ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Driver breakin  (Read 16345 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Driver breakin
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 08:08:58 PM »

I believe in speaker break in...
They broke the window on my car a stole the sub woofer!

Ivan...back to work now on that new "OS100" speaker  ;D
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 08:25:33 PM »

I believe in speaker break in...
They broke the window on my car a stole the sub woofer!

Ivan...back to work now on that new "OS100" speaker  ;D
It is getting close.  Along with some other "members of the family" in the works.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

sam saponaro

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 03:25:01 PM »

f
So why is he "breaking them in"?

If the "old sound" is what he is after-then why buy new speakers-why not just use the old ones he has?
Allot those plexi guys and vintage amp hounds don't want to beat the crap outta there old speakers on the road and save the vintage cabs for studio.Original pulsonic coned greenback Celestions sound waaaayyy warmer than the Reissue greenbacks for instance.So rather than risk blowing up an expensive vintage speaker that cannot be replaced,they do weird voodoo rituals to try and make some readily available speakers sound the way they want.
 Like I said guitar is a whole differant world really.look at the amount of time invested in building distortion units,the main thing that is avoided in pro audio.
With guitar there is more than just sound involved there is feel of the amplified instrument and that comes from the sum of the whole rig from guitar-pedals-amp-tubes-transformers-speakers-cabs and how they react.
 Not trying to be a ball breaker I know you know speaker design more than I ever will.I'm just sayin guitar players have a focused zoomed in idea of what they want there guitar to sound like in there head and if the "real thing" is impractical you do what you can to modify what you can get,to sound like it.
 Ask any crazy that spends $1200+ for a quad of Genalex KT88s ;)

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 03:45:06 PM by sam saponaro »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 06:42:43 PM »

Allot those plexi guys and vintage amp hounds don't want to beat the crap outta there old speakers on the road and save the vintage cabs for studio.Original pulsonic coned greenback Celestions sound waaaayyy warmer than the Reissue greenbacks for instance.So rather than risk blowing up an expensive vintage speaker that cannot be replaced,they do weird voodoo rituals to try and make some readily available speakers sound the way they want.
 Like I said guitar is a whole differant world really.look at the amount of time invested in building distortion units,the main thing that is avoided in pro audio.
With guitar there is more than just sound involved there is feel of the amplified instrument and that comes from the sum of the whole rig from guitar-pedals-amp-tubes-transformers-speakers-cabs and how they react.
 Not trying to be a ball breaker I know you know speaker design more than I ever will.I'm just sayin guitar players have a focused zoomed in idea of what they want there guitar to sound like in there head and if the "real thing" is impractical you do what you can to modify what you can get,to sound like it.
 Ask any crazy that spends $1200+ for a quad of Genalex KT88s ;)
And then go talk to a "hi-fi" guy about what they "think" they are doing with various "tweaks".

Just as proof that they are not hearing what they "think" they are-consider this.

I have worked with lots of touring musicians over the years.  MANY times they will ask for me to change something in their monitor-AND  BEFORE I can get my hand to the tone or volume control they say "That's good".

SO WHAT CHANGED?  Me putting my hand near the knob? i don't think so-i can't hold it there the whole show---------------

Or the fact that THEY THINK something happened.  The mind/ear is real easy to fool when it comes to audio.

Just do this for yourself.  Play a track through a channel on a console.  Now hit the mute button on and off and listen real hard for how the sound "changes".  Often you will swear that something has changed.

So what do you do now?  How do you make the switch have that particular "sound".

I'm just saying that just becasue somebody DOES SOMETHING does NOT mean that anything really happened. 

But if you believe it did-then I guess it did.

So we have people that are being fooled by nothing and they are spreading that "foolishness".

Yes some things make a difference-others don't.  You need FACT to separate the two.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 07:56:02 AM »

And then go talk to a "hi-fi" guy about what they "think" they are doing with various "tweaks".

Just as proof that they are not hearing what they "think" they are-consider this.

I have worked with lots of touring musicians over the years.  MANY times they will ask for me to change something in their monitor-AND  BEFORE I can get my hand to the tone or volume control they say "That's good".

SO WHAT CHANGED?  Me putting my hand near the knob? i don't think so-i can't hold it there the whole show---------------

Or the fact that THEY THINK something happened.  The mind/ear is real easy to fool when it comes to audio.

Just do this for yourself.  Play a track through a channel on a console.  Now hit the mute button on and off and listen real hard for how the sound "changes".  Often you will swear that something has changed.

So what do you do now?  How do you make the switch have that particular "sound".

I'm just saying that just becasue somebody DOES SOMETHING does NOT mean that anything really happened. 

But if you believe it did-then I guess it did.

So we have people that are being fooled by nothing and they are spreading that "foolishness".

Yes some things make a difference-others don't.  You need FACT to separate the two.
You have pointed out a very interesting "effect". I too have had the "I didn't touch anything now it's fine" situation.
The power of your mind to affect perception cannot be discounted and one only has to look at visual perception "tricks" as an indicator.
The last line in your post sums it up!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 10:09:25 AM »

You have pointed out a very interesting "effect". I too have had the "I didn't touch anything now it's fine" situation.
The power of your mind to affect perception cannot be discounted and one only has to look at visual perception "tricks" as an indicator.
The last line in your post sums it up!

I've seen this, too, and sometimes it's the psychology... and sometimes it's physics... the request for say, more vocal happens right as the guitarist stops playing and suddenly "hey, that's perfect!"
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 11:40:47 AM »

...The market is made up in such a way that by the time you acquire the things you want, you can't afford to change your mind about it.

That should be the "Quote of The Day!".

-Dennis

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 09:37:49 PM »

Truth ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  :o :o :o :o :o :o
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Lyle Williams

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2014, 04:31:32 AM »

Break in is a fabulous concept from a vendor's point of view.  They would be mad to break in any products they sold.

You buy a product and take it home.  Don't like the sound?  Just wait for it to break in.   :-)  It will sound much better.  Trust us, you will notice a huge difference.   :-)

I had heard a plausible mechanism for headphone break in:  over time the cushioning foam compacts and the resonant space between the driver and the eardrum shrinks.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2014, 08:28:34 AM »

Break in is a fabulous concept from a vendor's point of view.  They would be mad to break in any products they sold.

You buy a product and take it home.  Don't like the sound?  Just wait for it to break in.   :-)  It will sound much better.  Trust us, you will notice a huge difference.   :-)

I had heard a plausible mechanism for headphone break in:  over time the cushioning foam compacts and the resonant space between the driver and the eardrum shrinks.
But there are some manufacturers who market the fact that their drivers are "pre broken in"-so you don't have to.  You get to pay extra for that.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2014, 08:28:34 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.