ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Driverack PA+  (Read 11016 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Driverack PA+
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 07:43:57 PM »

Depending on the system-I like to have 4-8 hours.  But some are done in 30 minutes.

Considering the OP and the statement that this is to be done with a "32 band EQ and pink noise", I think 30 minutes is plenty.  The other 2.5 hours could be spent trying to find the 32nd band on the EQ...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 07:53:32 PM »

I used the Smaart with the Studiolive board once or twice last year.  Takes 3 to 5 min.

You probably got out of it about what you put in. This thread is about a permanent install, where much more time and care is taken in setting DSP parameters than in a typical short term portable or touring system. I don't think 3 or 4 hours is unreasonable, and maybe even a couple of days in a complex system (this one is not). If all you are going to do is set a mic in 1 position, get a trace of a magnitude response, and then eq till you think it looks right, it won't take long, and it won't accomplish much.

Taking many measurements to try to determine exactly what is causing various problems, and figuring out how to fix them is what takes time and give you good results. It may take more than a few attempts to arrive at a result that you are happy with in all locations in the venue.

Unfortunately for the OP, his speaker system appears to be so wrong that no amount of DSP will help much. He needs to start with designing a speaker installation that will give good coverage without overlap or splashing all over the wall. The three 90º wide speakers splayed next to each other currently installed are probably most of the problem.

Mac
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 08:46:16 PM by Mac Kerr »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 08:40:04 PM »

As 98% as the time pink noise in the venues would get me yelled at if not ejected i don't have to worry about it.

I used the Smaart with the Studiolive board once or twice last year.  Takes 3 to 5 min. 

Mac is correct-this is in regards to an installed system where you have much more time and the customer is a lot pickier about the final results-as people will be listening to the same system year after year.

I always request a QUIET room-so I don't have to run the noise at a high level-just enough to get above the noise floor good.

3-5 minutes cannot begin to give you an idea of how the system is performing in all the seats.

You may or may not be able to do anything about it-but it is a good idea to have an idea where the problems may be.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 09:38:24 PM »

3-5 minutes cannot begin to give you an idea of how the system is performing in all the seats.

Just to keep things clear to the OP, the time spent on optimizing the system AS IS can be a little or a lot, but the bottom line is that it's pretty much time wasted without addressing the basic problem of a very bad design.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 10:22:27 PM »

If you have a three speaker setup, this may be of interest: http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/soundsystems/bridgemode.cfm

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 07:42:42 AM »

If you have a three speaker setup, this may be of interest: http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/soundsystems/bridgemode.cfm
But we (at least me) are still unclear on whether there is ONE or TWO channels involved in actually powering the speakers.  It has been said "mono" but what does that mean?   

Bridging was "suggested" in the previous thread-but how is it ACTUALLY wired up?

To me THAT is the first thing that needs to be looked at-not jumping in with a eq and hoping to fix things.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 09:47:45 AM »

But we (at least me) are still unclear on whether there is ONE or TWO channels involved in actually powering the speakers.  It has been said "mono" but what does that mean?   

Bridging was "suggested" in the previous thread-but how is it ACTUALLY wired up?

To me THAT is the first thing that needs to be looked at-not jumping in with a eq and hoping to fix things.

ivan...

OP implies that all three are on one channel.  I know this is not really solid information ( coming from his other thread ) but getting any info at all in this or the other thread is just not happening.  When this thread appeared it was a jump overboard from his other thread, leaping to the assumption that some kind of EQ would help things even though he had been told not.

He opened this thread and has not participated since.  His other thread is dead.  I think that being told that the whole thing (as far as him limited info would indicate) needs to be redone before any progress can be made has bummed him into non-participation.

I'd probably feel the same.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 01:27:09 PM »

He opened this thread and has not participated since.  His other thread is dead.  I think that being told that the whole thing (as far as him limited info would indicate) needs to be redone before any progress can be made has bummed him into non-participation.

I'd probably feel the same.
The idea of thinking that something "automatic" will somehow fix a physically wrong situation is very wishful thinking.  Yes it may make it a little bit better (but we don't really know what it is now), but can also makes some things worse.

Sometimes the truth hurts-that is the way it is.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 01:27:09 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.