ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound Systems Beta Testers  (Read 5485 times)

Alberto Escrina

• STS Sound Touring Systems
Sound Systems Beta Testers
« on: December 14, 2013, 09:52:43 AM »

Hi.
First of all, just in case, I do work for a sound system manufacturer.
I was wondering if most well known sound systems manufacturers have some kind of agreement with one or more sound companies in order to test their new products on the road before they are offered for sale.
Most of them? Rarely? A must?
I red in some interview that this period could last one or two years.
What´s your oppinion / knowledge on this issue?
Thank you!
Regards from Argentina.
Alberto Escriña
R&D for STS Sound Touring Systems
Buenos Aires,
Argentina

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Sound Systems Beta Testers
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 11:47:12 AM »

Hi.
First of all, just in case, I do work for a sound system manufacturer.
I was wondering if most well known sound systems manufacturers have some kind of agreement with one or more sound companies in order to test their new products on the road before they are offered for sale.
Most of them? Rarely? A must?
I red in some interview that this period could last one or two years.
What´s your oppinion / knowledge on this issue?
Thank you!
Regards from Argentina.

Greetings Alberto-

It is common for major manufacturers to work with a major client to place a beta system for use and evaluation.  Most of the folks who have been on the receiving end of this cannot, by contract or non-disclosure agreement, discuss most or perhaps any aspect of their participation.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Alberto Escrina

• STS Sound Touring Systems
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 05:52:58 PM »

Hi Tim,
Certainly I do not intend to receive any confidential information because of the reasons you mention.
I just would like to know things such as, do both parts work together during the evaluation time, or the manufacturer just puts the system in their hands and receive reports?.
Is it very common as you say or, on the contrary, manufacturers don´t like to admit their limitations in front of his client?
How much time does this process ussually take?
Are there manufacturers out there that do not make those "real world" tests side by side with a client? and trust on their own evaluations and "hands on" experiences?
Obviously, no names requested.
This is the spirit of my question.
Thank you for answering!
Best regards,

Alberto Escriña
R&D for STS Sound Touring Systems
Buenos Aires,
Argentina

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 07:37:48 PM »

Hi Tim,
Certainly I do not intend to receive any confidential information because of the reasons you mention.
I just would like to know things such as, do both parts work together during the evaluation time, or the manufacturer just puts the system in their hands and receive reports?.
Is it very common as you say or, on the contrary, manufacturers don´t like to admit their limitations in front of his client?
How much time does this process ussually take?
Are there manufacturers out there that do not make those "real world" tests side by side with a client? and trust on their own evaluations and "hands on" experiences?
Obviously, no names requested.
This is the spirit of my question.
Thank you for answering!
Best regards,
The answer is there is not easy answer.  There are all kinds of different situations-with many variables.

So with the usual audio answer-It depends.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 11:49:23 PM »

It really depends.  Any time a product is released out into the wild, that's a chance for the competition to get their hands on it and get a leg up on what's coming.  The more in-house simulations that can be run, the better.

Now, getting feedback from focus groups on potential products are obviously a benefit in coming up with the product that end users are actually looking for.

Now, once a product has been released, and the information is made public, it makes sense for a manufacturer to work with partners using it in real world to help determine if the in house testing procedures resulted in the same net outcome.  It helps to adjust testing procedures for the next time around.
Brian Jojade

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 08:30:42 AM »

hey

yeah most of the manufacturers have one or two long term, trusted customers that they will beta test their new systems with.

The sound company gets to take the speakers out on the road for a real world trial and provide advice on what they think will improve it, and the manufacturers get to see if they're new ideas carry through and are practical in the real world.

Anything from rigging hardware and transport logistics to dsp presets and set up options can all be refined and adjusted between the two parties until they feel they have a product that will work in the real touring world and be worth buying.

As you suggest, its a bit of a two way trust situation. The sound company will have to trust that the product is worth putting out on some decent tours in the first place and wont ruin their reputation, and that their suggestions will be met in the good spirit they are intended.

The manufacturer has to trust the level of competence of the customer and that their suggestions will be worthwhile, and that they can keep a secret. And as you say the manufacturer has to trust the client enough to be able to openly discuss any problems with the system and that they can work together to improve things.

k

Matt Marcus

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 03:01:06 PM »

Totally off topic, but whoa! Crack the Sky quotation!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 04:02:35 PM »

Totally off topic, but whoa! Crack the Sky quotation!
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?  Afraid of the ice?"

Crack the Sky is one of the most under-rated acts, ever. 
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 04:21:11 PM »

"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?  Afraid of the ice?"

Crack the Sky is one of the most under-rated acts, ever.
Amen!

(Three of us know who Crack the Sky is? Wow.)
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 04:30:48 PM »

And all of us from MD

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 04:30:48 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.