ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: LED Lighting Power  (Read 24004 times)

Kevin Hoober

• Brandon, MS
Re: LED Lighting Power
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2013, 05:48:11 PM »

I just did a little theater gig with a bunch of Chauvet SlimPAR-64 floodlights,

...Each of the light fixtures had a Euro power input with an Edison out, so you could daisy chain power from light-to-light.

...they were rated to daisy-chain 40 of these fixtures together on 120-volts, and up to 60 of them on 240-volts. Say what??? Did he say 240-volts?

I'm a bit intrigued with a fixture rated to 240 that has a 5-15 Edison for power loop thru--are these listed?

I enjoy the simplicity of Edison loop thru, but might an IEC loop thru be a better solution, in this application?

I guess the same issues occur with any wide-ranging power supply with a 'generic' (IEC, Powercon, etc.) detachable cord, and loop thru power.

Thoughts?

Kevin H.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2013, 06:44:08 PM »

I'm a bit intrigued with a fixture rated to 240 that has a 5-15 Edison for power loop thru--are these listed?

Here's a picture of the Chauvet SuperRGBA light which says it works on 120 or 230 volts. Has a  Euro input and an Edison output. My only worry is that if you use a 230/240 volt plug to power the first light in the string, all the rest of them will have 240-volts on a standard 120-volt Edison outlet.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2013, 11:31:52 AM »

Here is the back of something similar from their UK website.  I was expecting to see a pair of IEC connectors but they are using Neutriks instead.  This appears to be the standard on all of the range on the UK site.

Both three way and five way DMX on this one too.

Steve.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 11:35:37 AM by Steve M Smith »

Mike Sokol

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2013, 11:35:56 AM »

Here is the back of something similar from their UK website.  I was expecting to see a pair of IEC connectors but they are using Neutriks instead.  This appears to be the standard on all of the range on the UK site.

Both three way and five way DMX on this one too.

Steve.

The Neutrik PowerCons are really superior to any sort of Euro or Edison connector. Shame they're not available in the states.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2014, 01:01:11 PM »

Does anyone here (or just lurking) have a connection (US distributor or manufacturing level) with any of the LED theater lighting suppliers? I've been getting some requests to include LED stage lighting justification in my HOW-To Workshops for 2014, but it's best if I can work with a manufacturer or distributor directly to make sure everything is vetted properly. I just need an introduction rather than clawing my way up starting at the dealer level.

Please PM me with any info or contacts you can provide....

Thanks, Mike Sokol

James Feenstra

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2014, 09:01:08 AM »

Does anyone here (or just lurking) have a connection (US distributor or manufacturing level) with any of the LED theater lighting suppliers? I've been getting some requests to include LED stage lighting justification in my HOW-To Workshops for 2014, but it's best if I can work with a manufacturer or distributor directly to make sure everything is vetted properly. I just need an introduction rather than clawing my way up starting at the dealer level.

Please PM me with any info or contacts you can provide....

Thanks, Mike Sokol
I work for chroma-q (at the distribution level anyways, although the r+d department is located within 20' of my desk) :)

What kind of information are you looking for?

I believe there's someone that works with phillips lurking around these boards as well...
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Mike Sokol

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2014, 01:17:08 PM »

I work for chroma-q (at the distribution level anyways, although the r+d department is located within 20' of my desk) :)

What kind of information are you looking for?

I believe there's someone that works with phillips lurking around these boards as well...

Since I teach sound production workshops at churches and schools around the country, I've been getting questions about LED lighting. And while I'm learning a lot about the technology (power requirements, dimming, connecting, etc...) the big question is "How much will it cost, and how much will it save?". So I'm looking for any sort of spreadsheet or charts that will outline or calculate the ROI payback times for various LED upfit/installs. For instance, a brand new room should have a pretty quick ROI payback since LEDs will require a smaller HVAC unit, less power circuits, and distributed rather than centralized dimmers, not to mention the gel/color flexibility and reduced lamp maintenance. But older buildings with an operational tungsten lighting system will have a much longer ROI payback time for LED upgrades, especially when you consider that the existing lighting, wiring, and HVAC systems have already been paid for. However, you still need to consider reduced KWH costs and gel/lamp savings.

