ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: FCC Auction of 600 MHz Band?  (Read 30158 times)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: FCC Auction of 600 MHz Band?
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 08:30:46 AM »

I'm pretty confident that by the end of the decade there won't be any spectrum left for wireless microphones or IEMs etc... We'll all be back on hardwired mics.  >:(
Who gets to tell the Prez he can't use a wireless HH on the campaign trail ? ::) ::)
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 09:00:14 AM »

...or be pirates.

Aye, ya scurvy dog!

All this so self-entitled folks can watch reruns of Sects in the City on a mobile device.  Bah frickin' humbug.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 09:16:55 AM »

Aye, ya scurvy dog!

All this so self-entitled folks can watch reruns of Sects in the City on a mobile device.  Bah frickin' humbug.

When this high-tech house of cards crumbles, I'll be back on the street corner with my fiddle.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 09:40:27 AM »

When this high-tech house of cards crumbles, I'll be back on the street corner with my fiddle.

You'll need a holographic projection, as nobody will comprehend a live person performing right in front of them. :(
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Randall Cook

• CRYSTAL HEAR
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 01:30:34 PM »

I'm at a loss here.  How is this possible and why isn't there a way to continue to use any or all wireless devices?  I've seen this in the past where some bands were sold.  I guess I just don't understand the whole issue.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 02:16:32 PM »

I'm at a loss here.  How is this possible and why isn't there a way to continue to use any or all wireless devices?  I've seen this in the past where some bands were sold.  I guess I just don't understand the whole issue.
The issue is the $40,000,000,000 that the 700Mhz band sold for, which is now empowering LTE and other technologies for a hundred million folks in the US.  I'm not happy about it either, but our wireless mic/IEM use of these bands is the flea on the tick on the elephant, related to other commercial use.  The FCC is aware of our plight, but they are concerned with the majority use, and another $40,000,000,000 for the gov't.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 03:08:08 PM »

The issue is the $40,000,000,000 that the 700Mhz band sold for, which is now empowering LTE and other technologies for a hundred million folks in the US.  I'm not happy about it either, but our wireless mic/IEM use of these bands is the flea on the tick on the elephant, related to other commercial use.  The FCC is aware of our plight, but they are concerned with the majority use, and another $40,000,000,000 for the gov't.

The revenue enhancement aspect was done by Congress, not by fiat of the FCC.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 04:54:47 PM »

This will continue to happen, as long as wireless mics operate in unlicensed frequencies.  We used to get away with finding free spots between TV broadcasts that were able to be used, but now with new technology, the entire bandwidth is more efficiently used up leaving no free space for the microphones to hide out.

The solution to this problem would be to have wireless mic manufacturers license a chunk of spectrum to be used exclusively for wireless mic products.  Of course, with what it costs to license frequencies, the result would be an astronomical increase in price of wireless hardware just to pay for it.

You could try to talk the FCC into reserving a chunk of bandwidth just for wireless mics, but as soon as someone with an open checkbook came along and wanted it, you'd be sure they would consider the sale.

Brian Jojade

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 07:27:37 PM »

This will continue to happen, as long as wireless mics operate in unlicensed frequencies.

It's not all unlicensed use, and hasn't been for a long time.  Those of us with BAS-LP licenses are in the same boat as the rest of the industry.

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
Back to VHF?
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 09:18:31 PM »

When the 700MHz band was taken away from us, I was glad I still had my VHF stuff to get by.  Last time I checked, 174–216 MHz is still available for wireless mic use.
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

ProSoundWeb Community

Back to VHF?
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 09:18:31 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.