ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Easy Tomcat Assembly?  (Read 7542 times)

Kyle Malenfant

Easy Tomcat Assembly?
« on: December 14, 2013, 07:34:37 PM »

I usually use Global Truss for light duty truss work.  The other day we were required to use around 160' of Tomcat truss.  We came prepared with enough socket wrenches to go around, but it took quite a long time to set a strike the truss.

In all the extensive experience of the lighting and rigging guys out there, is there a better way to assemble the truss that cuts down on the time needed?

Cordless drill with socket attachment?

Pneumatic socket wench/impact driver running off a portable air compressor?

Any suggestions?

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
Re: Easy Tomcat Assembly?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 09:06:31 AM »

No real easy way.

We use an air impact with a compressor. Goes fairly fast but still a pita to get the gun inside the truss.

The bigger the truss the easier... :)

Bob Cap
Advanced Audio Inc,
Gilbert, MN

James Feenstra

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 09:39:25 AM »

Yes- get truss with pins :)

If you want to get adventurous you can pre-build parts of the rig at the shop and ship them in bigger pieces (ie. 16-24' sticks, maybe bigger depending on the size of your truck) maybe even with cable looms and fixture spikes on them to decrease load in times
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 07:56:36 PM »

If you have the crew to do it:

One person lining up the holes and pushing the bolts through.

One person putting on the nuts, finger-tight

One person fully tightening the nuts/bolts

Finally: have another person double-check the work real quick...

It helps to have the nuts, bolts, and washer (cut or otherwise) separated beforehand when going about it this way.

I, personally, prefer to hand-tighten so as to not unintentionally over-tighten the nuts/bolts.  "1/4 turn past finger-tight" is my  standard; I use a deep 15/16" socket and a stubby 15/16 combo wrench (open and offset box).

I've used this method for multiple-hundreds of feet of truss, and it can be efficient with a little pre-set organization.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 09:48:58 PM »

No real easy way.

We use an air impact with a compressor. Goes fairly fast but still a pita to get the gun inside the truss.

The bigger the truss the easier... :)

Bob Cap
Advanced Audio Inc,
Gilbert, MN
That sounds like an awful lot of noise, as well as the potential for stretching your threads out.

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 10:12:37 AM »

Noise...what?

How are you doing. Awhile since we've talked...

Haven't had any issues with stretching the threads. You don't have to go nuts on the nuts... ;)

Maybe I've just been lucky. Now days we are only setting up a couple of sections and then I just grab a socket.

When we used to do roofs the air equipment came in handy...lots a nuts. On both sides of the air impact...

Bob Cap
AAI
Gilbert, MN

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 11:08:56 AM »

Nope, just bring lots of bolts, lots of wrenches, and lots of monkeys.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 12:57:54 PM »

That sounds like an awful lot of noise, as well as the potential for stretching your threads out.

THIS. IS. SPOT. ON.

Give a gorilla stage hand a wrench and ratchet, and you can get damaged fasteners.  Nothing kills your load out time like having to grind grade 8 bolts...  but if you give an impact gun to a little girl stagehand, you can still end up with damaged fasteners.  I think Bob gets better help than some of us... ;)

Tim "has assembled thousands of feet of truss" Mc
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 01:01:06 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 01:09:16 PM »

I usually use Global Truss for light duty truss work.  The other day we were required to use around 160' of Tomcat truss.  We came prepared with enough socket wrenches to go around, but it took quite a long time to set a strike the truss.

In all the extensive experience of the lighting and rigging guys out there, is there a better way to assemble the truss that cuts down on the time needed?

Cordless drill with socket attachment?

Pneumatic socket wench/impact driver running off a portable air compressor?

Any suggestions?

The suggestion to use spigoted truss is also not fool proof.  Uneven terrain or unlevel floors can make pin removal an Olympic event.  In the end this is one of the tasks that sucks no matter what.  Don't get in a hurry, shit gets damaged and people can get hurt.

When it comes to mechanical assembly at a county fair, I love having farmers and farm kids.  They follow instructions and understand that over-torquing has consequences.  Church groups?  More hit and miss, mostly miss.

We give "Truss 101" lessons and use the process that Jordan mentions - assembly line work, with one of our staff doing a 100% check of torque on every bolt.

Kyle, I know this takes time but it's time you have to allow for.  Not only do major show elements depend on having truss, but also the absolutely fastidious nature of safety requires it.  I'd hate to read that you had a truss failure do to a rushed setup.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kyle Malenfant

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 03:48:04 PM »

Kyle, I know this takes time but it's time you have to allow for.  Not only do major show elements depend on having truss, but also the absolutely fastidious nature of safety requires it.  I'd hate to read that you had a truss failure do to a rushed setup.

Tim you're spot on..

I do like the advice of having the nuts and bolts separated..we had ours together and that in itself added more time than what was necessary.  Going forward, I'll bring more than enough ratchets and sockets to go around.  I will certainly implement the assembly line approach..one guy finger tightens, the other guy torques down, and the other does a final check.  Also, better planning on the time needed will help make load-in time scheduling more realistic.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 03:48:04 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 23 queries.