ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice sought....  (Read 10854 times)

Steve Oldridge

Advice sought....
« on: December 31, 2013, 05:04:53 PM »

Been quite a while since I posted here, mostly because I went to the dark side..  FOH to the stage, and not doing much FOH work these days.. economy and cheap gear has pretty much killed the independent in my neck of the woods.. that said..

I still have the soundguy bug in me. Case in point.. current band 5-piece, mix from stage. Leader owns PA. OK system for clubs, etc.  Passive JBL 5 series - tops/subs, Crown/QSC amps, DRPX, topped off with a Mackie 1604VLZ mixer. No soundguy.

Band is looking to go IEM early 2014 ($$) but 1604 only has 4 AUX feeds, so I offered him (the band) use of either of my (idle) Mixwiz 16 or Presonus 16.4.2 consoles. His response was "Oh.. No! I've NOT heard good things about the Presonus live. OK for recording tho'"...  and that was end of discussion. Topic was quickly changed.

So how does one address this lack of knowledge... I'm not a "weekend warrior" but I would rank BOTH of those consoles as way-better-than the 1604VLZ.

How does one go about addressing this, or should I just drop it?? 

Thing is, I'M in the band.. and I'M impacted by this decision. I was leader in my last band, and in this one (as I said I wold do at some point) I just shut up and play.

Thoughts?

hmmm.. noted than my post count has reverted back to one..
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 06:05:41 PM by Steve Oldridge »

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
Re: Advice sought....
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 06:16:55 PM »

So are we to presume that 4 auxes isn't enough?  A shop near me is not impressed with the Presonus boards either because too many come in for repair.  These are the non-AI models.  Maybe he's heard similar stories.  What did he say about using the Mixwiz board?

Cosmo

• SR Forums
  • Northern Colorado, USA
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 07:27:21 PM »

I would push for the MixWiz.  It would be a natural step for him (if he is running it) since it is also analog and most of the functions would be familiar.  You can do 5 mono IEM mixes and have one aux left for effects.

You did not say anything about outboard gear, but I'm guessing it is minimal.  If not, that would be a good reason to push the Presonus, but would require some more learnin' on his part.

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.  - H.D. Thoreau

Lyle Williams

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 08:01:25 PM »

All analogue boards are easy for everyone to use.  You just look at the board and can see the whole system state and capabilities.

Menu driven digital systems are only good for people who use them a lot.

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 09:00:36 PM »

So are we to presume that 4 auxes isn't enough?  A shop near me is not impressed with the Presonus boards either because too many come in for repair.  These are the non-AI models.  Maybe he's heard similar stories.  What did he say about using the Mixwiz board?
Yes, 4 is not enough.. There's five of us.
He shops at GC quite a bit and I know I've had no issues with my 16.4.2 in the year or so I've had it.
There was no response on the Mixwiz.

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 09:05:45 PM »

All analogue boards are easy for everyone to use.  You just look at the board and can see the whole system state and capabilities.

Menu driven digital systems are only good for people who use them a lot.
In general I would agree.. however, running the Presonus is not hard at all.. it's very simple.. It doesn't have menu and layout layers like many digital consoles, tho' it does have them to save/recall scenes and effects... .
I'm an old time analog guy - still own a couple of A&H analog consoles - and I moved to the 16.4.2 with no problems at all.. it's analog by design, but digital in use and flexibility. don't have to dive thru layers of screen to get to a compressor setting...

Lyle Williams

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 09:26:17 PM »

The vlz is doing the job now, so he probably sees no need to change.  Get the IEMs, then get him to share a mix with someone.  :-)

Anither option would be to not go completely over to IEMs. 

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 09:55:52 PM »

The vlz is doing the job now, so he probably sees no need to change.  Get the IEMs, then get him to share a mix with someone.  :-)

Anither option would be to not go completely over to IEMs.
I think you are right.. the VLZ will not handle the IEM mix along with effects processing, so we are going to have to revisit that once we actually move to IEM's. Yes, another option would be to not go completely IEM, but I'm guessing that all prefer to go that route.

Thanks for the feedback.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 10:03:33 PM »

I think you are right.. the VLZ will not handle the IEM mix along with effects processing, so we are going to have to revisit that once we actually move to IEM's. Yes, another option would be to not go completely IEM, but I'm guessing that all prefer to go that route.

Thanks for the feedback.

Split the inputs and the duties:  continue to use the VLZ as now, use the Wiz for the IEM's. 
If you don't want to invest in splits, the Wiz should have direct outs so you could just use a TRS > TRS patch snake between desks.

Me?  I'd just use the SLive.  Any reasonable person should at least be willing to give it a try.  If not, s**** it.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 10:22:54 AM »

So how does one address this lack of knowledge...

After the Zombie invasion when the planet is nearly overrun the last man is using a sonic weapon to keep the invaders at bay when it suddenly fails.

One Zombie turns to the other and says: Ha Ha, he underpowered his speakers.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 12:29:28 PM by Tim Perry »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 10:22:54 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 24 queries.