ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: it seems earbuds are overpriced  (Read 10008 times)

David Parker

it seems earbuds are overpriced
« on: January 03, 2014, 04:07:45 PM »

maybe this is a start of some more realistic pricing. I'm sure these don't compare to top of the line buds, but maybe it's a start of the price coming down for quality buds. Seriously, $500 for buds just seems out of line.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/shure_introduces_new_entry-level_se112_sound_isolating_earphones/

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: it seems earbuds are overpriced
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 04:09:25 PM »

maybe this is a start of some more realistic pricing. I'm sure these don't compare to top of the line buds, but maybe it's a start of the price coming down for quality buds. Seriously, $500 for buds just seems out of line.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/shure_introduces_new_entry-level_se112_sound_isolating_earphones/

MAP is $49.  Seems resonable.  I just spent $400 on a set, and I am glad that I did. It is worth it to me.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 04:20:26 PM »

They are not very easy to make. Nano technology gets expensive. Just try fitting a 3-way speaker system in something that fits in your ear.  :o

David Parker

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 04:51:45 PM »

They are not very easy to make. Nano technology gets expensive. Just try fitting a 3-way speaker system in something that fits in your ear.  :o
that's what we said when my dad brought a transistor radio home well over 50 years ago. I would fit in your pocket. As opposed to the 4' tall tube monstrosity we had.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 04:55:28 PM »

shure is trying to own this market and doing a pretty good job of it.  their Se215 has become my go to universal IEM, and at 100 bucks it's a real bargain.  this new unit eliminates the swappable cable and a few other little features to hit an even lower price point.  nothing wrong with that.

Now, as for me i use 650 dollar AlClair quad driver customs because my ears are worth every penny.  but that's not the answer to everybody's need....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Scott Bolt

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 12:47:05 PM »

shure is trying to own this market and doing a pretty good job of it.  their Se215 has become my go to universal IEM, and at 100 bucks it's a real bargain.  this new unit eliminates the swappable cable and a few other little features to hit an even lower price point.  nothing wrong with that.

Now, as for me i use 650 dollar AlClair quad driver customs because my ears are worth every penny.  but that's not the answer to everybody's need....
+1.

Another SE215 user here.  For performing live, there is nothing out there that compares to these buds at anywhere near the price.

Are these new buds using the SE215 driver?  If so, I might pick up a pair just for listening to stuff on my iPhone or computer!

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 03:21:17 PM »

+1.

Another SE215 user here.  For performing live, there is nothing out there that compares to these buds at anywhere near the price.

Are these new buds using the SE215 driver?  If so, I might pick up a pair just for listening to stuff on my iPhone or computer!
I have to admit I've been pretty impressed with these Panasonic In-Ear Earphones while I doubt they compare very well to the Shure's mentioned above for $6 they're a steal for iPod/phone/computer listening. I've had many $20-30(Skullcandy, Sennheiser, Sony, etc...) earbuds and these are as good or better than any of them I've had.

Luke Robinson

• audio gods
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 04:31:33 PM »

I have to admit I've been pretty impressed with these Panasonic In-Ear Earphones while I doubt they compare very well to the Shure's mentioned above for $6 they're a steal for iPod/phone/computer listening. I've had many $20-30(Skullcandy, Sennheiser, Sony, etc...) earbuds and these are as good or better than any of them I've had.

+1 on the panasonic

I am a Future sonics guy, and have probably made custom molds for almost 100 musicians by now with to go with their Atrio buds...

I was trying to find something that I could keep in the rack drawer in case a musician's buds break / get stepped on, or they forget them but I did not want to spend much so I did as I do things often and read the customer reviews on amazon, and decided to try out a $8 pair and a $19 pair of Panasonic. They both sound pretty damn good, with the more expensive pair edging out the cheaper. I though they were better than some of the lower end Shures.
I would have no problem recommending them to anyone that is looking for something a bit cheaper to get the job done.

luke

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 05:09:40 PM »

Has anyone looked at Koss headphones lately, 

I have been using this pair for around $15.00 

http://www.koss.com/en/products/headphones/earbuds/PLUG__Plug_In-Ear_Headphone

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 11:21:35 PM »

Has anyone looked at Koss headphones lately, 

I have been using this pair for around $15.00 

http://www.koss.com/en/products/headphones/earbuds/PLUG__Plug_In-Ear_Headphone

I had some of the original Plugs some years back.  Typical scooped response, like a cheaper 7506 (but with much better isolation).

Oscar Castro

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 10:04:14 PM »

How about this from monoprice?  I bough a few to try them, but my kids don't let me use them :)

Here is the link. http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&format=2&p_id=8320&CAWELAID=1329456792&catargetid=320013720000010635&cadevice=t&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CPSRqJOR9bsCFQISMwodMVwAJQ

Thad Kraus

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 01:37:51 PM »

Anyone get their hands on the new set of Shure's SE846's? I thought Shure's 535's were insanely priced, but those come close to breaking the bank. Are they worth the price? Personally I have the 215's and are happy with them, but it makes me wonder how much better the 846's are.

