ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Quad PA  (Read 14435 times)

Al Schatz

Quad PA
« on: January 03, 2014, 03:59:15 PM »

hello all,

im new to the forum. I'm touring FOH for an electronic musician. we're in the preproduction phase of a tour and were talking about renting raw space and bringing in our own PA. we're talking about doing the PA in Quad with the performers in the center. maybe 1000-2000 people. I've been searching the web for advice but haven't found much. Does anyone have any advice on things to keep in mind?

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Quad PA
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 04:50:43 PM »

we're in the preproduction phase of a tour and were talking about renting raw space and bringing in our own PA. we're talking about doing the PA in Quad with the performers in the center. maybe 1000-2000 people.
If the performers are in the center and the quad PA in the corners of the room, the delay will be problematic for them, and generally won't be very coherent for most of the audience

If the quad PA is at the corners of a stage (or flown in the round) it won't be effective effect wise for the audience.

Stereo is hard enough to implement to effectively cover large areas, quad is almost impossible, other than for use as ambient effects, as used in movie theaters with L/R/C, side and rear locations.

Anyway, good luck- quad probably quadruples the audio workload as well as a large increase in hardware cost.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 04:52:27 PM »

hello all,

im new to the forum. I'm touring FOH for an electronic musician. we're in the preproduction phase of a tour and were talking about renting raw space and bringing in our own PA. we're talking about doing the PA in Quad with the performers in the center. maybe 1000-2000 people. I've been searching the web for advice but haven't found much. Does anyone have any advice on things to keep in mind?

Get your money up front...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Penkala

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 05:05:18 PM »

hello all,

Check your coverage predictions. You may find you need more PA ($) than you think. The last "in the round tour" I did we needed 6 points for PA.
Additionally, venues that small may not be designed to do a show "in the round" i.e. no points etc.
Your costs for labor ($) will at least double

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »

Do you actually need quad?  i.e. the ability to move sound around the room (as used to great effect by Pink Floyd in their live shows) or do you just want all around sound?

Steve.

Evan Hunter

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 05:52:12 PM »

hello all,

for 1000-2000 people I doubt its worth the time and effort to do a quad PA. You would probably get better results with less gear and less setup/teardown time with a more standard LRC PA.
Evan F. Hunter
Cleveland Ohio, Houston Texas
EFHunter4419 (at) G Mail. Com
https://www.facebook.com/FosterSound
EV QRX, JBL SRX, Turbosound Milan, Soundcraft Expression, Soundcraft Vi1

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 05:55:35 PM »

My guess is it would take 8 mains at the stage alternating LF/RF  and 8 rears at the perimeter alternating LR/RR to implement quadrophonic sound in the round.

1/2 the audience would get a mirror image or reversed left right.

Costs for equipment and setup will be much larger then a more traditional approach.   The "sweet spots" will be limited to seats that are approximately equidistant ti the 4 nearest speakers.

Bleed from the  far rear speakers facing any part of the audience may  turn your hoped for audio experience into an audio nightmare.

Al Schatz

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 06:19:12 PM »

Do you actually need quad?  i.e. the ability to move sound around the room (as used to great effect by Pink Floyd in their live shows) or do you just want all around sound?

Steve.

its actually both. the show will consist of a few sections and one will be more experimental with with pieces written for quad another section will be dance oriented and require even bass distribution around the room.

i saw setups like this at a few festivals last summer at stages that were meant for electronic music only and we were inspired.

Al Schatz

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 06:30:41 PM »

the festival i saw this at was outside of berlin last summer called Melt festival. they had 4 of these as mains in quad formation

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 06:49:33 PM »

Quad-especially with the performers in the middle is going to be pretty bad for most people.

But it depends on what you are "going for".  If it is sound quality-then it will probably be a big bunch of "mush"

If sound quality doesn't matter and you simply want to "surround" people with sound and the "experience" is what is most important then you may be fine.

Just remember that the more points of sound-the lower the quality will be.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 06:49:33 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.