ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ¿pin config: mixWiz 16:2dx  (Read 4137 times)

Earl F Young

¿pin config: mixWiz 16:2dx
« on: January 06, 2014, 12:31:21 PM »

Cannot find an exact answer/ figure out the schematic after what just happened and its got me thinkin;
Using my standard iPod cable ( 1/8" trs to dual xlrM without pins 1 to any two channels,  my iPadMINI stopped outputting on left & was distorted on right side (@ any volume.) Additionally, even with the headphone jack empty, no sound would migrate back to local onboard speakers.
Btw, global phantom was on.
Tried 2pair of headphones, they distorted (so I know a&h pres are ok after also trying a 58) and problem was some sort of shorting on Apple's end. Yes i called and have gotten a tradeout of apple device. ¡Nice folk!

Before attempting to duplicate this problem,  my thought is that phantom is not on pin1 and that may have taken things down on trs pin2 (tip)
http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/wz16-2dx-12-2dx/

Anyone  got opinion(s).. ?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: ¿pin config: mixWiz 16:2dx
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 12:40:54 PM »

Get out your voltmeter and check mixer inputs for DC voltage between pins 2 & 3.  You should see none.  You should see 48vDC (or whatever the mixwiz phantom voltage is) between pins 1 & 2 and between pins 1 & 3.  Nowhere else.

Is there any other way your adapter could get a ground reference from the mixer?  Metal barrel of an XLR tied to pin 1?  Or perhaps a metal barrel on the 3.5mm TRS touching the mixer or another connector?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Earl F Young

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 02:04:33 PM »

0vDC between pins 2 & 3. 45.2-45.4vDC across pins 1/2 and pins 1/3 -so close enough.
  Tim, iPad was not on a charger. No way the adapter _cable_ got a ground reference from mixer. no metal barrels in use; tested good (soldered) cord/ no extention(s) inline.

You got me curious about *this though; can you elaborate?

I have used this cable so many times (successfully) and it is well made & properly wired. Belkin manufactured trs to Neutrik xlrM ends... Heat shrunk closed xlrM connectors and factory common ground. See my earlier post; I think you were the one who warned me against pin1 to ground  :)
    Thanks again for any other further thoughts!

Get out your voltmeter and check mixer inputs for DC voltage between pins 2 & 3.  You should see none.  You should see 48vDC (or whatever the mixwiz phantom voltage is) between pins 1 & 2 and between pins 1 & 3.  Nowhere else.

Is there any other way your adapter could get a ground reference from the mixer?  Metal barrel of an XLR tied to pin 1?  Or perhaps a metal barrel* on the 3.5mm TRS touching the mixer or another connector?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 02:11:08 PM »

0vDC between pins 2 & 3. 45.2-45.4vDC across pins 1/2 and pins 1/3 -so close enough.
  Tim, iPad was not on a charger. No way the adapter _cable_ got a ground reference from mixer. no metal barrels in use; tested good (soldered) cord/ no extention(s) inline.

You got me curious about *this though; can you elaborate?

I have used this cable so many times (successfully) and it is well made & properly wired. Belkin manufactured trs to Neutrik xlrM ends... Heat shrunk closed xlrM connectors and factory common ground. See my earlier post; I think you were the one who warned me against pin1 to ground  :)
    Thanks again for any other further thoughts!

If the 3.5mm connector has a metal 'barrel' or handle or whatever you want to call the thing that screws on to cover the solder connections... it is part of the sleeve (ground).  If this touches the case of the mixer or a connector that has the mixer's ground reference, you will have a complete path for phantom power.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Earl F Young

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 01:01:49 AM »

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,141997.msg1314328.html#msg1314328

If the 3.5mm connector has a metal 'barrel' or handle or whatever you want to call the thing that screws on to cover the solder connections... it is part of the sleeve (ground).

Travis_Valois

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 10:25:26 PM »

Was there anything else plugged into any of the mixer's input XLRs that may have had pin 1 and pin 3 tied together?

Earl F Young

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 12:03:32 AM »

Nope..  :( unfortunately not..
Was there anything else plugged into any of the mixer's input XLRs that may have had pin 1 and pin 3 tied together?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 12:03:32 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.