ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: LED Lighting Power  (Read 24070 times)

Chris Clark

• Jack of many trades, Master of few.
Re: LED Lighting Power
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 08:48:05 AM »

With the incandescent being stopped from manufacture this year we will start seeing more of the LED. 

IIRC this current stage of the phaseout only applies to standard A-style tungsten up to 100W (or 150?), but I could be wrong. I think it is based on lumens per watt or something along those lines. Either way I'm fairly certain it doesn't apply to halogen of any type yet or specialized lamps such as those pertaining to the theater and other industries yet so I don't think there's any "mandated" push in that aspect.

I don't think in the theater/show industry conversion right now even has as much to do with power or heat issues as it does the convenience of color mixing being the primary benefit to LDs, with the heat and power being a secondary benefit. Priorities vary throughout I'm sure, but I think the majority that are converting are looking at the mixing benefit first.
Technical Services Coordinator
Entertainment System Designer
Darien Lake Theme Park, Darien Center NY

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 09:45:17 AM »

I don't think in the theater/show industry conversion right now even has as much to do with power or heat issues as it does the convenience of color mixing being the primary benefit to LDs, with the heat and power being a secondary benefit. Priorities vary throughout I'm sure, but I think the majority that are converting are looking at the mixing benefit first.

I think you're probably correct. Not have to re-gel for different colors is great, plus a smaller number of lighting instruments could be used in the first place. However, I've been in a few television news studios where they embraced LED lighting very early. They told me the heat load reduction was huge, and they could spec lower HVAC air velocity. That's a big deal in television news studios since HVAC air noise is a real problem with all those lapel mics.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 09:57:57 AM »

The conversion argument is hard if not impossible to make unless it is a NEW facility or fixture purchase only because while there is cost savings many companies simply don't have the capital to invest even if they will realize a return later. 

However for some situations, the power isn't a factor as much as other benefits,  A local shop bought source 4 LEDs when they realized the ctb in a stock 575 s4 they used for tv wasn't as bright as the S4 led.  They also realized they could print their own gobos on transparency for corporate logos.  They bought 20.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 10:50:46 AM »

Another note worth mentioning is that Large Video walls of LED have caused some RF noise that has been a problem with wireless mic's.  There has been a few papers and articles written and published from the major Wireless mic providers for shows like the Gramy awards and such.  New products may start addressing this in the new designs.

Henry Cohen has addressed this several times in these forums, and IIRC his conclusion is that modern LED walls do not have the high RF noise that earlier ones did. They still are a big metal wall in front of your antennas though. The noise problem with them now is the cooling fans creating acoustic noise on stage.

Mac

Lyle Williams

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 03:26:34 PM »

I don't know about onstage, but in the outside world the lack of maintenance is a major financial driver for LED lighting.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2013, 03:33:52 PM »

We just did an install in our church and used tungsten instead of LED.  I think we will wish we had done differently-but it really came down to cash on hand and familiarity.  We rented some LED's about 8 months ago that were disappointing-probably cheap and the technology is moving crazy fast right now.  I also wonder if the fact that CFL's were "the answer" a few years ago and now people are waking up to the headache of mercury disposal isn't making people cautious to jumpon new technology.

Just did an outdoor lighting upgrade and had a ROI of around 12% just on fixtures installed cost vs energy saving.  When you factored in maintenance cost the numbers were really good.  Also, there may be utility rebates for LEDs if you look for them.

One caution I have been given is that LEDs have a fairly large start up inrush-so I have been told it is wise to size switchs/contactors to an equivalent tungsten load-typically 5-7 times the LED load.  Not sure how this affects LED PARs-also if LED PARs are "off" via DMX control there will still be standby load. Maybe not huge-but might be considerable compared to load if it is present 168 hours a week vs 10 to 12 for the load?  Just a thought to consider and maybe plan for.
Steve Swaffer

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2013, 03:39:08 PM »

One caution I have been given is that LEDs have a fairly large start up inrush

LEDs will be current limited, either with a simple series resistance or a more complex current limiter.  I can see no reason why an LED unit will have a start up inrush current.  Cold tungsten lights will though.

Steve.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2013, 03:48:14 PM »

The AC/DC power converters often have high inrush currents.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2013, 04:37:05 PM »

The AC/DC power converters often have high inrush currents.

If I can talk Chauvet out of a few LED fixtures I'll do an inrush peak current test just for grins. Of course, turning on a few at a time shouldn't be an issue. But I suppose that turning on 40 to 60 at a time on a single circuit (per Chauvet's recommendation) could draw some current spikes. However, considering these LED lights power up on OFF mode, perhaps there's not any serious peak currents.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2013, 04:44:40 PM »

Good point.  I wasn't thinking about the initial switching on of the lights units, just the LED switching whilst in use.

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2013, 04:44:40 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.