ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Distributed Power  (Read 24559 times)

Jared Koopman

Re: Distributed Power
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 03:19:27 PM »

You're in luck - a recent thread on this very topic, including a link to Tim Padrick's build with pictures:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,147370.0.html

Thanks!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 03:19:42 PM »

My smaller rig has a "poor man's distro" http://www.triktags.com/power.htm that lets me combine the ground from several circuits.
I hadn't seen a commercial product of this.  It's interesting - they list as a "feature" that you can un-bond the grounds between sections.  Not sure why that's a good idea.  Presumably this is not a listed product.  Hopefully they've done the math and some testing to be sure that their circuit board traces and fast-on connectors are suitable for the full 20A load.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 03:20:46 PM »

I'm in the "run extension cords all over the place" camp.

Most of my stuff is outdoors, and the wiring standards call for IPX4 protection.  I use construction industry power boards (IP44 with RCD) and heavy duty leads with IP66 connectors.  For 240v/10A here the rules require 11ga conductors to span 300'.  Regular domestic leads here are 17ga.

If I want to tie rack grounds together I do this with 8ga ground leads.

Jared Koopman

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 03:22:18 PM »

You get 50A times 2 legs, sort of 100A total (kind of sort of).  Since it's extremely unlikely that all circuits are operating at full capacity, 3 20A circuits are powered off each 50A leg, and that amount of oversubscription is fine.

That makes more sense, thanks.

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 04:15:55 PM »

3. Small dryer plug distro - NEMA 14-50P or Cali-plug to a spider box, or the like - provides usually 6 20A circuits from split phase power.  Requires the venue to have a NEMA 14-50P or Cali receptacle
Along these lines, the Peavey Distro is an ETL listed product. I have one for my personal use and it is fantastic!
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 04:36:14 PM »

Just remember that when you're connecting into split-phase 120/240-volt or 3-phase power, your neutral integrity is VERY important.

Jared Koopman

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 05:20:20 PM »

Just remember that when you're connecting into split-phase 120/240-volt or 3-phase power, your neutral integrity is VERY important.

What does this mean in laymen terms?

Jared Koopman

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 05:45:24 PM »

You're in luck - a recent thread on this very topic, including a link to Tim Padrick's build with pictures:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,147370.0.html

So couple of questions, not sure if that should be in the other thread or this one.

But does this have to be an enclosed box or can it simply be a rack plate?  Like this http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/EWI_Case_Hardware/Rack_Panel_Blanks/D_SERIES_BLANKS/D_SERIES_PANEL.shtml

Can they be mounted in a standard rack case (EWI road case for example) or does that also have to be metal?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 06:25:34 PM »

What does this mean in laymen terms?
This means that if the neutral wire is loose, high resistance, or broken, it may not be able to carry the current imbalance between phases. In that situation, the 240 or 208 volts is divided between your gear in proportion to your equipment's apparent impedance. For example, if you have a 1000 par can on one leg and a 100 watt mixer on the other leg, the par can will take 21 volts, and the mixer will then receive 219 volts from a 240 volt service. This is really bad.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 06:26:22 PM »

So couple of questions, not sure if that should be in the other thread or this one.

But does this have to be an enclosed box or can it simply be a rack plate?  Like this http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/EWI_Case_Hardware/Rack_Panel_Blanks/D_SERIES_BLANKS/D_SERIES_PANEL.shtml

Can they be mounted in a standard rack case (EWI road case for example) or does that also have to be metal?
NEC is pretty clear on this - must be totally enclosed in metal. A wood rack is not sufficient.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 06:26:22 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.