ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: NBC "The Sound of Music Live!"  (Read 11908 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: NBC "The Sound of Music Live!"
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 07:18:14 PM »

I can't disagree with all the negative reviews of the acting, but I thought the singing was spot-on, and I enjoyed it very much.  I can forgive a bit of stiff dialogue for those wonderful songs.

I think this sort of backlash is inevitable when the play and film are such iconic and widely hailed productions.

Perhaps the TV production should have just been called "The Appearance of Music".
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 07:49:11 PM »

Sounds fine here.  Broadcast TV, no cable, no satellite.

Perhaps the TV production should have just been called "The Appearance of Music".

Hmmm…

Mac

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 08:11:07 PM »

Hmmm…

Mac

The second quote was just in response to those who found the audio lacking.

I listened as my wife watched.  As I said, plain old (digital) broadcast TV.  Our receiver is a $200 21" flat screen from Best Buy that we got when analog bit the dust.  Free signal, cheap TV.  Couldn't really hear any of the stuff that folks find unsatisfying. 

Lo-fi smoothing things over???
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2013, 08:27:19 PM »

I listened as my wife watched.  As I said, plain old (digital) broadcast TV.  Our receiver is a $200 21" flat screen from Best Buy that we got when analog bit the dust.  Free signal, cheap TV.  Couldn't really hear any of the stuff that folks find unsatisfying. 

Lo-fi smoothing things over???

I watched on an aging, but still good sounding HT system. I didn't hear the over compression or the hiss. As I said earlier, I did hear the chatter backstage as the crew moved sets and cameras and got the cast into position. I think it would have to be a pretty low noise floor to hear the crew.

I think it was a technical achievement, but I wonder what the point of a live broadcast is if there is no audience. I think NBC is going to try the concept again.

I understand that they need a certain amount of "star power" to draw the audience, and I could get around Carrie Underwood's acting, but I couldn't look at Steven Moyer without seeing covered in blood as Bill in True Blood.

Mac

Kyle Leonard

• Bozeman, MT
    • Enlightened Events
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 08:31:08 PM »

I watched some and listened the most. Over the air broadcast on a backwater Montana station. The sound was great. I noticed a few late unmute cues, especially with one particular actress. Everything else was pretty smooth though.

I will say that since I dumped cable, I have notice the over the air broadcasts are much better than I had with cable or satellite. When my friend are over to watch, they are pretty amazed.

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2013, 09:29:57 PM »

OTA streams at about double the rate of cable or satellite. No surprise you're seeing the difference.
Ryan Davis

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 01:25:03 PM »

I watched on an aging, but still good sounding HT system. I didn't hear the over compression or the hiss. As I said earlier, I did hear the chatter backstage as the crew moved sets and cameras and got the cast into position. I think it would have to be a pretty low noise floor to hear the crew.

I think it was a technical achievement, but I wonder what the point of a live broadcast is if there is no audience.
Mac,

Sounds like local distribution is responsible for the gross noise I and some others heard, I was never able to hear any background chatter over the noise floor which was sometimes only 6-12 dB below the signal.

I also can't see the point of a live broadcast with no audience- there were a lot of scenes that could have used another take, or another acting lesson..

Art

mattkraus

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 05:48:49 AM »

OK, Mac... After much poking and prodding, I'm here. 

I worked as an A2 on the Sound of Music LIVE.  Our team totaled 8 Bway sound techs who handled mic and pack placement specifically.   There were 50 RF mics total including doubles on Maria, Captain, Max, Elsa, and Mother Abbess.  All were hidden to the best of our abilities..  Most on foreheads and hair.  You are correct about Mother Abbess.  Some wimple/ habit difficulty forced us to disguise the mic on the outside of the costume instead of mic more incognito as with the rest. 

Matt Kraus

I'm working with Matt Krause on Monday, I intend to grill him about the production.

Mac

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 01:05:07 PM »

Matt, thanks for joining us. (Thanks Mac!)

You guys did a fantastic job hiding all the elements. I saw two(one of them Mother Abbess) and I was actively looking for them. What was foldback like in the studio? Were you able to pull the capsule farther back from the hairline than you normally could on stage because there was no PA to deal with in the studio? Did the cast hear the orchestra(only paino?) through ear wigs?

Were the double rigs identical elements or did you have a 4066/MKE1 type set-up? Were the transmitters 5212s?

Lester Seidenberg

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 01:40:52 PM »

I watched the rebroadcast last Saturday.  I did hear the noise that people have complained about.   What it sounded like to me was the music playback channels being unmuted prior to the Stage Manager's go command.  I also would remind people that we need to compare this to the stage version, not the movie.   That being said, a few zone mics would have been nice to have in the mix for a little ambient sound sweetening.   NBC should do Amahl and the Night Visitors next year.
They commissioned it, and it will break into scenes much better than the Sound of Music

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 01:40:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.