ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley TH-118 Drivers  (Read 7458 times)

Thad Kraus

Danley TH-118 Drivers
« on: January 16, 2014, 10:23:15 PM »

Perhaps I am better off just calling Danley directly but I figured I would toss it out here anyway. We recently purchased a second Danley TH-118 to accompany the other we bought 2 years ago. It appears that the driver is different in the two subs. Is there any difference between the new and old model both in power handling and or sonic quality? Perhaps Ivan could weigh in? Thanks.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Danley TH-118 Drivers
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 07:15:15 AM »

Perhaps I am better off just calling Danley directly but I figured I would toss it out here anyway. We recently purchased a second Danley TH-118 to accompany the other we bought 2 years ago. It appears that the driver is different in the two subs. Is there any difference between the new and old model both in power handling and or sonic quality? Perhaps Ivan could weigh in? Thanks.
The first thing to check is if they are 8 or 4 ohm drivers.
I know the older TH115s were 8 ohm  and now they are sold with a 4 ohm driver.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 07:44:11 AM »

The original TH118s used a 18 sound driver.  Some-not all of them had an odd issue.  So the change was made very soon after introduction to the B&C driver.  It has remained that way since.

The hole pattern is slightly different-so the 2 drivers don't directly fit and have to be drilled out a tad to fit.

And as Keith said-it is available in both 4 or 8 ohm-with the standard being 4 ohm
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Chiara

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 11:03:49 AM »

The original TH118s used a 18 sound driver.  Some-not all of them had an odd issue.  So the change was made very soon after introduction to the B&C driver.  It has remained that way since.

The hole pattern is slightly different-so the 2 drivers don't directly fit and have to be drilled out a tad to fit.

And as Keith said-it is available in both 4 or 8 ohm-with the standard being 4 ohm

Is there a source for 18 sound recone service?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 04:07:58 PM »

Is there a source for 18 sound recone service?
I would start with a local reconer-but I am sure there are plenty of mail order reconers out there.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Thad Kraus

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 05:17:14 PM »

I would start with a local reconer-but I am sure there are plenty of mail order reconers out there.

I thought I remember seeing that around that time the power handling of the TH-118's jumped up? I could be mistaken...

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 06:37:41 PM »

I thought I remember seeing that around that time the power handling of the TH-118's jumped up? I could be mistaken...
The original TH-118  1800/7200 watt power specifications and frequency response were for the 18 sound driver, and were never changed after the 1700/6400 watt B&C18SW115-4 was introduced.
Both drivers have much more power handling than the driver used in the TH-115, and the TH-115 and TH-118 are the same physical size.

The spec sheet and website still picture the 18 sound driver around four years after the change.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 06:37:41 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.