ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding light rig to small sound rig  (Read 12287 times)

Stuart Pendleton

• Colonial Yorktown, VA
Re: Adding light rig to small sound rig
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 11:12:42 AM »

I invested a bit in lighting. I bought 35' of 12" box truss from Global. Then 6 ST90 and 2 ST132 crank stands from Global, as well as their truss adapters, T-bars, and O clamps. Added a Radiance hazer and then 8 Blizzard Q12a's for the front. Back truss had 4 Martin MX-4 scanners, 2 ADJ lasers, and three Martin Mini-Macs. Added 6 Martin CX-4's.  Added wireless DMX icicles from Blizzard. Control started with a Martin Freekie, moved on to Bluelight X1, and finally an Elation Show Designer 1.

After getting everything programmed, and working nicely, I was getting some  very nice comments from bands, clubs, patrons, etc. Everyone thought it was one of, if not THE, best light rigs used locally in clubs....and I managed to add only about $50-75 a night to my PA rates because the PA system was already enough costs that I almost out priced myself for the local market. However, I was getting the top rates of anyone in my market. I did manage to drive up the costs of renting rigs locally for most bands by 40% over the course of a few years. Lighting was a part of that rate increase.

Yes, it will get noticed. It will let you charge a bit more. It will get you some work you wouldn't otherwise get. It will also be a MAJOR time sink at load in/out for not a lot of cash-flow. After 7 years of growing and using this rig, I have now cut back to 2 ST90 stands and t-bars, 8 Q12a cans, one laser, Radiance hazer, and the Martin Freekie. I sold off the rest. Make no mistake I loved using it, it did make the clubs look amazing, it did set me apart, and did add far too much time to shows to be worth the effort in the end. But I did so love running the system....YMMV.

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 11:16:14 AM »

I invested a bit in lighting. I bought 35' of 12" box truss from Global. Then 6 ST90 and 2 ST132 crank stands from Global, as well as their truss adapters, T-bars, and O clamps. Added a Radiance hazer and then 8 Blizzard Q12a's for the front. Back truss had 4 Martin MX-4 scanners, 2 ADJ lasers, and three Martin Mini-Macs. Added 6 Martin CX-4's.  Added wireless DMX icicles from Blizzard. Control started with a Martin Freekie, moved on to Bluelight X1, and finally an Elation Show Designer 1.

After getting everything programmed, and working nicely, I was getting some  very nice comments from bands, clubs, patrons, etc. Everyone thought it was one of, if not THE, best light rigs used locally in clubs....and I managed to add only about $50-75 a night to my PA rates because the PA system was already enough costs that I almost out priced myself for the local market. However, I was getting the top rates of anyone in my market. I did manage to drive up the costs of renting rigs locally for most bands by 40% over the course of a few years. Lighting was a part of that rate increase.

Yes, it will get noticed. It will let you charge a bit more. It will get you some work you wouldn't otherwise get. It will also be a MAJOR time sink at load in/out for not a lot of cash-flow. After 7 years of growing and using this rig, I have now cut back to 2 ST90 stands and t-bars, 8 Q12a cans, one laser, Radiance hazer, and the Martin Freekie. I sold off the rest. Make no mistake I loved using it, it did make the clubs look amazing, it did set me apart, and did add far too much time to shows to be worth the effort in the end. But I did so love running the system....YMMV.

That's good to hear.  If I do end up doing something, more than likely it will be pre-wired and pre-set up as much as possible, to ease load in and load out. 
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

steve rakas

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 06:20:37 PM »

That's good to hear.  If I do end up doing something, more than likely it will be pre-wired and pre-set up as much as possible, to ease load in and load out.

I have a small lighting rig of led pars with a hazer i bought off ebay.  8 64s in the back and 4 (2 per side) in the front all on t-stands.  i have the cans pre-wired on the bars.  I zip tied a furman power strip onto each bar and have small 3 foot dmx cable wid in already.  All I do is attach each bar on the stans and connect ac and dmx to each bar then to my controller.  I picked up[ a chauvet obey 70 to run the show.  all said and done i think I only paid out about 1300 and charge an extra 100 per show for lighting added to a sound gig. 
Steve
Towson , MD

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 11:47:21 PM »

I have a small lighting rig of led pars with a hazer i bought off ebay.  8 64s in the back and 4 (2 per side) in the front all on t-stands.  i have the cans pre-wired on the bars.  I zip tied a furman power strip onto each bar and have small 3 foot dmx cable wid in already.  All I do is attach each bar on the stans and connect ac and dmx to each bar then to my controller.  I picked up[ a chauvet obey 70 to run the show.  all said and done i think I only paid out about 1300 and charge an extra 100 per show for lighting added to a sound gig.

I think that's the route I'm going to do.  Going to put 4 cans on a single bar, with a cup mount and brackets to hang from truss.  Right now I have 16 Fab5's but I think I'm going to sell them and switch to something a bit more durable and brighter, something like the ToughPAR's.  I'd also like to build a simple PAR56 rig, with 4 trees of cans front and back.  Something simple and easy to set up.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 10:49:55 AM »

I think that's the route I'm going to do.  Going to put 4 cans on a single bar, with a cup mount and brackets to hang from truss.  Right now I have 16 Fab5's but I think I'm going to sell them and switch to something a bit more durable and brighter, something like the ToughPAR's.  I'd also like to build a simple PAR56 rig, with 4 trees of cans front and back.  Something simple and easy to set up.

We have built 4-bars with power (we didn't use power strips, though), DMX in/out patched, C clamps to hang with, and a stand adapter.  We used 2" square aluminum tube.  It took about 4 hours per bar to build.  Remember to leave enough slack on the power and DMX cords to allow full 180° pan and tilt.

The bars transport on 6 or 9 slot meat racks that are just over 5' long, so it's a awkward truck pack.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Gow

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 05:55:22 PM »

We have built 4-bars with power (we didn't use power strips, though), DMX in/out patched, C clamps to hang with, and a stand adapter.  We used 2" square aluminum tube.  It took about 4 hours per bar to build.  Remember to leave enough slack on the power and DMX cords to allow full 180° pan and tilt.

The bars transport on 6 or 9 slot meat racks that are just over 5' long, so it's a awkward truck pack.

Pics?

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 10:50:19 PM »

If done correctly, lighting can be a profitable endeavor.  However, it can also end up being a huge waste of money and actually devalue your service.

A simple 4 par can on stand setup only costs a couple hundred dollars, and setup would only be a few minutes added to your time, so the value add of something small like that makes sense.  If you can get an extra $50 for that little effort it is worth it and can make you stand out from the guy that doesn't have access.

Now, on the flip side, if you're spending thousands on gear and adding a couple hours of time to setup and strike and not gaining any additional income from it, then why are you wasting your time and money?
Brian Jojade

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 08:01:56 AM »

I'm looking into getting into lighting a bit more than just some LED cans on a basic DMX set up. 

Here is an interesting combination sound and lighting DMX board.

SI Performer
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 08:01:56 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 23 queries.