David Parker

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 02:07:54 PM »

Anyone get their hands on the new set of Shure's SE846's? I thought Shure's 535's were insanely priced, but those come close to breaking the bank. Are they worth the price? Personally I have the 215's and are happy with them, but it makes me wonder how much better the 846's are.
every band I know of that successfully made the transition to in ears had to upgrade from the 215 buds. I used the 215 buds leading worship for years and got along just fine with them, but I wasn't on a loud stage. One interesting thing you'll find if you check the specs, as the price goes up on shure buds, so does the efficiency. So the more expensive buds go louder before engaging the limiter. I'm sure the extra clarity of dual or triple drivers makes a difference too, but the ability to make them louder also is interesting.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 05:33:52 PM »

Am I the only person around here who mixes monitors and feels that there is almost no such thing as too high a price for an appliance that is engineered to insert into an orifice of your body?  The two orifices that allow you to do your work, feed your family, and not be eaten by other predators in the dark?

Really?

Just sayin'...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 05:36:18 PM by Jason Glass »

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 06:32:46 PM »

Am I the only person around here who mixes monitors and feels that there is almost no such thing as too high a price for an appliance that is engineered to insert into an orifice of your body?  The two orifices that allow you to do your work, feed your family, and not be eaten by other predators in the dark?

Really?

Just sayin'...

Could not agree more. I was using Shure E5s for a very long time until I went to the doctor for a routine examination and the doctor told me that I had severe inflammation in both ear canals. I've been on customs ever since.  And the best ones I can afford.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 06:50:25 PM »

Really?

Just sayin'...

x2, sort of.

There is a point where you step back and say "Really…?" when it comes to cost (and I've only seen a few sets like that), but what I can't seem to impress on folks that are moving into the IEM world is that isolation is key - which means custom molds.  Some of these generics are approaching, if not exceeding the cost of custom buds, and still can't offer the seal/isolation that custom molds will do.  Granted, you can get molds for some of the higher end generics, but regardless of your preference it is worth the expense.  And while the custom molds often require a trip to the audiologist - hey, why not get a hearing exam while you're there?

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 07:54:30 PM »

The way I see it is that there is a place for everything. If I needed GOOD earphones/IEMs for my job or to make money doing sound stuff(say mixing monitors like Jason) I'd be getting the best ones I could afford. Right now my earphones are for casual listening and what I spend on them reflects that. I definitely think that generics that cost as much of more than customs don't make a lot of sense.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running CNA 4.4 KitKat using Tapatalk Pro

Per Sovik

• Sogn, Norway, Europe
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 08:36:10 PM »

I guess I could comment on plastic and silicon devices designed to insert into orifices in general, but to narrow it down to what we put into our ears, the most important thing must be to get a good mould by somebody that is really good at it, and that has a price that is fairly established in the market.

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 09:33:02 AM »

Really?

Just sayin'...
+1
I look at it as a percentage of what my iems cost versus what I make using them. They are not very expensive at all.

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 08:44:23 PM »

I had a pair of the 535s, they were ok for the time. Upgraded to the JH Audio JH13Pro about 2 years ago and haven't looked back.

I had a chance to demo the 846 a couple weeks ago, they sounded good, but I have never been a fan of the low end in Shure IEMs. Also, If you are going to dump $1k on IEMs I would definitely get them molded.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 08:46:20 PM »

+1
I look at it as a percentage of what my iems cost versus what I make using them. They are not very expensive at all.

+2, I was in the same boat, mixed monitors with Shure 535s for years, finally decided to bite the bullet and got some JHPro13 and never looked back. Biggest mistake was not getting a "pro" set of ears sooner.

If this is something you are doing for a living it is a very small price to pay.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Roland Clarke

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 05:35:57 PM »

How about this from monoprice?  I bough a few to try them, but my kids don't let me use them :)

Here is the link. http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&format=2&p_id=8320&CAWELAID=1329456792&catargetid=320013720000010635&cadevice=t&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CPSRqJOR9bsCFQISMwodMVwAJQ

I bought both these and the Panasonic 120's as an experiment.  I have a client that uses ears for a Samba band and often there are always people that turn up without their own ears and we need some.  Whilst I would agree with the post below that a decent investment in custom ear buds is money well spent, the Panasonic and Monoprice are usable as semi-disposable standby's.  Having tried both, I would say that the Panasonic's are marginally more comfortable, however, the Monoprice have a more balanced sound with a surprising amount of detail, amazing considering the price.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 05:35:57 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 22 queries.