ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding light rig to small sound rig  (Read 12316 times)

Mike Sullivan

Adding light rig to small sound rig
« on: December 25, 2013, 03:44:12 PM »

I'm looking into getting into lighting a bit more than just some LED cans on a basic DMX set up.  Has anyone yielded quite a benefit from adding things such as moving heads, haze, etc. to their rigs? Mine's nothing special (QSC KW153 over KW181's, most shows are a couple hundred at most, occasionally more) but I don't want to dive into a ton of money for movers and such if there isn't a great benefit.  Just looking to see what everyone else has done.  As far as renting (which I know will be mentioned) the nearest guy that does good stage lighting is about 3 hours away, so not much of a benefit unless it's a good paying show.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Jerome Malsack

Re: Adding light rig to small sound rig
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 05:02:25 PM »

From what I have seen and heard, the sound man adding lights normally gets little added for the show. 

Keep it basic and simple for most shows.  If you have some extra then go for it.   

Extra cable, DMX,   Power,  time to setup and strike,  Program to the show?  Troubleshooting,  bulbs burn out,
Insurance for the truss over the band? 

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 09:37:53 AM »

Two trees, used Show Designer (Ebay $200 or less), 2-3 LED pars (or 1 ADJ DOTZ Matrix) per side, a few cables and you're good.
http://www.venuesupply.com/detail/adj-american-dj-dotz-matrix-flood-high-output-cob-led-wash-blinder-with-smooth-color-mixing-powered-by-six-tri-cob-leds-5712

Adding rear movers, beam-type lights, etd, will require a smoke/haze machine, plus the extra expense and hassle. I would only do this if you can charge quite a bit more or you really want to do it for your own satisfaction.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Phillip McVea

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 06:59:46 PM »

As far as lights go, you got an incredible range and selection to choose from. moving heads(wash/beam/spot), strobes, scanners (which are most often easily overlooked if you're trying to create energetic light shows), beam bars, etc. literally so much to choose from. it basically all depends on what kind of show & atmosphere you're trying to create. you can influence an audience's emotions with lights just as much as music can.

you also have to consider the kind of market these lights would be shining on. if your playing to an audience full of 20-somethings, lasers, strobes, fog bursts, etc can really put the show on a new level, regardless of the audience size. but if you're just paying folk music to a bunch of senior citizens, i don't think your investment would go as far.

First off you'll need something to get the beams to show up in. I always use haze (the antari hz-300 never lets me down) because it's thin, most of the time is easy to breathe in, and can dissipate through a combination of most ventilation systems & open windows, doors etc. when the show is over. If you're doing small indoor shows and want to add dramatic, sudden effect, chauvet makes great fog machines w/ built in LEDs to light up the cloud. They're called the Geyser & Geyser Jr. (i've only seen the Geyser in person a few times, GREAT effect, tall fog bursts for its size. going to pick up the geyser jr. whenever it's released. decent price point too).

if you're REALLY wanting to pack a punch, there's a US based company called X-Laser, which makes fantastic laser scanners. I personally own the Mobile Beat MK5. WONDERFUL!!!! Tight sharp beams, and it's actually kinda quiet too. makes smooth animations if you don't make them too complex. only 15K stepper motors though, so it can't go ~above & beyond~. You'll need a laser variance, which they make pretty easy to get (it's called the EZ Variance Kit), considering if you went and applied for it directly with the FDA it could take waaaayy longer. X-Laser also makes models of all sizes (from filling a living room to a convention center arena). My next purchase from them will be the SkyWriter Chroma Mini, which has AUDIENCE SCANNING!!!! I cannot tell you how happy i am to finally get my hands on this. Look for something called Polaris if you're interested, although it's not available on all models, as it can't work on pulsed lasers, only continuous beams i believe.

If you're interested in lasers, some other good companies are LumaLaser, BSL, and Lasertainment, although i've never (knowingly) seen any of these models in person.

if you can get LED lights that fit the need, DO IT!!! I cannot tell you how great it is to have control over your power draw. being able to directly dim/brighten the light source as opposed to having a fire-hot lamp constantly sucking up energy is a great benefit if you're someone who doesn't have access to unlimited power.

then there's control. which is actually the most critical component. If you're going for lots of moving lights, energetic, intelligent, motion filled shows, then you're either going to want to look at software based DMX controllers because they can provide the kind of command & control to do your rig justice, or (if you've got the money) console controllers. I know GrandMA, Martin M6, High End Systems & ETC make good intelligent light consoles. But again, no personal experience with these. Daslight Gold (this one isn't really best for more complex shows though, it uses a step-based program instead of a timeline) and MA on PC are what i personally use. My next investments will probably be the M2PC controller, just so i can get a taste of martin products. crossing my fingers i'll be able to own a full size M6 or even a Maxxyz one day lol. Fiesta2 is what i use to control the laser, but Pagolin QuickShow is a much more popular.

