of the recommended points are great for me to consider. Addin in subwoofers is a great too..how would they be arrayed in such a narrow hallway?  One per X amount of mid/highs?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 09:09:12 PM »

Agreed. All due respect to your point, that for the principal and powers that be to manage.

All of the recommended points are great for me to consider. Addin in subwoofers is a great too..how would they be arrayed in such a narrow hallway?  One per X amount of mid/highs?

I'll pass personal judgment here.  I think this is one of the stupidest ideas I've heard in ages, and I say that as a person who's degree program was in education.  The is the kind of horse hockey that is usually reserved for football team..

When I work with schools, public and even many private ones, there ain't enough money to pay for batteries for wireless mics, let alone rent the RF.  Here we're talking about playing music and doing some kind of lighting "happy dance" when what we want are the kids to get their books and supplies and their bodies into the class room.  Does this school have money to shovel around?  If so, they can stop this nonsense and send it USD #259, Wichita Kansas.  Our students and teachers would be incredibly grateful to have new sheet music in our vocal music classes, new gel for the next play or musical, or muslin to build more flats.

Do they want moonbeams and rainbows installed, too? ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 09:09:12 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.