ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound level meters  (Read 4173 times)

Antonio March Caballé

Sound level meters
« on: December 11, 2013, 04:52:07 PM »

I would like to measure SPL in a hall when the music is playing. I have seen sound meter levels for 20€ or even less. I would like to know if they might be right for that purpose. I think it is class A, freq range 31Hz to 8500HZ (seems narrow, but I can't found ranges in other examples). It is just for testing ballpark figures or live venues (in a hall, in a garden, at 10m at 20m,... and the like).

http://www.trotec24.com/es-es/medidores/nivel-acustico/sonometro-bs15.html?utm_source=gooster&utm_medium=portale&utm_campaign=gooster_es

thanks

Chris Tsanjoures

Re: Sound level meters
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 11:31:08 AM »

That SPL meter would suite you fine for basic reference/informational purpose. 'A' refers to the frequency weighting on the resultant display.
I am employed by Rational Acoustics. Besides being a Product Manager for the Smaart Platform, I operate as a fully deployable Smaart Ninja (aka Instructor/System Guy).

Dave Aubuchon

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »

That SPL meter would suite you fine for basic reference/informational purpose. 'A' refers to the frequency weighting on the resultant display.
While we're on the subject, what are some of the better hand held ones?

Chris Tsanjoures

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 03:42:43 PM »

B&K makes some pretty well featured handheld meters; with cool things like RTA and averaging and what not. They are not as affordable as your standard RadioShack SPL meter. And honestly, if you are just looking for a reference, those RadioShack digital SPL meters are a great.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 04:02:27 PM by Chris Tsanjoures »
I am employed by Rational Acoustics. Besides being a Product Manager for the Smaart Platform, I operate as a fully deployable Smaart Ninja (aka Instructor/System Guy).

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 09:09:23 AM »

That all depends on what you are trying to do and factors such as the functionality and accuracy required.  When I started looking at Type 1 handheld meter systems that would do everything I might need for my work I found myself looking at $20k+ meters from companies like B&K, Larson-Davis and Norsonic.  However, that was a factor of providing acoustical consulting and the average sound system provider does not need nearly that level of accuracy or functionality such that many are fine with lower cost meters from Radio Shack, Galaxy Audio, Extech and others.

It may be worth noting that some noise ordinances define that measurements must be made using at least a Type 2 or General Purpose rated meter and that many of the very entry level SLMs have no 'Type' rating.  If that may be a factor then it might be worth investing the little bit more for a Type 2 SLM.

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 11:03:12 AM »

It may be worth noting that some noise ordinances define that measurements must be made using at least a Type 2 or General Purpose rated meter and that many of the very entry level SLMs have no 'Type' rating.  If that may be a factor then it might be worth investing the little bit more for a Type 2 SLM.
Would you also recommend a calibrator for that kind of application?
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Alfredo Prada

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 05:13:42 PM »

Another recommendation:

www.nti-audio.com

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 06:54:07 PM »

Would you also recommend a calibrator for that kind of application?
It's not typically required with noise ordinances but if you are dealing with legal compliance or expert witness testimony then being able to calibrate before measurements, and confirm the calibration was maintained after the measurements, is advisable.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 06:54:07 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 26 queries.