ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Home Network Attached Storage device  (Read 15924 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Home Network Attached Storage device
« on: December 16, 2013, 01:10:50 AM »

I'm looking at getting my parents a NAS device for Christmas. I've been looking at the WD My Cloud as it had decent reviews and isn't all that expensive.

Does anyone have any ideas on a good one that's under $250-300? Would I do better to go with a diy route and build a mini PC with a large hard drive running some specialized version of Linux?

Just curious to what experiences anyone has with these devices.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running OmniROM 4.4 KitKat using Tapatalk Pro

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
Re: Home Network Attached Storage device
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 08:35:57 AM »

I'm looking at getting my parents a NAS device for Christmas... Just curious to what experiences anyone has with these devices.
Hi Tommy,

I've used both Seagate and Western Digital units for NAS - and had both fail. I went on the WD site, but could see if there are multiple drives in the My Cloud.

After my failures I went with a RAID config from LaCie (10TB) but the price point was quite a bit higher than the WD unit you're looking at. I never wanted to repeat having to send drives out to get data recovered (if it could be recovered) and I've been very happy with the performance and stability of the LaCie,

I'm sure they've come a ways in the last 2 years. Do you know if there are multiple drives in the My Cloud? I would think there would be at a 4TB capacity.

Best regards,
Bob Charest
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:38:06 AM by Bob Charest »

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 09:18:26 AM »

Hi Tommy,

I've used both Seagate and Western Digital units for NAS - and had both fail. I went on the WD site, but could see if there are multiple drives in the My Cloud.

After my failures I went with a RAID config from LaCie (10TB) but the price point was quite a bit higher than the WD unit you're looking at. I never wanted to repeat having to send drives out to get data recovered (if it could be recovered) and I've been very happy with the performance and stability of the LaCie,

I'm sure they've come a ways in the last 2 years. Do you know if there are multiple drives in the My Cloud? I would think there would be at a 4TB capacity.

Best regards,
Bob Charest
Thanks for the reply, the one i'm looking at is a single drive unit. It does have a USB port on it where you can plug another drive into it to back it up. I'll do some more looking at the 2 drive units and see if I can afford any of them.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 09:38:40 AM »

I'm looking at getting my parents a NAS device for Christmas. I've been looking at the WD My Cloud as it had decent reviews and isn't all that expensive.

Does anyone have any ideas on a good one that's under $250-300? Would I do better to go with a diy route and build a mini PC with a large hard drive running some specialized version of Linux?

Just curious to what experiences anyone has with these devices.

Is this for file sharing, or backup?  If it's for backup and they have 50GB or less of stuff, a cloud backup plan like Crashplan or Carbonite is probably a better option.

If it's for file sharing and there's a desktop PC in the house, make the desktop the central repository, and back it up with Crashplan or Carbonite.

If you have lots of stuff, several devices, or are convinced you need a NAS box, get a real one.  Netgear ReadyNAS boxes are fantastic - RAID is a necessity if you care about your data, and you still need to figure out an offline backup somehow.

Custom PCs used as file servers are OK, but they're hard to maintain, usually made out of junk parts, and don't get backed up, and/or get wrecked with software updates.  The dedicated appliance model reduces many of these risks, albeit at some cost.

Nate Armstrong

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 09:55:03 AM »

I just got 2 synology Ds1513+  I have them running in raid 10 + hot spare.. This thing is great. and it has an option for your own cloud system.

http://www.synology.com/en-us/products/overview/DS1513+

They have a single drive model that should also offer a cloud option (free). I would research it.

http://www.synology.com/en-us/products/overview/DS112j

Paul Frith

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 10:05:57 AM »

I've had a lot of success with The Buffalo Linkstation Pro V series.

Also as an alternative - have you looked at any USB to Ethernet products such as Lindy USB2.0 over IP - http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-firewire-c4/usb-over-ip-c1509/usb-2-0-over-ip-server-p1448. You could then just add external usb drives to this...

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 11:46:08 AM »

Is this for file sharing, or backup?  If it's for backup and they have 50GB or less of stuff, a cloud backup plan like Crashplan or Carbonite is probably a better option.

If it's for file sharing and there's a desktop PC in the house, make the desktop the central repository, and back it up with Crashplan or Carbonite.
Unfortunately the only desktop in the house is about to be disposed of and it wouldn't be much use as it's a 10+ year old Dell. Everybody is on laptops now(4 total, 2 with a lot of stuff on them); we're trying to get everything(mainly pictures with some videos and music) in one place where everyone can easily access them and save new ones. I do agree that using Carbonite or Crashplan would be a good idea, does anyone know of a online solution that integrates with a NAS box?
If you have lots of stuff, several devices, or are convinced you need a NAS box, get a real one.  Netgear ReadyNAS boxes are fantastic - RAID is a necessity if you care about your data, and you still need to figure out an offline backup somehow.

Custom PCs used as file servers are OK, but they're hard to maintain, usually made out of junk parts, and don't get backed up, and/or get wrecked with software updates.  The dedicated appliance model reduces many of these risks, albeit at some cost.
I'll concur with custom PCs being fussy, I tried it with an old desktop for a little while and it was a lot of trouble getting and keeping it working.

I just got 2 synology Ds1513+  I have them running in raid 10 + hot spare.. This thing is great. and it has an option for your own cloud system.

http://www.synology.com/en-us/products/overview/DS1513+

They have a single drive model that should also offer a cloud option (free). I would research it.

http://www.synology.com/en-us/products/overview/DS112j
The Synology units do look very nice and have better reviews than the WD models. I may see about splurging on their 2-bay model(which would be around $400 after I bought a pair of NAS rated drives to load it with). Is there a way to connect it to a cloud backup service(not the included personal cloud) such as carbonite or crashplan?

I guess I could get a normal external drive and create a mirror of what's on the NAS once a week or so and store it off site somewhere, but that's not as "fool proof" as the online solution.

I've had a lot of success with The Buffalo Linkstation Pro V series.

Also as an alternative - have you looked at any USB to Ethernet products such as Lindy USB2.0 over IP - http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-firewire-c4/usb-over-ip-c1509/usb-2-0-over-ip-server-p1448. You could then just add external usb drives to this...
The USB over Ethernet looks interesting but one of the reasons I want a NAS is so we can view/listen to the pictures/videos/music over DLNA with our Blue-ray players and game consoles.

After reading everything what I'd like to find is a NAS box that we can store stuff to and have the NAS push everything to an online backup service automatically. Does such a system that won't break the bank exist?

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 12:03:51 PM »

So I did a little Googling and discovered that it's possible to install a headless version Crashplan on the Synology devices(including the smaller 2-bay I'm looking at) so I may go that route unless someone has another solution.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 12:13:21 PM »

So I did a little Googling and discovered that it's possible to install a headless version Crashplan on the Synology devices(including the smaller 2-bay I'm looking at) so I may go that route unless someone has another solution.
ReadyNAS has a cloud backup service as well - not sure how favorable the cost is vs. other solutions. https://vault.readynas.com/

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 01:01:58 PM »

ReadyNAS has a cloud backup service as well - not sure how favorable the cost is vs. other solutions. https://vault.readynas.com/
Theirs is pretty expensive compared to Crashplan or Carbonite. The ReadyNAS service is $20 per month for 50gb whereas Crashplan is $6(or less if you commit to a contract for 1 or more years, the 4 year contract drops the price to $4) per month for unlimited storage on 1 computer(presumably this plan would work with the Synology). Also the Synology supports Amazon Glacier storage which is $0.01 per GB per month.

The Synology option is looking better and better....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 01:01:58 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.