ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley SM80 vs. JTR Noesis 3TX  (Read 18844 times)

John Notestine

Re: Danley SM80 vs. JTR Noesis 3TX
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 06:56:37 PM »

The reason for the color has several sides.

First of all we did not want a dark finish-as that can get quite hot under the sun.

While the manufacturer say we should not even be thinking about the life of the material for at least 50 years-I don't like touching cabinets and burning your hand.

The color is also "kinda natural" for what happens to "stuff" outside.  So it won't show dirt and such as much as darker colors.

The color goes all the way through.
Ivan - They look great!  The color makes total sense for there intended use.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 07:08:12 PM »

You mentioned that the output is very conservatively rated.  I see that their continuous and peak SPL ratings are about 1 dB higher than the SH50s.  Is this noticeable at all, or are they pretty even?  I know they are different beasts (SH50 goes much lower), but I've heard the SH50s at pretty high levels and was quite impressed with the clarity. 

I would not get so hung up on the max SPL ratings-there are "variables" that simply don't show up on the "simple" numbers.

While the specs may appear to be different, I would suspect (I have not actually tried this) that the Sm80 can "outrun" the SH50-at least above 140Hzish.

The Sm 80 has a higher sensitivity-that is easily heard.  However the power "capacity" is not as high as the Sh50-due to the strong pair of woofers in the Sh50.

The HF section of the SM80 is stronger than the SH50.  The midrange of the SM80 is stronger than the SH50.  Down to its cutoff I would suspect that the SM80 would at least keep up or outrun the SH50.

Given a choice-I would take the Sm80 over the SH50 if I needed to do a loud rock band-as long as I had subs to go with it.

I would have no problem doing loud rock for 4-500 people (maybe more) with a single Sm80 per side. 
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 07:14:06 PM »

Question. I had considered OS80's for portable because I figured:
1. I would always use them on stands... Going up 8-10' and angling seems optimal for many shows I do.
2. They are light.
3. I thought I could rig hooks on the truck wall and hang them by the yokes.
This is why I have TRYING to get a demo!
How have you been trying to get a demo?  Have you contacted the local rep?  What are you willing to do to get a demo?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Chiara

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 11:38:33 PM »

How have you been trying to get a demo?  Have you contacted the local rep?  What are you willing to do to get a demo?

Contacted 2 dealers. And sent emails to the Danley website.
I am willing to have my uncle do anything to get a demo!
I am flexible.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 08:17:18 AM »

Contacted 2 dealers. And sent emails to the Danley website.
I am willing to have my uncle do anything to get a demo!
I am flexible.

I will pass this on "to the powers that be".  I don't work on that end of the business.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Notestine

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 08:43:54 PM »

I decided to spring for the Noesis 3TXs.  Jeff informed me that the Noesis have a 90 x 60 option, which solved my coverage concern. 

Now - which amplifier?  I currently have a couple of RMX 2450s that I can run bridged mono to each speaker, but I'm open to a single, better, and lighter option.

QSC PL340?  PL380 too much?  PLX 3402?  I know a lot of people don't like the PLX series for subs, but how about for tops?

John Chiara

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 11:35:53 PM »

I decided to spring for the Noesis 3TXs.  Jeff informed me that the Noesis have a 90 x 60 option, which solved my coverage concern. 

Now - which amplifier?  I currently have a couple of RMX 2450s that I can run bridged mono to each speaker, but I'm open to a single, better, and lighter option.

QSC PL340?  PL380 too much?  PLX 3402?  I know a lot of people don't like the PLX series for subs, but how about for tops?

Might want to look for a used Camco?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 11:42:46 PM »

What are you using for system processing?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Notestine

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 11:50:04 PM »

What are you using for system processing?
Currently using a Peavey VSX 26, but looking to switch to a Danley DSLP48.

John Notestine

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 11:56:47 PM »

Might want to look for a used Camco?
I'm not familiar with Camcos.  Which model do you recommend?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 11:56:47 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.