ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Sound Guy is always the last to know...  (Read 15044 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: The Sound Guy is always the last to know...
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 11:27:07 AM »

If things can be plugged in the wrong way, someday they will be.

Especially if you own XLR gender changing adaptors. I have never owned any and never had the need to use one but I once saw our local radio station doing an outside broadcast and about half of their cables had gender changers on them.

Steve.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 03:20:23 PM »

Especially if you own XLR gender changing adaptors. I have never owned any and never had the need to use one but I once saw our local radio station doing an outside broadcast and about half of their cables had gender changers on them.

Steve.

I was once sent with a handful of XLRM > XLRM and XLRF > XLRF to a satellite room being set up by two "technicians" who had run their cables backwards...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 03:28:01 PM »

I was once sent with a handful of XLRM > XLRM and XLRF > XLRF to a satellite room being set up by two "technicians" who had run their cables backwards...

I propose this becomes Live Sound rule #7. What do you think?

Live Sound Rule #7: If things can be plugged in the wrong way, someday they will be

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 04:10:44 PM »

Live Sound Rule #7: If things can be plugged in the wrong way, someday they will be
Possible corollary to the above:

If two things can't be plugged together, but look like they can be, someday somebody will force them.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2013, 04:11:22 PM »

(to continue)  even if something gets broken in the process.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2013, 09:10:34 PM »

For our production we usually use 10-15 cordless mics and due to budget they are often shared and there is no way for me to physically manage the mics during the performance so to combat rule number 2 a few years ago I started using a wire label maker and put each vocalists name on the mic and a duplicate label on the mixer-and I tell the vocalists if they walk on stage with a mic without their name on it it will not be on-period.  Last year a young vocalist with just a bit of "I'm the talent" attitude grabbed her and her sister's mics at the last second before a full dress rehearsal.  As you might guess, when she stepped out for her solo part on a song no mic-signal LEDs on the board told me she had the wrong mic on, so when all eyes came my way I simply said she has the wrong mic on.  As she protested and fumbled under her costume for her mic I decided to bring up the mic she had on so rehearsal could continue.  Unfortunately, (fortunately  ;D???) it came up just in time for her to announce to all present, "Oh no, I have (sisters name)'s mic on" .  Confession must be good for the soul because it never happened again!

For the production I finished last month it was Wizard of Oz and the board was marked as the actors.  Dorthy, Scare Crow, Tin Man, Lion, GW, BW, Oz, Oz with power.
Eight mic's  had a number on it and the teacher handed the correct number to the student.  Then they marched past the sound board to test one at a time.   4 shows went well.  1st grade to 8th grade.   

Oz with power, I took the direct out from Oz and jacked into the next channel strip line in, added excess of bass, reverb with delay, and trimmed back the highs.   to give the GREAT and POWERFUL OZ  Oz   Oz  oz  oz      oz  .   

For the other parts we just used the normal Oz.    so blah boring! 

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 12:33:44 AM »

1/4" phone jack/plug is all I have to say to that.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mike Sokol

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2013, 08:21:53 AM »

+1  :-X

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2013, 10:58:01 AM »

Yeah, I had a hellacious buzz during a rehearsal a couple of months ago when the bass player grabbed a monitor cable instead of a patch cord.

So far in my *current* church, I haven't seen the inverse occur--one benefit of having sound techs responsible for all the stage setting and patching.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Mike Sokol

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2013, 11:28:26 AM »

Yeah, I had a hellacious buzz during a rehearsal a couple of months ago when the bass player grabbed a monitor cable instead of a patch cord.

Back in the 70's one of my guitar players grabbed and used an instrument/patch cable to connect speakers to his hot-rodded 200-watt Marshall head. An hour into the set the patch cable melted and caught on fire, but the amp's B+ fuse only blew AFTER a 6550 output tube shorted out.

Oh, he then blamed me for the patch cable blowing up his amp... So that's two, maybe three live sound rules at once.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2013, 11:28:26 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.