So i've only covered about 3 or 4 topics and somehow this post ended up being an essay. In short, out of the almost $12k i've spent on my personal lighting rig, i haven't regretted a single dollar. there's just something about the lights....

anways, good luck on your rig! hope it turns out beautiful :)

Rob Gow

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »

Love lighting. So much that I almost wish I could be only a light guy. There's not a big market for it in my area.

I whipped up this video to show my 3 main setups:

A: 11 Blizzard 3NX on a 16' rear truss, 2 Blizzard Fab5's per side on T-Bars

B: add 4 Martin Minimac Profile moving heads

C: add 4 Chauvet Intimidator Spot Duo moving heads

This gives me a dozen moving heads on the rear truss. It looks awesome, the problem is there often isn't a whole lot of extra money for lighting, or I can't use a hazer. Without a hazer, you might as well forget moving heads as you don't see the light beams, and he's just a lot of extra work.

The full meal deal works out to about $11k worth of lights, but hey, expenses are expenses. I picked up the martins used for $500. They run between $350 - $500 used. One of my goals this year is to get the light rig out more and more.

Here's that video:
http://youtu.be/I6aajl89834

And a quick video of the movers with no fog or haze.
http://youtu.be/ANI9xcIImcU

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 05:55:00 AM »

Love lighting. So much that I almost wish I could be only a light guy. There's not a big market for it in my area.

I whipped up this video to show my 3 main setups:

A: 11 Blizzard 3NX on a 16' rear truss, 2 Blizzard Fab5's per side on T-Bars

B: add 4 Martin Minimac Profile moving heads

C: add 4 Chauvet Intimidator Spot Duo moving heads

This gives me a dozen moving heads on the rear truss. It looks awesome, the problem is there often isn't a whole lot of extra money for lighting, or I can't use a hazer. Without a hazer, you might as well forget moving heads as you don't see the light beams, and he's just a lot of extra work.

The full meal deal works out to about $11k worth of lights, but hey, expenses are expenses. I picked up the martins used for $500. They run between $350 - $500 used. One of my goals this year is to get the light rig out more and more.

Here's that video:
http://youtu.be/I6aajl89834

And a quick video of the movers with no fog or haze.
http://youtu.be/ANI9xcIImcU

Oh hush you, you're always showing your rig off everywhere, that's the reason I'm wanting to dig farther into it, lol.

To the others, thanks for your replies.  I have a few of my Fab5's being fixed, and since most of my shows are more energetic and aimed at a younger crowd (or even drunk crowd) I think the lights would help.  Gonna try to get 4-8 moving heads, that way I can use them in different combos, right now looking at the Torrent F3 from Blizzard, and have also thought about the X-Ray from Blizzard as well, sick looking light and I think 4 of them would look sick in a rig.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 11:43:11 PM »

I need basic lights to do my gigs at all so I went with 2 per side blizzard q6a.  If clients want expanded sound I can put 2 on each corner, this lights a 16x24 stage pretty nicely for a small scale show.  I have some chauvet megatrix to add some motion for dj gig rentals and some blizzard flurry q for even more flash and trash.  Its nothing huge but it adds a lot to the show and I can point to what they are getting extra in the expanded lighting rigs.

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 04:19:38 PM »

A few years ago I bought a pair of MAC300's as my first endeavor into lighting.  After 4 rentals they were paid for, and thus the start of my transition into lighting full time instead of sound.  Audio has no return on investment; I have made WAY more money owning lighting than PA.  But it also has to do with the work I have targeted.  It's a lot easier to get away from the bar band scene if you have a decent lighting rig.

WouterBeneke101

• Supersonic Speaker Hire
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 05:06:59 AM »

Mate I would definitely take a look at investing in some lights lasers and smoke machines. The initial investment is so small compared to the profit margins involved in hiring them out... It is definitely worth it.

No joke some of the lights and lasers I will import from china for about $25 and rent them out at $35 ha ha ha

8) 8) 8)
PA hire in the northern beaches and Sydney area
www.northernbeaches-speakerhire.com

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber