ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CMA award show audio  (Read 1828 times)

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
CMA award show audio
« on: December 11, 2013, 01:48:57 AM »

I just got done doing something I think most of you have always wanted to do. I went to an award show that was televised LIVE and then drove home and saw it on TV an hour later. How you ask? Well, the show was in Vegas and went live on the East coast.

I was invited the day before to check out the new EAW Anya rig so I got to meet a few of the crew and hear the rig with tracks, as well as a few bands that were doing rehearsals. Ron Reaves was the music mixer and manned an Digico SD5 while production element mixer Mike Stewart  drove a Digico SD10. I'm not sure who was on the broadcast audio end.

PA was provided by ATK and consisted of 20 Anya per side array in a 10 hang next to a 6 hang next to a 4 hang on each side providing 180 deg of coverage. 16 JBL  Vertec subs (8 flown and 4 per side) handled the low end while 4 clusters of JBL Vertec were flown as delays. Various front fills were also used.

EAW then invited my family to see the show so I went with my kids. The rig sounded great and the audio quality during the show was excellent. I didn't notice any glitches like missed cues or dead microphones.

After the gig we drove home and an hour later, we all sat around the TV (this time including my wife who could not make it for the show) and we watched the broadcast. Again audio was great and it was fun to compare the live mix to the broadcast audio.

The funny thing was that the couple of songs that I thought were fantastic sounding live just sounded OK on my home theater rig, and a few songs I thought were just OK live sounded really nice at home!

I think the crews did a great job on the live and broadcast ends. Was pretty cool being able to experience both sides of the show.  I've worked many live broadcast events before but never got to see them on TV.

And yes, the Anya rig does sound quite nice!
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

John Chiara

Re: CMA award show audio
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 11:04:26 AM »

I just got done doing something I think most of you have always wanted to do. I went to an award show that was televised LIVE and then drove home and saw it on TV an hour later. How you ask? Well, the show was in Vegas and went live on the East coast.

I was invited the day before to check out the new EAW Anya rig so I got to meet a few of the crew and hear the rig with tracks, as well as a few bands that were doing rehearsals. Ron Reaves was the music mixer and manned an Digico SD5 while production element mixer Mike Stewart  drove a Digico SD10. I'm not sure who was on the broadcast audio end.

PA was provided by ATK and consisted of 20 Anya per side array in a 10 hang next to a 6 hang next to a 4 hang on each side providing 180 deg of coverage. 16 JBL  Vertec subs (8 flown and 4 per side) handled the low end while 4 clusters of JBL Vertec were flown as delays. Various front fills were also used.

EAW then invited my family to see the show so I went with my kids. The rig sounded Ygreat and the audio quality during the show was excellent. I didn't notice any glitches like missed cues or dead microphones.

After the gig we drove home and an hour later, we all sat around the TV (this time including my wife who could not make it for the show) and we watched the broadcast. Again audio was great and it was fun to compare the live mix to the broadcast audio.

The funny thing was that the couple of songs that I thought were fantastic sounding live just sounded OK on my home theater rig, and a few songs I thought were just OK live sounded really nice at home!

I think the crews did a great job on the live and broadcast ends. Was pretty cool being able to experience both sides of the show.  I've worked many live broadcast events before but never got to see them on TV.

And yes, the Anya rig does sound quite nice!

Craig, how big was the room for the show?
Thanks,
John

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 01:09:46 PM »

how big was the room for the show?

Standard hockey/ basketball sized arena. There was way more PA in the room than was needed and coverage was excellent. I walked the room on rehearsal day with another sound guy and we had them turn off the delays. We both thought the main PA hang covered the room quite well.
Craig

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 01:27:22 PM »

Craig, how big was the room for the show?
Thanks,
John

The Mandalay Bay Events Center is a 12,000 seat arena. For a TV event you probably lose a third of those seats to production, maybe more, depending on where the stage(s) ends up.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 01:27:22 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.