ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems from open neutrals (Video)  (Read 3420 times)

Phil Graham

Problems from open neutrals (Video)
« on: December 17, 2013, 01:22:41 PM »

This 19min video is an interesting look at problems (e.g. fires) caused by open neutrals, courtesy of Mike Holt, whose site is an excellent resource for all things electricity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ_zzHpGBGw

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Problems from open neutrals (Video)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 05:21:44 PM »

This 19min video is an interesting look at problems (e.g. fires) caused by open neutrals, courtesy of Mike Holt, whose site is an excellent resource for all things electricity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ_zzHpGBGw

I've personally measured 5 volts AC between one side of a manufacturing plant and the other side several hundred feet away. We had a hint that something was wrong when we connected a CCTV camera back on the rail dock and ran a piece of coax several hundred feet to the guard shack. We had huge hum bars on the video and the coax felt warm to the touch. Our fix was video isolation baluns in the coax lines, but I'm sure there were all sorts of neutral currents running around the I-beams of the building.

The video above is fascinating in that it shows how a low-voltage/high-amperage arc can cause a fire inside a wood wall. Scary stuff when you think about it.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 12:11:09 AM »

maybe thats why i have seen arcs and felt tingles sometimes when adding electrical to an existing building. here in california the dirt is always shaking.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 12:11:09 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.