Finally, it would be great to get some LED lighting gear to demonstrate in my seminars. For instance, I plan to hook up an old-school spinning house meter with a bunch of different light technologies and dimmers plugged into it. Then my seminar attendees will be able to watch the power meter spin slower or faster using tungsten, CFL and LED bulbs of equivalent foot candles. I've found that dry charts and graphs are a hard sell to administration types who don't know or care about technology. But showing them a spinning power meter should get the point across pretty easily.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 01:23:37 PM by Mike Sokol »

Mike Sokol

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2014, 01:39:13 PM »

Here's one on eBay that would work, but it's $250 (Yikes)  :'(

But note that it's a 5-amp/120-volt KWH meter. I saw an old farmhouse once with a 30-amp/240-volt meter and thought that was really small. But the one in the picture was from the 1920s, so perhaps that was all the power you needed for a few lights back then. Or maybe this was installed on a light pole to meter power. All I know is I would have a hard time convincing my wife that this lamp was worth $250, and she would never let me put it in the living room. Still, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I think it's quite a beautiful lamp. Don't judge me...  ;)

Bill McKelvey

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2014, 03:51:34 PM »

Here's one on eBay that would work, but it's $250 (Yikes)  :'(

But note that it's a 5-amp/120-volt KWH meter. I saw an old farmhouse once with a 30-amp/240-volt meter and thought that was really small. But the one in the picture was from the 1920s, so perhaps that was all the power you needed for a few lights back then. Or maybe this was installed on a light pole to meter power. All I know is I would have a hard time convincing my wife that this lamp was worth $250, and she would never let me put it in the living room. Still, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I think it's quite a beautiful lamp. Don't judge me...  ;)

Sweet! I too would be shot if I brought this home.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2014, 04:13:59 PM »

...the big question is "How much will it cost, and how much will it save?". So I'm looking for any sort of spreadsheet or charts that will outline or calculate the ROI payback times for various LED upfit/installs. For instance, a brand new room should have a pretty quick ROI payback since LEDs will require a smaller HVAC unit, less power circuits, and distributed rather than centralized dimmers, not to mention the gel/color flexibility and reduced lamp maintenance...

Overall, I think there is a cost benefit to LEDs, and it certainly takes a 'big picture' view to fully understand it. But as for energy savings, I think there may be certain conditions where an equivalent luminosity sourced from LEDs may actually be less energy efficient than for incandescent. This is big-picture view that completely ignores the financial aspect, so bear with me.

Here are the conditions: residential installation, it's during heating season, and the home is equipped with a typical gas furnace that runs at 80% efficiency. (Newer furnaces are over 90%, but this house is 20 years old.)

Consider this: all of the energy used by lighting eventually decays into infrared energy which heats the room. A 60W incandescent provides about 205 BTU/hr of heating. A 9W LED (luminous equavalent to 60W incandescent) provides about 31 BTU/hr. That is 205 BTU/hr or 31 BTU/hr that the furnace does not need to provide -- that is, if you turn the lights off, the furnace must provide that energy to maintain the air temperature. Total energy used by the home remains the same, regardless of which lamp is used and whether it is on or off.

Now consider that the power plant generates electricity by burning natural gas at some higher efficiency, say 90%. (I don't know the efficiency of power plants, but I'm making a guess that larger power plants are able to operate more efficiently.) Considering line losses, the efficiency drops to 85% by the time it gets to the home.

This means that the heat provided by the lamps (incandescent or LED) in the home is more efficient -- uses less fuel for the same BTU/hr -- than the furnace. Since that's more efficient than the furnace, the more electric heat you can use, the less your overall energy footprint. Therefore, the incandescent bulb is more energy efficient than the LED, under the specified conditions.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2014, 04:13:59 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 19 queries.