ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Excursion & temperature measurement  (Read 2128 times)

Louis Jensen

Excursion & temperature measurement
« on: December 25, 2013, 09:19:11 AM »

I have a big rig and I would like to know how the 24 fane 18-1500 really performs in my bph, before I take them to the limit!

I was thinking about simple ways to test measure excursion, like using a soft microswitch before Xlim.
This information is of great value to any serious soundsystem, especially using the 18-1500 as I think kits are running out of prodution, which means a blown speaker is a lost speaker.

Furthermore I'd like to measure temperature & SPL (of course) using room eq, arta, smaart or similar.
It's hard to measure the voice coil temperature, I was thinking about putting a cooking thermometer into a voice coil vent hole on the back, it might be so thick that it distorts. Perhaps a compact infrared reader can do this?
I know that http://www.klippel.de does measurements like this, but it seems so expensive & clumsy.

These questions pop up:
-What's an reasonable excursion limit of the speaker? Somewhere between Xmax & Xlim (Xdamage)
-What's would be a reasonable temperature limit right behind the voice coil in the coil vent hole?

I simply want to do practical test of How low they go (excursion limits) & spl (temperature limit).

Rearchamber might very well get too hot unless i reversefire the box, that I have to test too.
Reversefiring gives another problem; the speaker can eat dust from the outside dusty festivals!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber