ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Driver breakin  (Read 16347 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Driver breakin
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 03:13:28 PM »

Warren Haynes I guess blasts music trough his Marshall cabs for something like 24hrs to break um in.

Why do you guess this?

Steve.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 03:14:04 PM »

The only thing "breaking in" is the truth.  And the truth is that for professional audio loudspeakers, "break in" is voodoo bullshit, par excellence.

Break-in?  Plug them in and use them.  There, you're done.
And think of it this way.  Let's say you buy a brand new PA system.

Do you take it to the gig and Instantly perform critical listening or sound checks?

NO-in most every case I can think of, at least some canned music is played for a little bit before attempting to do sound check.  You know check for coverage maybe max level etc.

That should be enough to "break it in" as if the subtle differences/changes would even be noticed.

I do know there are some manufacturers who make a big deal of going ahead and "breaking in" the speakers so that they are "ready to play" when you get them.

Now it is not a bad idea to run them for awhile to make sure they work fine-but to me it seems as if it is just another thing to "baffle" the user who does not know better and make them "think" they are getting something that they are not.

And unless my test (i did just one) was flawed-how would you know if the speakers were broken in or not?  It is not as if there was enough change to make any noticeable difference
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

sam saponaro

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 03:57:35 PM »

Why do you guess this?

Steve.
Well its what I've read on forums on more than one occasion but being a few years ago wanted to give a blanket answer incase I screwed up a detail or two. ;)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 05:48:12 PM »

Well its what I've read on forums on more than one occasion but being a few years ago wanted to give a blanket answer incase I screwed up a detail or two. ;)
Just because somebody does something (especially in audio) does not mean that it NEEDS to be done or actually makes a difference.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

sam saponaro

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 07:22:13 PM »

True,
But in a way guitarist are going for differant purposes than pa systems. Gotta figure Warren Haynes is a Marshall plexi guy. And allot of them old school guitar sounds involve high volume cone breakup.So softening the cone may give a differance in that respect.
I dunno I don't push my amps THAT hard and try not to blow up my vintage greenbacks,which are 40+ yrs broken in.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 08:49:11 PM »

I just recently completed a re-cone on a powered speaker I own. I compared it to the other ( same model ) one I had which still had original components. I could not hear and or discern any audible difference between the two. The comparison was done with a speaker with 6 year old components and the first fire up of the re-coned unit. I have never really believed that a break in would make a difference. The electrical and surrounding box aspects of the speaker are unchanging. The only change in a speaker might be the loosening up of the surround and spider material? I don't see the minor difference to be enough to make a major tone difference. Now if the speaker originally had a doped surround and the re-cone was not doped, then perhaps a difference could be heard?

As for guitar speakers and break in.........?????????? I think if there wasn't such a BS circus about them, we would all be better off. Guitar speakers are grossly overpriced for what they are and the fact that about 90% of them are trying to capture a sound that already exists is even worse. To me it's silly to make a speaker to sound like an already existing speaker and drive the price up even more. The disparity in price from the stockers to the sought after models is silly. It's roughly the same cost to produce a Vintage 30 as a low end seventy 80. Yet the V-30's will set you back about double the cost. Don't even get me started on the Blue model that will set you back close to $300 for a 15watt speaker!!!!! The speaker manufacturers will sell an Eskimo ice if they could. They are for the most part thriving off of a silly legacy driven platform as it is. To make matters worse, we place these speakers in untuned and abhorrent box designs that were basically more about the utilization of one piece of plywood. The 4X12 cabinets are beamy and some are so bad that cancellation will occur in places around the speaker where you may be standing! The market is made up in such a way that by the time you acquire the things you want, you can't afford to change your mind about it. 
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 09:34:18 AM »

The only thing "breaking in" is the truth.  And the truth is that for professional audio loudspeakers, "break in" is voodoo bullshit, par excellence.

Break-in?  Plug them in and use them.  There, you're done.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my response.  "Break in" is a myth, no denying that.

John

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 11:14:19 AM »

True,
But in a way guitarist are going for differant purposes than pa systems. Gotta figure Warren Haynes is a Marshall plexi guy. And allot of them old school guitar sounds involve high volume cone breakup.So softening the cone may give a differance in that respect.
I dunno I don't push my amps THAT hard and try not to blow up my vintage greenbacks,which are 40+ yrs broken in.
f
So why is he "breaking them in"?

If the "old sound" is what he is after-then why buy new speakers-why not just use the old ones he has?

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 12:36:24 PM »

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my response.  "Break in" is a myth, no denying that.

John

John, NP.  My reply was for support, not contradiction.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 02:57:29 PM »

John, NP.  My reply was for support, not contradiction.

Thanks.  I still could have been more clear.

Best regards,

John

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 02:57:29 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.